Josh Whyle

3* (247 Sports, 4* Scout), 6'6" 215lbs., TE, high school junior,
LaSalle High School, Cincinnati, OH,
40 yd dash- 4.77
Shuttle- 4.09

Class of 2018

Football Stats: Josh Whyle's (Cincinnati, OH) Football Stats | MaxPreps

Tennessee Offer: Cincinnati tight end gets offer from Tennessee

#16th TE & #334th ranked recruit overall in the 2018 class.

Evaluation

Overall athleticism and ball skills are very good. Long kid who can leap and go up and get the ball. Routinely makes tough grabs in traffic and over top of defenders. Leaner kid, but shows good ability as a blocker. Gives good effort there and plays with some attitude. Smooth after the catch. Shows ability to be elusive but also breaks tackles. At about 215 pounds, he currently stands as a bit of a tweener, so will just have to bulk up in college, but a kid who will create a lot of matchup issues and can be moved around the formation.

Strengths

• Body Control
  • Hands and Concentration
  • High-Pointing
Areas to Improve

• Strength
247 Sports

Hudl

Scout

Rivals

Max Preps

UT offered on 3-3-17. The UT offer puts Josh Whyle over 15 D1 offers to date.

Last edited:
The three-star junior tight end from Cincinnati’s La Salle High School said he picked up a “huge” scholarship offer from Tennessee a little more than a week ago, and he’s “excited” to take a firsthand look at the Vols, perhaps as early as this spring.

Whyle, who now holds offers from more than 25 schools, said La Salle athletic director Keith Pantling, the Vols’ former associate director of football operations under Jones, recently reached out to Tennessee to see whether the Vols might be interested in him. They immediately were intrigued by what they saw on him.

“They just love my abilities, like how I play on the field. They said they don’t see too many guys with my height and size that can run like me and catch the ball like me and stuff. That’s just very exciting for me. They said I’m one of their number-one recruits — like, they need me and stuff. That means a lot to me.”

The 6-foot-6, 215-pound Whyle said new Tennessee defensive line coach Brady Hoke talked with him on the phone and “wanted to get me down here for a spring practice or something.” The next day, he learned of his offer from the Vols. “It was just huge for me. I mean, you see these schools like Tennessee and big SEC schools playing on the TV when you’re younger, and you’re just like, ‘That would be amazing if I could ever do that,’” Whyle said.

“It’s just insane. Actually, coach Butch Jones has texted me the past couple days, and that just stands out to me just because he’s the head coach. I’m sure he has plenty of other things to do. He’s just texting me and asking, ‘How’s it going?’ and stuff, so that’s kind of huge for me.”

“I think I would love a Tennessee-type school and how they run their offense, just because they utilize the tight end very well,” Whyle said. “Tennessee was just saying they could really use me as both a blocker and a wide receiver so they don’t have to substitute and stuff. …“I mean, Tennessee is probably one of the biggest schools in the nation. Me and my coach, we sat down and talked about it. Usually, after every offer, we sit down and talk about it, just very briefly. He said I would definitely like Tennessee because they utilize their tight end very well, and Coach Scott made that very clear when he called me on the phone. I’m excited.

“My dream growing up has always been to play in the NFL, and I think they could get me ready for that. And then, obviously, the nature of (Tennessee) and stuff like that is always a plus.”

- 247 (Callahan)

Said he has received 10 offers since March 1, but he would still like to make a decision at some point during the summer before his senior season.

Reactions: 3 people
How many TE's will be in this recruiting class? I thought Warren and Mitchell would be it.

VN Store

Back