Has Butch Closed the Gate for 2018 Recruiting?

Hell no. Look at this year. We have few of the top kids in the state for 2017. Even if Butch wants them badly, nothing assures him they will actually come here. Door is still wide open in my opinion. Butch does not own this state. Probably never will.

Reactions: 2 people
If Butch Jones is ever going to win the SEC, it will be through recruiting, not coaching, unfortunately.

Reactions: 2 people
Hell no. Look at this year. We have few of the top kids in the state for 2017. Even if Butch wants them badly, nothing assures him they will actually come here. Door is still wide open in my opinion. Butch does not own this state. Probably never will.

The ones we lost were mostly gone early for 17.
Not so for 18, with one exception.

Reactions: 1 person

Nevermind

Last edited:

Sort of like how no one owns Florida, Georgia, or any other state. This isn't unique to us, everyone has to recruit regionally and nationally to an extent.

Reactions: 9 people
Guess you can only hope! Gives you something to ***** about. Why would you want to turn a positive thread into a negative one?

Not a sunsine pumper but a realist. Have this thread reappear in 6 months and see how many UT has commits for. I'm betting less than 1/2 the top ten kids in the state.

Reality check!....very few coaches "own" their state outside of Saban and Urban M.

Sort of like how no one owns Florida, Georgia, or any other state. This isn't unique to us, everyone has to recruit regionally and nationally to an extent.

You just blew countless minds on here Mr. Connery. Maybe they will listen to you better than me.

Reality check!....very few coaches "own" their state outside of Saban and Urban M.

I agree 100%. OP started the talk. We get too many outside schools taking talent and always will. Even Fulmer didn't close the state to other schools.

Should be a good in-state class.

Will Lawrence has already eliminated us.

Jacob Warren (TE) is a legacy and we are in good standing with TE/Ath Schoenwald as well.

Litaker will be a tough battle, has offers from Bama, UF, LSU etc.

Brenden Harris (S) will probably be another tough recruiting battle, early offer from Clemson, plus offer from LSU as well

Master Teague I think we're probably in good standing there as we're his best offer, volatil might be able to tell us a little more about Teague.

Camron Johnson has offers from LSU, Auburn, & Ole Miss but we croot Brentwood pretty well (Schoenwald and Marby are the other 2 from Brentwood that we are recruiting).

Lawless has offers from everywhere- Bama, Auburn, LSU, UGA, OSU etc. However he's visited TN multiple times, been to several games, and his former teammate is Bituli. I like our chances there.

Emerson we stand a pretty good chance, he has visited twice I think. however he does have offers from big name schools like Bama, Auburn, OSU, etc so you never know this early.

Iyama (OT) we probably lead for. he's visited multiple games.

The Odin kid who looks like a pretty good WR (Tylin Odin's little brother, Justin Oden). Offers from LSU & Ole Miss.

Reactions: 4 people
Not a sunsine pumper but a realist. Have this thread reappear in 6 months and see how many UT has commits for. I'm betting less than 1/2 the top ten kids in the state.

So it's either sunshine pumper or realist, or it's realist and negavol. Most of us are neither, but we all have our own agendas. I can tell that you're pessimistic, and that is fine, to each their own. I will try to remember to revisit in 6 months.

I think what sux for us compared to those states is they have hundreds of quality recruits and we'll have 10-20. Plus Florida has multiple major programs, Georgia and Alabama each have 2. We need to get back to the point where kids from Tennessee want to play for Tennessee. A kid from Nashville shouldn't grow up being a FSU, Bama or Georgia fan.

Iyama (OT) we probably lead for. he's visited multiple games.

We don't lead for Iyama. He is a Louisville lean at the moment. He kinda has a grudge against UT since he visited twice before and left with no offer, and then when he came back with Wray he was offered. I've been trying to get in his ear

The gate is not closed nor will it ever be. Nashville is a booming city for business with a ton of relocation. So while majority are vol fans there is a heavy mix of other fan bases of people that grew up elsewhere and moved there for work. Memphis is closer to Arky and the Mississippi schools than TN. What is inexcusable is losing the guys in your backyard that grew up Vol fans.

Wells will help our midstate recruiting if he gets full spot as expected but it will never be a place you fully lock down.

It's not just Butch. Unfortunately some people are not smart enough to realize that many of these kids are transplanted here and have no loyalty to Tennessee. But keep your head in the sand

VN Store

Back