2017 - Likely the Best In-State Talent Ever for Tennessee

Rifleman

I used the Rivals points calculation system to rank the Tennessee talent levels 2011 - 2017.

My methods:

I summed up the points for top 50 recruits each year and averaged the annual scores. I am not including the bonus points applied for Top 250, 150, 100, as these have changed a little over the years and would throw things off for comparison.

(Rivals Rating = Points)

6.1 = 150 points
6.0 = 135 points
5.9 = 120 points
5.8 = 105 points
5.7 = 90 points
5.6 = 75 points
5.5 = 60 points
5.4 = 45 points
5.3 = 30 points
5.2 = 15 points

So how many points would the top 50 Tennessee high school recruits have netted each year over that period:

Year - Points

1) 2017 - 3855

2) 2016 - 3405
3) 2015 - 3690
4) 2014 - 3375
5) 2013 - 2790
6) 2012 - 3360
7) 2011 - 2895

It should be noted that 2017 will be re-evaluated by Rivals before NSD, but that is only likely to increase the overall rating for this group. So in this decade alone we are talking about a 1,000 point gain in this metric!

This is not a trend that show signs of plateauing or reversing.

Long story short, the cream of Tennessee high school football is now very competitive with most other states outside the big three of Texas, California, and Florida.

How fast has this change happened? If Phil Fulmer had this kind of in-state talent to play with, he'd probably have retired on his own terms. In 2005, the talent pool Fulmer had to choose from in-state would only have netted 1725 points in this metric! 2004 would score as a pitiful 1380, with frankly no more than a dozen serviceable D1 prospects. If that year had been a 3500, we might have won it all in 2007 instead crumbling against LSU in Atlanta.

Butch Jones now has the luxury of talent in-state almost 3 times as strong as 2004. With this staff's ability to go into Georgia and raid across the border, and recruit nationally, we are building a program that can contend year in and year out and get get off the old roller coaster of rebuild and bust so many teams are stuck on.

:hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
This thread should bring out some whiners who've not had much to groan about for the past 4 days.

Fulmer had to recruit so hard outside of Tennessee that there were several instances where a great recruit right on his doorstep would get missed.

Now our top 2018 recruit plays at Catholic.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/4986

And out top 3 from a top-rated 2017 class are all around and west of Nashville. That is pretty awesome stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
In before Tony comes in to reprimand you for using Rivals instead of the 247 composite.

Edit:....and then goes to start a thread on a potential 2025 recruit.

Reactions: 4 people
Demographic changes inside the state are definitely looking good for Tennessee for years to come. Maybe we can recruit even more in-state talent in the future.

Fulmer had to recruit so hard outside of Tennessee that there were several instances where a great recruit right on his doorstep would get missed.

And out top 3 from a top-rated 2017 class are all around and west of Nashville. That's is pretty awesome stuff!

It's awesome that the state is producing the talent like it never has in the past.

That's not what I was referring to when I said it would bring out groaners.

In before Tony comes in to reprimand you for using Rivals instead of the 247 composite.

Edit:....and then goes to start a thread on a potential 2025 recruit.

How did I get thrown in this fire? Next time I will be "In before" you get the chance to bring my name into the discussion Mr. BaldBiker. :p:)

BTW, D4H posted something similiar before he vanished from the forums. His analysis was that 2018 & 2019 were to be the best years for talent in-state & not 2017 so which year(s) is it?

Last edited:

And out top 3 from a top-rated 2017 class are all around and west of Nashville. That's is pretty awesome stuff!

I've mentioned this before about west of Nashville. Getting kids "over here" to be orange through and through will always be something like recruiting out of state. Those who doubt me need to look at the distance from ,,, say the Tennessee River west to places like Oxford, Starkville, Tuss. Ala,Vandy and others.

How did I get thrown in this fire? Next time I will be "In before" you get the chance to bring my name into the discussion Mr. BaldBiker. :p:)

BTW, D4H posted something similiar before he vanished from the forums. His analysis was that 2018 & 2019 were to be the best years for talent in-state & not 2017 so which year(s) is it?

Whichever one we get all the commits in Tony

Whichever one we get all the commits in Tony

Gotcha. I hope we can reel in most of the in-state top recruits for 2018 & 2019. It's time for that start happening instead of some of them going to Bama, Ole Miss, Vandy, & other schools. We need to try & keep at least 2/3 of these top recruits here to play for UT.

We really could use Trey Smith. From what I have seen on film, he plays with a mean streak and might have the biggest hands of any linemen.

Good Thing we have no state income tax.. Hall tax sucks

It sucks, and is being phased out over the next few years. However, several areas like Signal Mountain, Cleveland, and Franklin will institute large property tax increases to offset their revenue losses. Under Hall Tax, what you pay goes right back to your area you live in - so suddenly "wealthier" communities will face a huge revenue shortfall.

It sucks, and is being phased out over the next few years. However, several areas like Signal Mountain, Cleveland, and Franklin will institute large property tax increases to offset their revenue losses. Under Hall Tax, what you pay goes right back to your area you live in - so suddenly "wealthier" communities will face a huge revenue shortfall.

It represents 2% of the total revenue.. Surely they can cut 2% out of the budget.. Don't call me be Shirley

I think it is great and it probably would have helped Fulmer. However, recruiting wasn't Fulmer's weakness. He usually had top classes when you look back. We were getting top recruits and mainly the ones he wanted. Some of his evaluations were off and that hurt us. He also neglected certain positions like O-line. Ultimately post Cutcliffe, Fulmer made some poor hires on offense. Guy did a lot for Tennessee but lack of talent wasn't he downfall.

I think it is great and it probably would have helped Fulmer. However, recruiting wasn't Fulmer's weakness. He usually had top classes when you look back. We were getting top recruits and mainly the ones he wanted. Some of his evaluations were off and that hurt us. He also neglected certain positions like O-line. Ultimately post Cutcliffe, Fulmer made some poor hires on offense. Guy did a lot for Tennessee but lack of talent wasn't he downfall.

Huge difference in your level of commitment when you're playing for the state team you grew up rooting for.

There are so many guys on this current squad that really bleed orange - either because they grew up down the road or their family played here - it isn't just another path to the NFL for these kids. That changes everything in the accountability of the whole team.

Fulmer had talent, but he had more talented teams that underachieved their potential than I have ever seen with any coach. Part of that is the in-state thing.

Was Arian Foster as committed to this program as Jalen Hurd is? Did the losses and big fumbles hurt Foster just as deeply as they wounded the fanbase? Great apathetic talent loses to great motivated talent every time.

Last edited:
Don't sleep on the 2018 class. We're looking a lot better for 2018 right now with alontae Taylor and Cade Mays recruiting for us, and it helps they're both probably 4 stars or better on most recruiting sites. 2018 will be a good year for the state of Tennessee too

VN Store

Back