'18 SC JUCO DE Dorian Gerald (UT Commit 07/06/17)

1618688.jpg

Dorian Gerald

3* player, 6'3" 250lbs., DE,
College of the Canyon Cougars(from Columbia, SC out of West Florence High School),
40 yd dash- 4.65
Class of 2018

Football Stats: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/dorian-gerald/lm8sxiR2EeS00gAmVebEWg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

247 Sports

Hudl

Rivals

Scout

Max Preps

Twitter

UT offered on 4-5-17. Other offers include Memphis, South Carolina, Arizona State, Marshall, Syracuse, UT, Colorado State, Washington State, UTSA, & Georgia State.

Please excuse a likely ignorant question.... but when it says "Class of 2018" for a JUCO player, does that mean he's going into his senior year at his junior college, and if he accepted our offer, we'd get him for one season?

Please excuse a likely ignorant question.... but when it says "Class of 2018" for a JUCO player, does that mean he's going into his senior year at his junior college, and if he accepted our offer, we'd get him for one season?

Should be a sophomore and you get him for two years.

Reactions: 1 person
Why are we competing with Marshall, Memphis, UTSA, and Georgia State for recruits this early? Is recruiting starting off that bad again this year? I've noticed several offers with less than stellar offer lists. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Reactions: 2 people
Why are we competing with Marshall, Memphis, UTSA, and Georgia State for recruits this early? Is recruiting starting off that bad again this year? I've noticed several offers with less than stellar offer lists. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

We offered so other coaches will take a look at his film. Some offers will start rolling in for him

Class is just the year the player (HS or JC) is eligible to play at the new school. Like Jason said, Gerald will be a junior with 3 years to play 2 (one year available to redshirt if desired). The situations can vary, for instance Kamara and Kongbo both had 3 years left after JUCO.

Reactions: 3 people
Class is just the year the player (HS or JC) is eligible to play at the new school. Like Jason said, Gerald will be a junior with 3 years to play 2 (one year available to redshirt if desired). The situations can vary, for instance Kamara and Kongbo both had 3 years left after JUCO.

Very good explanation Kristy*. :good!:

The College of Canyons (Calif.) prospect picked up offers from two SEC schools Wednesday, getting phone calls from both South Carolina and Tennessee. “My coach called me and said, ‘You need to get on the phone and call coach (Walt) Wells. I think he got something important to tell you,’” Gerald told Volquest. “At that time, I already knew what was going to happen. Coach Wells called me, we talked and everything. He told me he talked to coach Butch Jones and said that they wanted to offer me and have me come play for Tennessee.”

Originally a Florence, S.C. native, Gerald wasn’t recruited much out of high school, only getting interest from programs like Appalachian State. But never got an offer, so he went the JUCO route to get bigger, stronger and more exposure. After a year where he recorded 12 sacks, 24 tackles for loss and four forced fumbles, the interest has certainly ramped up.

“South Carolina, Tennessee those are offers that people dream of having. I’ve dreamt of this,” Gerald said, gushing. “It meant a lot to me and my family. Those two are huge. Distance from home, I can’t get no further than California, so location won’t really play a huge factor in my decision, but it’s great to have opportunities (so close to home). I can’t put an emphasis on how great it is that schools back home in the South want me to come back home. That they’re expressing interest in me coming back.”

“Of course, I’m going to have to work anyway. I’m not saying I don’t want to go anywhere and work, because I know I’m going to work. Work is what got me here. But I want to know if (schools) are wanting me to come in and compete for a starting job? Do y’all need me? And then just good relationships. Those two things are just huge for me.”

“Once I’m committed to a school, I’m 100 percent all in. There’s no turning back for me. Once I tell a school, ‘Hey. I’m yours. I’m coming to you guys.’ There’s nothing else that anyone can do to turn me back from that,” Gerald explained. “So I want to make sure that choice I’m making that the choice is right and going to help me and my family at the same time.”

-VQ

Reactions: 6 people
Alabama hasn't shied away from signing junior college defensive linemen in recent recruiting cycles. On Tuesday night, the Tide staff put an offer on the table for another one as College of the Canyons (Calif.) defensive end Dorian Gerald reported an offer from UA on his Twitter account.

Very blessed and honored to have received an offer from the University of Alabama #RollTide pic.twitter.com/fWoNCbIZ7v
— Dorian Gerald (@TopNotchDG) May 3, 2017

Gerald, originally from Florence, S.C., holds a handful of offers with Tennessee and South Carolina being the first SEC programs to throw their hats in the ring.

The 6-foot-3, 250-pounder expects to graduate in December and enroll early, at which point he has three years to play his final two seasons of eligibility.

The Gamecocks are the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite with 100 percent of the predictions.

It seems you are the one that jumped too early.

Reactions: 7 people

Because when yer a mid-major coach you recruit mid-major players, that's what you do.

Reactions: 4 people
Originally from Florence, South Carolina, Gerald loves the south. He'd also love to make it back this way for the next phase of his football journey, but doesn't say it's a necessity.

"It would be nice but it has nothing to do with my decision," Gerald said. "If the relationship is closer to home then that's the place to be. I'm already in California and I only have two more years to stay so the distance isn't that big of a factor. I want to find the best place that fits me."

"Coach Hoke and coach Wells are my recruiters," Gerald said. "Coach (Butch) Jones has been getting really involved right now. He has been really reaching out to me in recent weeks. I know they had a great one in Derek Barnett. He was a great player. They want me to come in and play that role. Of course, I'm going to have to work because he set records, but they feel like I can come in and fill in the gap."

Arizona State, Georgia, Florida, Louisville, North Carolina State are all recruiting him extremely hard. He hears from South Carolina, Georgia, Louisville and Tennessee on a daily basis. He also has offers from Alabama, LSU and several other top programs. He will unveil his Top 10 on June 1st, and says Tennessee is definitely going to be inside that list and potentially a visit in the near future.

"I'm planning on coming in for a visit when I come in next month," Gerald said. "I'm in for three weeks and the coaches are wanting to have me over and I'm planning on that trip. I have a lot of schools wanting me to come for a visit. "It's not to far from my hometown. I just looked it up and it's five hours."

-VQ

Reactions: 6 people
Ominous tweet from Dorian that was retweeted by Price with the 👀. I'd attach the tweet but I'm twitter deficient.

[Twitter]https://twitter.com/topnotchdg/status/869718107886985217[/Twitter]

[Twitter]https://twitter.com/austinpriceless/status/869718995334828034[/Twitter]

VN Store

Back