'18 PA WR Darryle Simmons

four-star junior wide receiver darryle simmons of st. Joseph's preparatory school in philadelphia posted on his twitter account monday afternoon that he received a scholarship offer from tennessee.

"beyond grateful to be offered by the university of tennessee," he tweeted.

The 6-foot-2, 196-pound simmons holds offers from at least 10 schools, including penn state, west virginia, virginia, virginia tech, kentucky, pittsburgh, rutgers and vanderbilt.

He's ranked by 247sports as the no. 281 overall prospect and no. 45 wide receiver in the 2018 class. In the industry-generated 247sports composite, he's a three-star prospect who's ranked the nation's no. 319 overall player and no. 50 wide receiver.

Simmons released his top 6 today: Philadelphia WR releases top six
C6LnQPXWUAQ6vYf.jpg:large

The three-star junior wide receiver from St. Joseph’s Preparatory School in Philadelphia said his visit to Tennessee on Saturday “exceeded my expectations,” and the Vols made the list of his top six college choices that he released Sunday afternoon. Simmons’ current list of favorites consists of Tennessee, Maryland, Penn State, North Carolina, West Virginia and Virginia Tech, in no particular order.

“I saw the whole fan base and everything, and once (Tennessee) offered, I knew I would want to see what they had to offer,” said Simmons, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 370 overall prospect and No. 61 wide receiver in the 247Sports Composite for the 2018 class. “I expected a lot, but it exceeded my expectations in terms of the facilities and the quality of the coaching staff.”

“I talked to the previous coaching staff,” said Simmons, who initially was recruited for the Vols by former offensive line coach Don Mahoney. “I liked the previous coaching staff. But now they’ve definitely moved up my list with the new additions to the coaching staff and with everything I saw (Saturday).”

“I probably spent the most time with Coach Beard,” Simmons said. “I knew him since last year when he was coaching at Georgia as a quality control coach. He was talking to me a lot when they were at Georgia. I went down a couple times, and now he’s at Tennessee. It’s a big deal. I didn't know he got hired ’til (Saturday). It was a big surprise.”

“I think the future of Tennessee is definitely going in the right direction,” Simmons said. “I would say (I like) the coaching staff — probably a mixture of the coaching staff, the fan base and the facilities.”

- 247 (Callahan)

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back