Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesius

Injuries:
1. JRM - shoulder, out for the year
2. Kirkland -- ankle, should be back hopefully in two weeks
3. Sutton - broken ankle, out 8 weeks or so. That would be second week of November. He hopes to get back to play this season. We will see if he can.
4. Weisman - concussion, should be back after the bye
5. McDowell - concussion, should be back after the bye
6. Foreman -- shoulder, should be back after the bye
8. Kendrick - ankle, should be back after the bye
9. Robertson - ankle, should be back after the bye
10. Chance Hall - leg, not sure if knee or ankle, not sure the extent
11. McKenzie -- shoulder, didn't return yesterday could miss extended time, we will see what further testing shows.
12. Vickers - ankle, should be back after the bye
13. Buchanan - shoulder, two be evaluated.
14. Evan Berry - limped off in second half, not sure the injury
15. Abernathy - hamstring, should be better in two weeks.
16. O'Brien - dimissed wont be back
17. Preston Williams - quit, wont be back

Injury report from Hubbs this morning.

This is the greatest bye week in the history of bye weeks.

Reactions: 4 people
We've still got some work to do, depth wise. If we ever get to a point where our second or third strings are 4 and 5 stars it'll be next man up. Until then, we'll be hindered against talented teams like our last two opponents.

However, our current talent and depth is enough to compete for the East.

If this class winds up in the Top 5, like some have suggested as possibly happening, it will round up 4.5 very talented classes for Butch. As good as this season could STILL be, next year could be as good if not better.

And if Kamara decides to come back...next season we should be BETTER.
Top 5?

We've still got some work to do, depth wise. If we ever get to a point where our second or third strings are 4 and 5 stars it'll be next man up. Until then, we'll be hindered against talented teams like our last two opponents.

However, our current talent and depth is enough to compete for the East.

If this class winds up in the Top 5, like some have suggested as possibly happening, it will round up 4.5 very talented classes for Butch. As good as this season could STILL be, next year could be as good if not better.

And if Kamara decides to come back...next season we should be BETTER.

So perhaps when CBJ said it would take six to seven years to build up the program to the top of college football, this is what he was making reference too. To have what you are saying, I do believe it would take this long.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
We would need to trim some serious fat and land Smith, Wade, Gibbs, and Moore--plus a few late surprises--to even sniff top 5.

Butch seems to have made it a habit of taking some commitments that are...suspect...early in the recruiting process.

I really don't care what the numbers look like before September. I wouldn't mind him being a little more picky with the commitments before then, especially given his ability to close out classes.

Reactions: 1 person
So perhaps when CBJ said it would take six to seven years to build up the program to the top of college football, this is what he was making reference too. Too have what you are saying, I do believe it would take this long.

I don't get too caught up in coach speak or coaches tempering expectations like a lot of fans do.

That didn't bother me.

Top 10 seems possible and that is with a strong finish.

Would love close to a 10 finish. I guess we would need to trim off some 3* to make room, interesting another 3* committed... Has anyone given names of possible high profile kids looking at us besides Gibbs and Trey Smith? Akers was at the game yesterday, hopefully he didn't walk away too disappointed and realized the injury situation... I know we have Ty, but we need more than one top tier back. Any LB and/or other OL looking at us?

I thought Elliot Berry played decent. He had a couple of TFLs. He bit inside on both of Hurts long runs, but was actually moved into a misalignment by Jumper on the first one. He had 6 solo tackles (9 total) and 2 TFL.

Agreed...earned his scholarship.

I copied and pasted this post from someone over in the FF forum and it makes a lot of sense and no one is talking about it.... sure we have a ridiculous amount of injures, but we also have a ton of higher tier players that have come in and are NOT being developed- who is to blame here? So you can make a case that we really have more depth that perceived, but it is standing on the sidelines or going in only on ST....-----

I posted this in another thread, but I think it applies.

I'd like to know why the depth hasn't developed better.

take a look at this.
injuries happen when players are fatiqued, use bad form, and are out of position. But why aren't more of these 3rd and 4th year players ready to contribute?
Gavin Bryant, Dillon Bates are in their 3rd year in the program and even with injuries aren't playing and thus aren't ready.
Austin Smith is the prototypical LB for the SEC and is moved to end and being redshirted after playing last year. Even Bynum, who has a lot of experience and a few starts is not playing. Thig told us that Jacob Johnson was the top rated LB on their board and is now 4th string TE and likely to never see field. And that doesn't even include Bituli who is losing a year of eligibility playing special teams.

Butch burns Tatum's redshirt while 4th year, 4 star lineman Austin Sanders plays field goal unit. Mosley, the biggest lineman on the team, can't find the field.

When is the last time Stephen Griffin played any meaningful minutes?

Kelly earned some touches and what did he get, 1 carry?

What about Osborne? Buchanan has also disappeared.

Depth has not been developed.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back