'17 IL WR Jeff Thomas

Alabama was the early favorite but both parties moved on.
Illinois leads right now because of Lovie Smith and proximity to home.
Thomas will take all his visits in January.

per Steve Wiltfong

Might be fastest WR in 17 class

Doesn't sound like he's going to qualify. Illinois leads with Louisville behind them.

Coaches must think he has a chance to bring him in late..Louisville is on a downward trend imo...and if he wants to play in the best conference we should be able to make up ground in Illinois

Coaches must think he has a chance to bring him in late..Louisville is on a downward trend imo...and if he wants to play in the best conference we should be able to make up ground in Illinois

Proximity to home seems to be big. We will see. We could use another big time WR

I think it's a good sign that he was highly considering Bama that he would leave the state...I'd take a chance on him...great guy for the slot and potential KR/PR

Yeah, this would be a great get .

I think we might have gotten in too late for this one..no room for an official visit

During check in Tuesday for the Under Armour All-American game, the East St. Louis*(Ill.) High standout said he will officially visit*Louisville*(Jan. 13) and*Illinois*(Jan. 20)*next month, and*Oregon*could get a Jan. 27 official visit.

I think we might have gotten in too late for this one..no room for an official visit

During check in Tuesday for the Under Armour All-American game, the East St. Louis*(Ill.) High standout said he will officially visit*Louisville*(Jan. 13) and*Illinois*(Jan. 20)*next month, and*Oregon*could get a Jan. 27 official visit.

Man...

Oregon?!?! Anyone else think that it is interesting that the Oregon Ex-coach was in Nashville this weekend and then we offer a WR late in recruiting that is interested in Oregon....Maybe this has to do with Helfrich?? ehhhh???

EDIT: Maybe too much of a stretch..just saw that Oregon just offered Thomas this past week as well.

With that said though, this quote was made on Tuesday, before we offered him.

Last edited:
This article says he is visiting Miami on the 20th

Thomas, a four-star prospect from East St. Louis (Ill.), remains uncommitted, but has scheduled official visits for January.
Thomas will take an official visit to Miami on Jan.20 after the Hurricanes have made a strong push in the past week including contact from wide receivers coach Ron Dugans.
“They have contacted me more and they have told me they want me and stuff,” Thomas said. “I know a little bit that I like, but I don’t know much to make me fall in love. I know they have a good wideout core and a good QB.”
Thomas is looking forward to making the trip to South Florida.
“I’m excited,” Thomas said. “I want to see their stadium and their facilities.”
He also plans to take an official visit to Louisville (Jan. 13) and “probably” Oregon (Jan. 27). He also plans on taking a visit to Illinois.
Thomas said his main factor in deciding on a school will be: “Wondering if I’m going to start my freshman year. That’s a big thing to me. I always wanted to play my freshman year in college.”
Thomas caught 50 passes for 1,101 yards and 13 touchdowns to go with 49 tackles and five interceptions on defense during his senior year at East St. Louis leading the Flyers to a state title.
He has enjoyed his time in Orlando going against top competition each day in practice for Team Armour.
“It’s been amazing just to go against the best,” he said. “I’m really enjoying it.”
Christopher Stock has covered the Miami Hurricanes since 2003 and can be reached by e-mail at stock@insidetheu.com

Kinda shocking as a highly rated 4* he is deciding between Louisville and Illinois. Losing Josh Malone bump everyone up on the depth chart. Also if Byrd makes the move back to defense too..there could be a lot more reps available for the taking. Behind Jennings it would be heated battle for targets on a SEC team and that has to be attractive to a guy who was probably slighted by Alabama.

Thomas said his main factor in deciding on a school will be: “Wondering if I’m going to start my freshman year. That’s a big thing to me. I always wanted to play my freshman year in college.”

He could start here, in the SEC, but he will have to earn it. With Malone gone, and Byrd possibly going back on defense he would be in heated competition with Josh Smith, Brandon Johnson, Marquez Calloway, and Jeff George and incoming freshman for reps and targets. A doable feat if he lives up to his ratings..

We will see how important it is to him that he wants to start. Will it be enough to have to settle starting for Louisville or Illinois or would it be better to compete for reps at a SEC team.

Reactions: 1 person
Kinda shocking as a highly rated 4* he is deciding between Louisville and Illinois. Losing Josh Malone bump everyone up on the depth chart. Also if Byrd makes the move back to defense too..there could be a lot more reps available for the taking. Behind Jennings it would be heated battle for targets on a SEC team and that has to be attractive to a guy who was probably slighted by Alabama.

Just guessing here...but I wonder if other schools held off because 1) he seemed like a Bama lock or 2) teams didn't think he would qualify...now that possibly Bama has moved on other teams are willing to take the risk that he won't qualify.

iAm_Jeff•Thomas™ ‏@Theregoes4 3m
3 minutes ago

Blessed & Honored to receive a offer from Tennessee. #GoVols

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back