'18 AL OLB Matthew Flint (Former UT commit 8/2/17)

1611992.jpg

Matthew Flint

3* player, 6'0.5" 213lbs., OLB, high school junior,
Madison County High School, Gurley, ALA,
40 yd dash- 4.57
Shuttle- 4.49
Vertical- 35.8"
Bench Press- 300
Squat- 480
Class of 2018

Football Stats: Matthew Flint's (Gurley, AL) Football Stats | MaxPreps

#55th ranked OLB & #785th ranked recruit overall in the 2018 class.

247 Sports

Hudl

Scout

Rivals

Max Preps

Twitter

UT offered today 4-15-17 while he was on a UT visit. Other offers to date include Louisville, Auburn, Memphis, Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, Troy, WKU, Arkansas State, & South Alabama.

Gurley, Alabama linebacker Matthew Flint admits he had been waiting on the word from Tennessee. Word he got two weekends ago when he was in Knoxville. “They offered when I was up there,” the 6-0, 215 pound linebacker said. “My reaction was more like finally. I have been waiting on it for a while and thought they were going to offer earlier.”

“I had been there a couple of times before for camps,” Flint said. “I was there my sophomore year. The people are enjoyable up there. Their facilities are good and I like the coaches “After the offer, it puts them up there. They are putting a 'backer into the league this year in Jalen Reeves Maybin and you want to do somewhere that is developing players for the NFL.”

“I would like to play in the SEC,” Flint said. “Being from the south I have watched the SEC. It's the elite conference. They put so many in the pros. They are always in the playoffs.”

“I want to make in December,” Flint said of his decision timeline. “I want to make some more visits and see how things go this fall before deciding.” As for what's key to his decision, Flint said it will come down to his rapport with people. “The biggest key for me is my relationships with the coaches and players. What school makes me feel most comfortable.”

-VQ

Reactions: 6 people
As for what's key to his decision, Flint said it will come down to his rapport with people. “The biggest key for me is my relationships with the coaches and players. What school makes me feel most comfortable.”

That bodes well for the Vols, based on literally every commit thus far raving about our coaching staff and their rapport, family atmosphere.

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee continues to search for the right fit at linebacker for its 2018 class, and with limited spots, the Vols have zeroed in on a couple super athletic, versatile hitman.

Gurley, Ala. native Matthew Flint is one of those prospects.

The 6-foot-0.5, 213-pound outside linebacker tested off the charts at the Atlanta Opening in late March, running a 4.57-second 40-yard dash and recording a 36-inch vertical jump. Roughly two weeks later, Flint earned a UT offer.

“I’ve been talking to Tennessee a whole lot lately. I’ve been talking to (linebackers coach Tommy) Thigpen a lot, and Butch Jones has been texting me honestly, too,” Flint said. “They have a lot of interest in me, so I can’t help but not show them back interest.”

As a junior, Flint averaged 7 tackles a game and recorded five sacks and three forced fumbles. He also played receiver, leading the Tigers with 9 touchdowns.

“I’ve got speed and covering ability. I’m a hybrid linebacker,” he said. “I’m not your average hit-a-hole ‘backer. I can cover tight ends, running backs out the backfield. I’m just a hybrid player that you need now.

"The game is evolving from a running game to a passing game. People like to spread you out and throw the football. I’m a linebacker that not only can come in and stop the run, but ain’t got to take me out when teams start throwing the ball all over the place. I can cover.”

The Madison County Schools linebacker has visited Tennessee multiple times in the last two years, including a pair of visits this spring. He attended a Junior Day and later returned to campus for a spring scrimmage.

As a sophomore, Flint camped at UT, and frustratingly went home without an offer. Still, he never soured on the Vols and is glad he ultimately earned Thigpen’s admiration this spring.

“I’ve known Thigpen since my sophomore year. I had to keep on working for it, but to finally get that offer, it was a big deal to me,” Flint said.

Along with Tennessee, the 3-star linebacker holds early interest from Ole Miss, Louisville, Vanderbilt and Auburn, among others. He has ties to the Tigers and plans to camp at Alabama this summer, hoping to earn an offer from the home-state Crimson Tide.

Still, two teams are currently leaning on Flint the most right now.

“Tennessee, along with Ole Miss, are the top two schools recruiting me the hardest right now,” Flint said, adding that the Vols made him a priority visit during the spring evaluation period.

“I’m considering Tennessee very highly because for me, I want to find a school that’s interested in me. I want to go somewhere that wants me to play for their program.”

Flint is teammates with another Tennessee target: tailback Tae Provens. The two have been friends for nearly a decade and have talked at length about possibility playing together in college. Flint said Proves remains a big fan of the Vols.

“He talks about Tennessee a whole lot. His mom is from Tennessee and he has a lot of family up there, so it’s just a quick, natural link for him,” Flint said.

“It’s a good place for him.

Like Provens, Flint is an early enrollee and hopes to make a decision by the end of the summer. He’ll give the Vols a long look and plans to be back in town again sometime this summer.

“I kind of want to commit before the season, but I’m not really sure yet. I don’t want to rush it or anything. I do kind of want to put things together,” he said.

“I’m sure I’ll be in Knoxville pretty soon again. It’s not too far away. I saw Thig at Junior Day and came back for another scrimmage practice. I’m sure he’ll work his way to get me to visit again soon.”

-- Simonton

Reactions: 5 people
I could get on board with that package deal, it sounds like he is highly productive.

Flint was at OCD...

THE SKINNY — Tennessee doesn’t look like it has a huge linebacker board at the moment and don’t currently have one among their 12 commitments.

Clearly though it seems that Gurley, Al. prospect Matthew Flint sits high on the wishlist at the position. It also seems like the feeling is rather mutual at the moment.

Flint hasn’t released a firm Top 5 yet but made it clear that Tennessee will be in that group when the time comes. The only school he mentioned in that light.

“I’m going to take my time with my decision but Tennessee is definitely in my head,” Flint said.

“I don’t really have a list right now but I know I have Tennessee on that list but I don't have it all figured out.”

-VQ

Reactions: 3 people
A quick glance at what’s shaping up to be a noteworthy 2018 recruiting class for the Vols shows that there’s one position that could use some attention. That’s at linebacker, where Alabama prospect Matthew Flint is emerging as a top target for Tennessee. Flint (6-foot-0, 205 pounds), from Gurley, Ala., was part of a huge contingent of Vols targets on campus this past weekend for 'Orange Carpet Day.' Like many of his peers we’ve spoken to, Flint came away impressed with the atmosphere.

“This was my fourth time being up here, so I didn’t see a lot that I hadn’t seen before but it was all really good. I walked around a lot and just looked at everything. I love it up here and it just gave me a chance to get more familiar with the campus and the coaching staff. I just love being up here,” Flint said of his latest trip to Knoxville.

In a class that currently contains 13 commitments, the Vols have yet to land a linebacker. That would seem to make Flint something of a priority moving forward. He’s certainly felt the love from Tennessee inebackers coach Tommy Thigpen. Flint has yet to trim things down to an official group of finalists, but he’s seen enough of the Vols at this point to know that they’re going to be in that group when the time comes.

“I’m going to take my time with my decision but Tennessee is definitely in my head,” Flint said. “I don’t really have a list right now but I know I have Tennessee on that list but I don't have it all figured out.” Flint indicated that in addition to Tennessee, the programs he hears from the most consistently are Ole Miss, Penn State and Alabama. One of the reasons that Tennessee appears to be in solid position with Flint right now is a developing relationship with Thigpen.

“The main thing that I look for when I come on a visit like this is to see what my relationship with the coaches would be like. I have that here. I’m really cool with Coach Thig, with Butch Jones. I’m really good with them,” Flint shared. “Coach Thig is the coolest coach and that’s the linebacker coach. I’m in good hands when I come here to visit.”

With so many current commits on hand for the event this past weekend there was plenty of ‘peer recruiting’ taking place and Flint said that he received his share of it. “There were a couple of guys in my ear about it. I know some of the commitments from being at camps and stuff. They were talking to me about how we needed to come here together. I’m taking my time though. I’m going to give things a lot of thought,” he said of the message he got from those current commits.

-VQ

Per Hubbs

So where does Tennessee stand at linebacker? The Vols are waiting on Cam Jones or Matthew Flint. We are told Tennessee is starting to push for Flint with Jones seemingly in a holding pattern because he doesn't want to rush his decision. With that said, Jones does plan on announcing before his high school season next month.

caught up with Matthew Flint...

Tonight. Story in A.M. The linebacker has a Top 3 of Tennessee, Ole Miss and Louisville. Has great relationship with coaches at UT and Ole Miss. Rebels not eliminated after Freeze scandal.
Did note how hard UT has been on him lately, said he talks "fluently with Jones and Thig."

The LB said, "They want me in. It’s just all up to me. I know that. I know that if I got to Tennessee that they’re going to take care of me."

- Simonton

Reactions: 6 people
-
Originally Posted by :
caught up with Matthew Flint...

Tonight. Story in A.M. The linebacker has a Top 3 of Tennessee, Ole Miss and Louisville. Has great relationship with coaches at UT and Ole Miss. Rebels not eliminated after Freeze scandal.
Did note how hard UT has been on him lately, said he talks "fluently with Jones and Thig."

The LB said, "They want me in. It’s just all up to me. I know that. I know that if I got to Tennessee that they’re going to take care of me."

Simonton

Alright, so down to us and Louisville then...

Reactions: 1 person
That Ole Miss not eliminated is a bunch of hog wash. He'd be insane to go there. He'd probably be the only recruit that signs with them this year if he decided to go there.

Reading the tea leaves, Cam Jones better jump in the boat ASAP or Flint is going to take his spot soon.

“I’m just weighing out all my options,” Flint told VolQuest. “I have a great relationship with Tennessee and the coaches. Me and Butch (Jones), we talk fluently, everyday. Me and Thig, we talk everyday. I’m just trying to build a relationship with coach (Bob) Shoop since he’s a bit newer to the system. We aren’t as close yet, but we’ll grow. I’m not really worried about that right now. I’m in a good place.”

“I already know if I want to come there, they want me in. It’s just all up to me,” he said. “I know that. I know that if I got to Tennessee that they’re going to take care of me. They’re going to do their best to coach me up and I’m going to do my best to be the best player I can be there. I’m not worried about not reaching my full potential if I went there.”

With just one spot, Flint, along with in-state athlete Cam Jones, are Tennessee’s top options currently, and the 6-foot-0.5- 213-pound rising senior said it’s “a big deal” to be “highly wanted.” Flint averaged 7.0 tackles a game in 2016, adding five sacks, three forced fumbles and nine receiving touchdowns. “At that level, especially from a top SEC school is a big deal to me. I just have to keep working,” he said.

Despite the recent scandals at Ole Miss, Flint has not eliminated the Rebels from contention. There’s concern about the NCAA cloud, but Flint has established real connections with defensive coordinator Wesley McGriff and linebackers coach Bradley Dale Peveto. “I still have some of my best relationships with coaches at Ole Miss,” he said.

“That’s what I’m looking for. It’s really just coaching relationships. I can fit into any scheme if I work with the coaches. Academics are important, but at any of these schools you can get a degree and be far off and ahead (of the curve).”

Flint is a future early enrollee, so a decision will come sometime in early Fall. He has no set date in mind, but he hopes to take some early trips in September and then zero in on his college choice. "I’m hoping to take my official visits as soon as the school starts and then make my decision," he said.

-VQ

We keep hearing one spot left. Why would we dare let either of these guys walk if they both want to come? Its not like we are extremely blessed with talented LB's.

We talk gooder that mostest of the people's.

Yeah, but admittedly I had the opportunity to attend The School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Do Other Things Good Too, so I do a lot of other things more gooder than dumb peoples. Like talking. I do that real goodly.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back