Interior Linemen

tabrams

Supportin' the Cause
It seems like on our roster we are very sorely lacking in interiors linemen on both sides of the ball....

DT Vickers, Tuttle, McKenzie, Alexis Johnson, Picou

OG/ C Thomas, Robertson, Jones, Boulware, Moseley

Am I leaving anyone out??
This is an extremely thin list and I'm shocked they don't hv. More linemen....

So far we hv 2 DT and 0 guards/ centers coming in...

Last edited:
Locklear project as a G/C and we are the favorite for T.J. Moore who projects as a G, also I believe Ryan Johnson is practicing as an interior lineman.

It seems like on our roster we are very sorely lacking in interiors linemen on both sides of the ball....

One theory in recruiting is that you should never actively recruit offensive guards. Bring in more athletic offensive tackles, let them compete and slide the "losers" down inside, which should leave you with a more athletic, more talented OL across the board. I believe Coach Doug Mathews said he believes our staff is aiming towards this type of thinking with our OL recruiting.

Reactions: 3 people
One theory in recruiting is that you should never actively recruit offensive guards. Bring in more athletic offensive tackles, let them compete and slide the "losers" down inside, which should leave you with a more athletic, more talented OL across the board. I believe Coach Doug Mathews said he believes our staff is aiming towards this type of thinking with our OL recruiting.

OL recruiting has definitely taken this approach. Niehaus, Johnson, and Tatum were all OTs in high school. Until the injuries, all were expected to redshirt. Unfortunately, Tatum had to play in the absence of Hall, Wiesman, and Robertson. All are tall with frames that could handle additional weight, plus they are athletic with good speed and quickness. Given development in the weight room, they could play all along the line and be effective.

The 2017 class is following the same formula. Calbert is another big, fast physical kid that will grow into a solid OL and could play multiple positions. Both Locklear and Moore will probably become guards. Locklear can also play center.That fills important gaps in the depth chart for 2017/18.

Forgot to mention, I expect all from the 2017 class except Smith to redshirt.

Last edited:

2017 Class needs more DT depth than just Crosby and Bennett.

Absolutely a need for QB this class. If JG were to win the QB battle I could see one or both of the others transferring. Can't go into fall with only 1 or 2 scholarship QBs.

As far as Oline goes Kendrick or Hall or even Richmond could slide in to guard, I think we are looking great along the whole line in the near future.

I agree we need more HS DTs this year. 4 would be great and hopefully RS 2 or 3 of them.

VN Store

Back