RR: 5.8
Ht: 6'1"
Wt: 210 lbs
Class: 2018

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/82726

Cameron McGrone, Lawrence Central, Outside Linebacker

Cameron McGrone - Hudl

Junior Day update...

LB Cameron McGrone from Darin Kirkland's HS was here and said Tennessee was his best visit to this point. He has also seen Ohio State and Notre Dame already. He's heading to Wisconsin tomorrow. He said the visit today was really real and was happy he got to visit a good bit with Kirkland and he spent a good bit of time with Thigpen and Bob Shoop.

-Hubbs

Reactions: 5 people
McGrone is friends with current Vol Darin Kirkland, Jr. and he knew the SEC is serious about football, but the 6-1, 205 pound linebacker got a real sense of what Tennessee is all about. “It was amazing,” McGrone admitted. “It was unlike any other college that I have been to so far from the whole aspect of the academics plus the sports. It was just different than anywhere else.

“Coach(Derek) Day, coach (Brady) Hoke, and coach (Tommy) Thigpen is who I visited with the most. They showed that they really cared about me. That was really special. “Of course it's the SEC so I know that there facilities are going to be top notch. Just everything was going to be top notch, but just coming here and and seeing it for myself was really great.”

“It's really how they are recruiting me,” McGrone explained. “Being able to talk to Darin and see what he really thought about it from his experience alone. That carries a lot of weight with me. I have known him for a while and to hear him to say it. I know it's true. I know what Tennessee is all about.”

“For me, just the way the coaches treat me and the academics,” McGrone offered when asked what was key to his decision. “My parent and I have been talking for a long time football is going to end at some point so we want to know the coaches are going to make sure I get my degree and have a career. I just want to make sure if the football thing doesn't work out I have my degree.”

McGrone, who is coming off a knee injury, is hoping to return for a game in Knoxville to see what the atmosphere is like as he hopes to have a decision early next winter. “I am kind of hoping to have decision towards the end of my senior season to make sure I have all the options that I might want to have. I just want all the schools to see me in my senior season.”

-VQ

Reactions: 3 people
Four-star linebacker Cameron McGrone of Indianapolis picked up an offer from Tennessee on Saturday while visiting the Vols for the first time, and the former teammate of UT linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. made it clear that Tennessee was unlike any other school he has visited to this point. McGrone, who’s coming off fall surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, has nearly 20 offers and is strongly considering several schools. But he’s already planning to visit the Vols again, and Saturday’s visit should give them a chance to emerge as a legitimate contender for him.

- 247 (Callahan)

Reactions: 2 people
Is this your name when you are too old to be in the McDonalds playland?

In my opinion after talking to him today, Tennessee probably leads right now.
He'll camp at Notre Dame on June 10. A 3.9 student from 2 hours away from South Bend, if the Irish offer, McGrone admits that could be a game-changer. That doesn't mean they'd beat out Tennessee but he really likes the Irish.
Thigpen and Hoke doing a good job here. Darrin Kirkland connection too.

-Wiltfong

Reactions: 4 people
So if ND offers he's McGone?

Probably. I didn't think ND would offer, but their recruiting is not going too well so I wouldn't be surprised if they do. That's not to say McGrone isn't a great prospect. He's been my favorite LB on Tennessee's board for a while now. Hopefully the long standing relationship with Tennessee would still win out.

Probably. I didn't think ND would offer, but their recruiting is not going too well so I wouldn't be surprised if they do. That's not to say McGrone isn't a great prospect. He's been my favorite LB on Tennessee's board for a while now. Hopefully the long standing relationship with Tennessee would still win out.

How is their recruiting not going well if they have a top 5 class lol ?

Notre Dame has three linebackers committed FWIW. I'm not sure how many they plan on taking.

Last edited:
They are all three stars on 247, but the fact that ND took their commitments and haven't offered McGrone suggests they like them better.

Sadly our fans would be losing their minds if this was UT. They would say the hell with an eval and get the stars

VN Store

Back