WHY - recruits

ice

Pro 2A - GOA & NRA member
Why is it that TN cannot recruit 4 and 5 star players.
In the past few years, teams that have a roster full of
4 and 5 star recruits are alway playing at the top or near
the top.
Why do the better players not want to come to TN?.

Reactions: 2 people
Relax, it's one class with a plethora of 3 stars, and it's not even finished yet. The first two classes were top 5 and last year's was the highest average star ranking believe it or not.

Reactions: 10 people
Butch did bring them in initially. Sold rebuilding the program and early PT. Now he has to sell that they are coming to a program where they can compete for championships. That is still up for debate

Reactions: 7 people
Bagman packing a little light maybe.. They recruit plenty of them. I'd say negative recruiting and of course all the "horrible fans" had a part in it this year..

Reactions: 5 people
Louisiana is loaded with talent and very little in state competition for those players. Realistically any buffoon (see Ed Orgeron) should be able to compete for and win championships. Their Achilles heel in recent past has been at the QB position.

Florida and Georgia also loaded with talent. Over the years UT has pulled a lot of 4-5* from Georgia.
Will it happen this year? Probably not.

Butch will need to hit up Fulmer for some magic fairy dust to pull off 10 wins in 2017. If he can manage to get double digit wins he'll pull in a strong 2018 class. Only time will tell

Reactions: 1 person
the top.

Isn't 5* Trey Smith, the #1 overall player on Espn, an Early enrollee at Tennessee.

Reactions: 16 people
When you follow recruiting please just dont look at the star level and assume anything. This go,s to any rated kid. Out of the top 100 players only 20% will be really good College players many will bust for various reasons. Not saying only 20% will play others will play but will not live up to the hype. Example many dont know the story with Preston Williams. 5 star talent but 0 star attitude but a kid Butch had to take a chance with trying to build a program. Alabama quit recruiting him because of his attitude and that he quit on his high school team. Now on this site everyone blames Butch but believe me he is not to blame only the kid who would not grow up and become a man.

Reactions: 5 people
Trey Smith is a great young man who is a 5 star and will dominate at the College level and be a 1st round pick. I watch tape of kids and I will tell you that Locklear and Calbert are going to be really good player in their own right. Dont look at their stars because I have seen some of the highly rated OL in All Star games and tape and I would not trade these two for many of them.

Reactions: 4 people
I doubt they are recruiting any less than they have been. Now they are not getting as many, which may be what your (OP) point was.

There has been a lot of differing opinions as to why last year and most likely this year will look different than the 14 and 15 classes (which are what you have to get more often than not to compete for championships).

Jones had 2 things working for him in those 2 classes that has not been in abundance since then.

1. Early playing time
2. Legacies

The sales pitch is different than Jones best 2 classes. It's not providing as much fruit as those 2 classes did.

Because we are starting to prove that our coaching staff cannot develop talent. See blaming injuries for a butt whippin at the hands of mighty Vanderbilt. CBJ is a good recruiter, which helps land the few we get. We would be just fine, if we begin to show the capability to develop the majority of the 3 stars. Most teams only have a few 4-5 star guys.

Relax, it's one class with a plethora of 3 stars, and it's not even finished yet. The first two classes were top 5 and last year's was the highest average star ranking believe it or not.

Butch has only had 1 top 5 class here and that was 2015

2013 was 24th
2014 was 7th
2015 was 2nd
2016 was 14th

Average of 11th

What you really should look at is the rank among SEC schools

2013 was 8th
2014 was 5th
2015 was 2nd
2016 was 7th

Average of 5th in the SEC

This is the talent we have to match up against 8 games out of the year.

Reactions: 4 people
The more I look at this class and see the final rankings and who is late to offer some of our 3 star guys, the less I worry about some of them.

Then again, the bottom third of this class holds very few P5 school offers and that is concerning. The top third and middle third is very solid. It's an interesting contrast if nothing else.

Bama has their average #1 rated class last I understood, only had a total of five 5 stars. It's not like there's all that many of them rolling around to be had and we got one in an area of need, our OL. Not sure we're doing all that poorly, lots of hand wringing going on, let's man up, and see what the actuals are before canceling the season please.

One player doesn't make the team

He cant play the other 21 positions on the field

The OP asked why TN can not recruit any 4 or 5* players.

247 composite has us with 5-4* and 1-5*. Would I like it to be better, Sure. Lets not act like we are recruiting on a bottom dweller level though.

the top.

Not as worried as much about getting them here as I am about keeping them. The attrition from that 2014 class was dismal. That snake oil bottle has an expiration date on it.

VN Store

Back