Article on how the '18 class compares with great UT recruiting classes of the past

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
I don't know if it has already been posted elsewhere in the recruiting forum, but here is the link to an excellent 24/7 Sports article that compares how the 2018 class currently compares with great UT recruiting classes of the past: http://247sports.com/Bolt/How-Vols-2018-class-stacks-up-to-great-Vols-classes-of-the-past-104019136. As much as we tend to lament the big in-state "fish" that got away, here is a particularly interesting observation: "The Volunteers have signed 40% of the four-plus-star prospects from the state of Tennessee the last four years (14 of 35), the fourth-best mark in the country among those whose home state had at least 30 such prospects during that span, trailing only Ohio State (45.0%), Alabama (45.8%%) and LSU (54.8%)."

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Is there more than 50 4 star plus coming out of LA every year?

No. According to a graph included with that article, Louisiana had a total of 62 four- and five-star recruits for the 2014-17 recruiting classes combined. Of course, LSU really has no instate competition for Bayou Bengal boys. Alabama at least has to compete with Auburn for homegrown talent. And, by comparison, I imagine that a fair percentage of kids from rust-belt cities in Ohio may go to Michigan, Notre Dame or Michigan State.

I was being a bit sarcastic but LSU pretty much gets who they want. Also, you've got to take into account supply and demand. If there's 6 SEC level defensive linemen in the state and LSU only needs 4, then they "miss" on two. Also, they sometimes may prefer a 3* over a 4* at times.

Im just saying that 54.8 is the best in the country so ain't nobody really "owning the state"

Tennessee is actually approaching Louisiana when it comes to producing instate talent. I think if we start dominating our state the way LSU has dominated their state, we could be in for another dominant run like we had in the 90s.

and yet over 40% leave...

They get who they want a majority of the time. Nobody is gonna get 100% especially when you don't even know what guys they want.

What you don't know is how many of those that "leave" are takes, have academic issues, have character issues, are overrated, etc.

They get who they want a majority of the time. Nobody is gonna get 100% especially when you don't even know what guys they want.

What you don't know is how many of those that "leave" are takes, have academic issues, have character issues, are overrated, etc.

still a lot smaller number than anyone of us would have guessed. I was expecting them getting over 70%.

still a lot smaller number than anyone of us would have guessed. I was expecting them getting over 70%.

I would guess they get over 70% of who they want from the state.

This is a weird stat. The more talent the state produces the harder it is to get all of them. I'm not sure what 247 was going for with this stat. You can't take it at face value. Just like most stats.

They didn't even list the stats for any of the schools in Florida, which, we know, has Division-1 recruits practically falling out of every palm tree. Of course, there is a LOT of competition for that talent, just among the big three (Florida, FSU and Miami).

I would guess they get over 70% of who they want from the state.

This is a weird stat. The more talent the state produces the harder it is to get all of them. I'm not sure what 247 was going for with this stat. You can't take it at face value. Just like most stats.

Like what is mentioned above it is also who you are competing with in the state. LSU competes with no other in-state school while Florida has 3. Txxas and Cali have many.

I know what you're saying. But you have to admit that last year was very weak on the homefront. Looks like this year is going to be totally different for us.
Not as much top end in-state talent this year so a few of the big boys are probably spending more time elsewhere.

It looks like we're on pace to finish about like A&M did last year, on the edge of the Top 10.

as someone who wanted to get as far away from home as possible for college (I went from Hawaii to Virginia for college. Navy family), the concept of "owning the state" always seemed like a bigger challenge than a lot of people gave it credit for. There's something alluring about putting yourself in a completely different environment for 4 years, even if you're going to be spending a lot of that time being a D1 athlete. Different recruits are going to have different levels of curiosity and desire to leave their home, but it's going to be there for a lot of recruits, and that creates an uphill battle for a lot of coaches to "own the state".

Reactions: 1 person
as someone who wanted to get as far away from home as possible for college (I went from Hawaii to Virginia for college. Navy family), the concept of "owning the state" always seemed like a bigger challenge than a lot of people gave it credit for. There's something alluring about putting yourself in a completely different environment for 4 years, even if you're going to be spending a lot of that time being a D1 athlete. Different recruits are going to have different levels of curiosity and desire to leave their home, but it's going to be there for a lot of recruits, and that creates an uphill battle for a lot of coaches to "own the state".

gets it.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back