Recruiting Forum: Official South Carolina Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
After a much needed bye-week, Tennessee rolls into Columbia, South Carolina for a night game against the Gamecocks. The Vols look to have several starters returning to the line-up as the enter the easier part of the schedule. How are the going to fare against USC?

Keys to Victory:

1. How big a boy are ya? Well... Tennessee is clearly wearing big boy pants. Having played ranked opponents 5 out of the last 6 weeks (VT isn't ranked, but they should be this week), the Vols have measured themselves against some tough opponents, winning most, crapping away the A&M game, and Bama did what Bama does, against our beat up squad.

South Carolina? Well... they've played one ranked opponent (A&M), and two teams over .500 (KY & UGA). They lost each of those games, and also to a terrible Miss State team. 1-7 UMASS gave them all they wanted this weekend.

USC's 3 wins have come with a total of 14 points against teams with a 7-16 total record.

So any statistical analysis needs to keep in mind the fact that Tennessee has played the harder schedule... by FAR.

2. 2016 Reboot: Butch Jones is a master of motivation. I suspect that he is treating this bye-week as the beginning of a new season entirely. Given his mantra of "snap and clear", the bye-week made for a perfect opportunity to forget everything, for better or worse, that has happened, and to focus on the final 5 regular season games.

I'm not sure how many starters we will get back, but look for the team to be energized, and ready to finish strong. The 2016 season begins again on Saturday.

3. Shoop Shine:
Let's be honest... we expected a little bit more from this Bob Shoop led defense. True, they have been gutted by injuries, but aside from that, they have not really been consistently dominant. I look for the Tennessee defense to soar in the defensive rankings as we finish out the season. USC ranks 126/128 in total offense. Vandy ranks 128/128. It's time to lock down, and chow down on the dregs, after going through the first half gauntlet.

On paper, USC's defense looks better than the Vols, but paper lies. Tennessee has played 5 teams in the top 56 total offense. USC has played 2. Those two teams torched them for 512(ECU) and 422(A&M) yard respectively.

4. Freshmeat for Barnett: As Derek Barnett continues to solidify his place as a legendary Vol, USC has conveniently decided to serve up a young, true freshman quarterback as tribute. USC gives up an average of 2.67 sacks per game... with that schedule. Look for Barnett to add to his total, and for other Vols to get in on the action. Shoop is going to dial up the pressure, and force this kid into mistakes, and it's going to be glorious.

5. Put the Chump in Muschump: Let's be clear about this. Muschamp hates Tennessee, and we should do well to return the favor. Let's take a little look at his heritage.

Grew up in Gainesville
Played at UGA
Coached under Saban
Spurned Tennessee... and recommended Dooley to Hamilton!!!
Coached at Florida... and won every single game against the Vols.
Classless comment about silencing Neyland after winning his final UF/TN game.

We've got 3 in a row against USC. We have 2 in a row against UGA. We just beat Florida. Now, it's Will's time to be the chump.

6. Dobbs Special: Since his freshman year, Dobbs has had USC's number. He always has something special for the Gamecocks, and they don't have nearly the athletes to deal with him. Look for somethings special from Dobbs this week.

Prediction: Williams-Bryce Stadium at night can be a hostile environment. The Vols will need to come in hot, and leave no doubt as to what the outcome of this game is going to be. They need to have a killer instinct, and not let this team stick around.

I think this team takes a collective exhale this week, and plays looser, and a lot better football than we have seen. The Vols roll, relatively easy.

TN 37
USC 10

Reactions: 20 people
I recently attended my first home SC game. East Carolina was the opponent, if I remember correctly. Having grown up a UT fan I was curious about the game atmosphere at Williams Brice Stadium.

The only thing intimidating there is, well, um, nothing really.

It's not a huge venue and besides playing Sandstorm with the white towels flailing around and the annoying Gamecock crowing there really isn't all that to see - especially with the lack of talent SC has on the field.

Given our injuries, this could be a contest but I'm going on record here predicting a tension-released, curb stomping put on the Cocks.

42 - 10 Go Vols

I still think this will be tough game. We've managed to let lesser teams hang with us all year. As Nick pointed out, Muschamp hates TN with the fire of 1000 suns. He's still one of the better defensive minds and will have some special stuff just for us. I think the outcome of this game won't be decided until the 4th quarter.

Reactions: 1 person
I predict we will go down early by around 14 points. In the 2nd half we will make a blistering comeback and win big

I predict we will go down early by around 14 points. In the 2nd half we will make a blistering comeback and win big

Where in the world would you get the idea that this team could be down by double digits only to storm back to win big? I have never seen such a thing.....:)

Hope its the first game where we dominate from start to finish. I'll be there and probably be the only orange shirt among a bunch of garnet ones, got tickets on the lower level of the home teams side for the gf.

Reactions: 2 people
Talent differential rarely seems to matter in this series. Add to that Muschamp's defensive coaching ability, Tennessee's propensity to play down to their competition, and all the injuries and I expect this to be another nailbiter. I'll obviously be disappointed, but not particularly shocked, if we drop this one. Something just feels off in this game.

I'm going back and forth on whether to expect a blowout or a close game. On the one hand, the bye week helps us get healthier, and, yeah, SC really does suck.

One other hand, while we're way past due for a complete game, I think we continue to struggle with some inconsistencies. It's happened in every game this year, so I'm gonna have to see us put it all together for 4 quarters before I believe it. This series has also been tough to predict. Last year they played us closer than they should have and came very close to pulling the upset. Two years in a row before that we pulled off improbable wins when they probably had the better overall team.

The thing I keep coming back to though is that SC sucks. I mean they really suck.

UT - 37
Fighting Chickens: 13

don't remember exactly, but haven't the last three games been decided by about three points...:dunno:..one game at a time...believe we'll win, but take nothing for granted...:salute:

GO VOLS...BEAT COCKS SOON!

cocks will be beaten all day starting at catbones mommas basement when georgia beats florida, and ending up in willy b stadium with the vols controlling the east for the rest of the season.

38-13

10 points first half (wild expectations) & 35 points second half =

UT 45
USCe 14

After a week off and some guys getting healthier it could be a boat race when added to the game chickens' struggle with mighty UMass. We will see.

OTR at night in a very hostile environment. CBJ will be ultra conservative and gameplan to reduce TOs and avoid injuries; Chump will be ultra aggressive and gameplan to get a signature win. SCAR considers UT one of their top two rivals and their players and fans absolutely hate us. UT doesn't consider SCAR a rival at all; we think of them as an auto win. It'll be a cockfight, IMO.

Butch won't let muschamp off so easy after what he did to us at UF. 59-17 Big Orange

I've never seen Butch have the balls to do something like this. Nothing against you, but I will believe Butch has the balls to do something like this when I see it. UT 28 Cocks 10.

Reactions: 3 people
Did you watch SC run the clock out yesterday. Got the ball with a 6 point lead and a little under 4 to go. They threw the ball and got a couple first downs, burned some clock and only then did they run the ball when the clock was down enough to make Mass. use their time outs. Then it was victory formation. If we get the ball in the same situation we run the ball 3 times into the line.

Coaching still refuses to let Dobbs run making it another close game - Vols 28 - 23

I am sorry that whoever kicked your puppy didn't apologize. However, I think you are incorrect. Vols win and win convincingly. I hope your negativity will be assuaged with a strong finish to the season.

Vols 45
USc 13

Did you watch SC run the clock out yesterday. Got the ball with a 6 point lead and a little under 4 to go. They threw the ball and got a couple first downs, burned some clock and only then did they run the ball when the clock was down enough to make Mass. use their time outs. Then it was victory formation. If we get the ball in the same situation we run the ball 3 times into the line.

Butch and DeBord absolutely love calling three straight run plays and punting back to the opponent with the game on the line.

VN Store

Back