Running Back
Ht 6-0
Wt 194
CLASS OF 19

247 - John Emery Jr., Destrehan, Running Back

SCOUT - http://www.scout.com/player/214477-john-emery/news?year=2018

HUDL - John Emery on Hudl

OFFERS - Arky, Aubby, UGa, LSU, Ole Miss, Kansas, UNC, VOLS

He received that offer that all LA Boys look for back in January. It;'s a long way to NSD for him, but he could be one to watch going forward. Runs like an upper classman.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-john-emery-jr-top-eight/amp

The 6-foot, 194-pound Emery is a legacy recruit but the Vols didn’t make his Top 8 list on Friday because of that. “My dad played there, but I don’t think that’s why I have interest in Tennessee,” Emery told SEC Country’s Sam Spiegelman exclusively. “They have been on the down low the past couple of years, but I’ve been there a couple of times with my dad and the environment. “I could see myself at Tennessee, no doubt.”

“I don’t know much about Tennessee,” Emery said. “The running backs coach that was there and I was talking to is gone. I’m actually building a relationship with the new running backs coach.”

Emery will learn more about the Vols in April. He plans to visit on April 14. Past Vols, not even his father, might be helping in this recruitment, too. The Destrehan, La., native watched former Vol Alvin Kamara win Rookie of the Year with the New Orleans Saints in 2017. “I can see myself there, no doubt,” Emery said. “Alvin Kamara did his thing at Tennessee, too, so why not?”

LSU might have the inside track in the recruitment at this point. The Vols could possibly offer early playing time which could sway a decision. Sophomore Ty Chandler is built for a spread offense and the coaching staff added graduate transfer Madre London to help carry the running load. There is a path to early playing time on Rocky Top which seems to be one of his major deciding factors.

“My plan going into college is starting,” Emery explained. “I don’t want to be a No. 2. I want to be No. 1. I also have to think about the long-term and making it to the league. I don’t want my body beat up, so that’s something I need to look at.

“I feel like I should be that No. 1 like Leonard Fournette [at LSU] and the amount of carries he got each game. I don’t want to be Derrius Guice when Fournette was playing. I plan on starting and that’s the goal I have set up. I plan on starting when I go to college and doing big things. I don’t plan on being No. 2 or being a part of a duo. However, I’ll play my part, but my goal is eventually to be No. 1 for sure.”

From SEC Country:

Emery did not attend LSU’s elite junior day, but took in the team’s first spring scrimmage on March 17. Emery spent much of his junior year in and around the facilities and made the majority of home games in the fall. “I can see myself there,” Emery said. “I love LSU. It’s home. Every time I go there, it’s a good time. I can make big moves at LSU.”

On Auburn

Emery attended Auburn’s junior day in March and the Tigers’ coaching staff had a unique opportunity to push their spread offense concepts to the 4-star back, which made a strong impression. “Auburn is ‘RBU,'” Emery said. “Their offense is similar to the one I have in high school. I can see myself at Auburn, a very productive school. When I went out there, they let me know the real …. I can see myself there. Auburn is doing big things.”

On Florida

Emery’s most recent visit was to The Swamp, where he re-connected with coach Dan Mullen and assistant Greg Knox, who recruited the blue-chip running back while they were at Mississippi State. “I’ve always had interest in Florida, and going out there, it boosted it,” Emery said. “Talking to Coach Mullen, the feeling, the energy out there was real. It felt like family out there and Coach Mullen, he was giving me the real. I felt a great vibe.”

On Georgia

Georgia was one of Emery’s early offers. He actually spent part of his childhood in Georgia, so returning back is not out of the question. Emery plans on making his first visit to Athens, Ga., on April 6. “Looking at the past running backs that came there and the success they had,” Emery began. “I like the way they utilize their running backs and the program is great.”

On Tennessee

Emery, of course, is a Tennessee legacy. His father played for the Vols so there are glaring connections to the program. The 4-star running back will likely stop on campus in mid-April. “I could see myself at Tennessee, no doubt,” Emery said. “I’m building a relationship with the new running backs coach.”

On Mississippi State

Emery has yet to make his way to Starkville, Miss., but the new-look Mississippi State staff has arguably been courting Emery the hardest of any SEC school. “They have all been showing love,” Emery said in reference to the schools in his top eight. “Tennessee and Florida, they have definitely shown a lot of love, but Mississippi State, they have definitely been showing the most love.”

From SEC Country:

Emery did not attend LSU’s elite junior day, but took in the team’s first spring scrimmage on March 17. Emery spent much of his junior year in and around the facilities and made the majority of home games in the fall. “I can see myself there,” Emery said. “I love LSU. It’s home. Every time I go there, it’s a good time. I can make big moves at LSU.”

On Auburn

Emery attended Auburn’s junior day in March and the Tigers’ coaching staff had a unique opportunity to push their spread offense concepts to the 4-star back, which made a strong impression. “Auburn is ‘RBU,'” Emery said. “Their offense is similar to the one I have in high school. I can see myself at Auburn, a very productive school. When I went out there, they let me know the real …. I can see myself there. Auburn is doing big things.”

On Florida

Emery’s most recent visit was to The Swamp, where he re-connected with coach Dan Mullen and assistant Greg Knox, who recruited the blue-chip running back while they were at Mississippi State. “I’ve always had interest in Florida, and going out there, it boosted it,” Emery said. “Talking to Coach Mullen, the feeling, the energy out there was real. It felt like family out there and Coach Mullen, he was giving me the real. I felt a great vibe.”

On Georgia

Georgia was one of Emery’s early offers. He actually spent part of his childhood in Georgia, so returning back is not out of the question. Emery plans on making his first visit to Athens, Ga., on April 6. “Looking at the past running backs that came there and the success they had,” Emery began. “I like the way they utilize their running backs and the program is great.”

On Tennessee

Emery, of course, is a Tennessee legacy. His father played for the Vols so there are glaring connections to the program. The 4-star running back will likely stop on campus in mid-April. “I could see myself at Tennessee, no doubt,” Emery said. “I’m building a relationship with the new running backs coach.”

On Mississippi State

Emery has yet to make his way to Starkville, Miss., but the new-look Mississippi State staff has arguably been courting Emery the hardest of any SEC school. “They have all been showing love,” Emery said in reference to the schools in his top eight. “Tennessee and Florida, they have definitely shown a lot of love, but Mississippi State, they have definitely been showing the most love.”

This makes it seem like we aren't seriously in it. Just seems like a pretty generic answer.

This makes it seem like we aren't seriously in it. Just seems like a pretty generic answer.

I took it as we're in it because of our history and his dad but he hasn't had a chance to build relationships with our new coaches yet. He probably goes to LSU but I wouldn't read that and say we're out of it.

Emery's dad was a 6-2, 255-lb DE for UT who left halfway through the '95 season, his junior year, due to homesickness. Transferred to Nicholls State in LA where he won all-conference honors in '96.

Not to sound like a snob here but his comments are really off putting.

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but he sounds like he expects to be handed the starting spot, and talks like making the NFL is a given, not a goal. Can’t say I’ve heard too many 17 year olds say ‘don’t want to be a #2, and I don’t want my body to take too much punishment before the NFL.’

I’ll pay attention to how he acts and says the next year, but first impression is I’m hoping we can land a similarly talented kid but who has an ounce of hunger and humility.

Emery's dad was a 6-2, 255-lb DE for UT who left halfway through the '95 season, his junior year, due to homesickness. Transferred to Nicholls State in LA where he won all-conference honors in '96.

I feel dumb now searching through 93 and 94 rosters for guys from LA when obviously John Emery Jr.'s dad was named John Emery.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM

VN Store

Back