Is Butch really recruiting to his strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wylo

Nega what?
I'll gladly admit to not following recruiting. But curiosity drives me from under the rock.

A few questions:

Does Butch really recruit to his philosophies? It seems like he wants to run one kind of offense but brings in players for a different style.

I've read about possible last second flip flops. Are there worries about some of the bigger names leaving at the last minute?

Should Butch just say eff it and run an old school veer type offense? Serious question. Wide receiver and especially tight end seem to be more for decoy than use.

Reactions: 4 people
Wylo : Wide receiver and especially tight end seem to be more for decoy than use.
Butch's Response : Both WR and TE coaches are currently being considered for OC

Fan base : Face-palm !!

Reactions: 1 person
I'll gladly admit to not following recruiting. But curiosity drives me from under the rock.

A few questions:

Does Butch really recruit to his philosophies? It seems like he wants to run one kind of offense but brings in players for a different style.

I've read about possible last second flip flops. Are there worries about some of the bigger names leaving at the last minute?

Should Butch just say eff it and run an old school veer type offense? Serious question. Wide receiver and especially tight end seem to be more for decoy than use.

Hurd is the only one he's recruited that doesn't fit his offensive philosophy imo. Maybe Dormady, so not sure where you're coming from on that. Can you elaborate?

Reactions: 3 people

His recruiting, staff, development, and play calling raised our pathetic offense to 2nd in the SEC this year. It was very successful, so if he did not recruit to his philosophy, then he screwed up really well. Jalen Hurd was set to be the #1 RB in UT history before quitting. So if he was the wrong kind of recruit, then the skies the limit for the next guys.

He's had more than one last minute flip flops that were big time recruits who came our way. So, it may get even better.

I think the #s of our offense speak for themselves. I can't imagine the thinking behind the fans who want us to throw out what is effective and change to something antique and unproven.

All JMO.

Reactions: 7 people
Side bar: During the years of Air Volunteers, how many 1,000-yard rushers played for Tennessee? How would you compare recruiting then to now?

His recruiting, staff, development, and play calling raised our pathetic offense to 2nd in the SEC this year. It was very successful, so if he did not recruit to his philosophy, then he screwed up really well. Jalen Hurd was set to be the #1 RB in UT history before quitting. So if he was the wrong kind of recruit, then the skies the limit for the next guys.

I think the problem that most have with your analysis is that we had Dobbs, who is probably the best QB we've had since the GOAT. So yea, give Butch credit... he found Dobbs and got him to come here. At the same time, Butch's "system" didn't put up that many points against the best competition we had last year. It's pretty normal for teams to overachieve during cycles where they have top 10 QB's, but history also shows that it is unlikely that a team can maintain a string of top 10 QB's. How will UT's offense look next year if we don't have a future top 10 QB on our roster? Many people are extrapolating (myself included) that it might not be so great considering how it performed with an extremely talented lineup this past season against strong defenses. Because of that, we wanted a proven coordinator and playcaller who runs a similar system. Instead, we got a TE coach. I hope I'm surprised, but I just don't see this ending well.

I think the problem that most have with your analysis is that we had Dobbs, who is probably the best QB we've had since the GOAT. So yea, give Butch credit... he found Dobbs and got him to come here. At the same time, Butch's "system" didn't put up that many points against the best competition we had last year. It's pretty normal for teams to overachieve during cycles where they have top 10 QB's, but history also shows that it is unlikely that a team can maintain a string of top 10 QB's. How will UT's offense look next year if we don't have a future top 10 QB on our roster? Many people are extrapolating (myself included) that it might not be so great considering how it performed with an extremely talented lineup this past season against strong defenses. Because of that, we wanted a proven coordinator and playcaller who runs a similar system. Instead, we got a TE coach. I hope I'm surprised, but I just don't see this ending well.

That said, if you are going to have someone at OC to run your system, might as well make it a big time recruiter. This is a step up from DeBord. Playcalling is still a big question mark, but maybe he can surprise us.

giphy.gif

Office space is amazing! Now about this offense:

Does Butch just need to focus on a runner for qb?

Are the qb's on the roster remotely close to Dobbs?

Is there a chance of a full house type of package with multiple backs able to get carries on a play?

Office space is amazing! Now about this offense:

Does Butch just need to focus on a runner for qb?

Are the qb's on the roster remotely close to Dobbs?

Is there a chance of a full house type of package with multiple backs able to get carries on a play?

Guarantano is quite fast and has a strong arm.

Dormady also has a very strong arm.

We'll be fine at QB.

He's had more than one last minute flip flops that were big time recruits who came our way. So, it may get even better.

I think the #s of our offense speak for themselves. I can't imagine the thinking behind the fans who want us to throw out what is effective and change to something antique and unproven.

All JMO.

Not saying the offense was pathetic, not at all. Just curious why there seemed to be some players that seem more suited to a different offense. Again, not saying he's recruiting players that need to play at a service academy offense, just asking recruiting questions.

The flip flop thing happens everywhere. Just curious about anything that might be in the wind about the guys committed.

A few questions:

Common sense man, you bring in opposite to throw off opponents. Get a clue.

4* and 5* talent will fit ANY offense .:yes:

No this is wrong. Alabama had 3 5 star QBs on roster and a freshman who runs the spread beat rhem out because they changed to a spread. Where are the 5 star QB's transferring and another Spread QB is coming in.

No this is wrong. Alabama had 3 5 star QBs on roster and a freshman who runs the spread beat rhem out because they changed to a spread. Where are the 5 star QB's transferring and another Spread QB is coming in.

They changed to the spread because the freshmen beat the 3 5 stars not the other way around. Bama didn't run a spread until this year.

Well our offense was not the problem since it scored the most TD's out of any offense in the SEC this year.

Second Dobbs was not a great passer.

4* and 5* talent will fit ANY offense .:yes:

As long as that 4* and 5* talent are not over rated Nancys. And, lest we forget, we have had more than our fair share of those over the years under every coach we have had.

No

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back