Recruiting Forum: Official Florida Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
The date with the big circle around it. Florida week. The Vols have not won this freaking game since 2004. We've been close... agonizingly close, but that accounts for 0 at the end of the day.

I'll be honest... for at least the last two seasons, I have lined this up to be a Tennessee victory. I don't feel too bad about that, because the Vols had the win in their grasps, and let it slip right through their fingers. Pre-season, I had this as a sure-fire win. After the game today, I considered it a likely loss, however a key injury to Florida may have swung it back into the Vols favor. Let's have a look.

Keys to Victory / Need to Know:

1. It's all in your head: Let's get this straight... Florida is in the head of the Tennessee players and fan base. Butch simply called it "the next game on the schedule" yesterday, but we all know it is much more than that. The coaches and players seemed to tighten up in the first games of last season, letting leads get away. This season, they seem disengaged from the game, especially on offense. They need to get out of their own heads and play to their full potential.

2. Full throttle:
Through 3, mostly painful weeks, the Tennessee offense has survived on bare bones play calling. I've called it sandbagging for the entire time, and pray that it's the truth. There are a lot of creative, fun elements in the Tennessee offense, and we've seen absolutely none of it this season. I hate the approach. You think no one has access to previous seasons film? Give me a break. It's time to play football, and open up the playbook.

The fear is this. Butch is conservative to a fault. With key injuries on defense, he is more likely to tighten up on offense to eliminate mistakes and turnovers. Truth be told though, the Florida game has recently, and probably again, come down to turnovers at the worst possible times.

3. Avoid turnovers at the worst possible times: Mistake free football. Dobbs will be asked to make plays with his feet, not his arm. This game will likely be a battle of field position, and the Vols can't afford to leave it on the 20 yard line for the Gators to capitalize.

4. Injury impacts: Whose injury situation hurts worse? The Vols probably won't even be able to field a linebacker, the secondary is hurting with Cam likely out for an extended period of time, but Florida has the one that you never want to lose... the QB. Luke Del Rio went down with a knee injury against North Texas, and is likely out for this game.

Austin Appleby, transfer from Purdue steps into the Gator lineup. This is what you can expect from this cat. He is about as average as it gets. As a redshirt freshman, lost out a fall camp battle. A month into last season, he lost his starting job. Of course at Florida, he lost a fall camp battle to Del Rio, so we're not talking about Peyton here.

For his career, he has 19 TD's and 19 INT's. Completion % is Dobbs-like, at 55%, but about 10 yards per completion so he can go down the field a bit. Our hero has not face a TN caliber defense either, so their may be some balls to be found by the secondary. He is a big target, at 6'4" 240, and can run a bit, but he is not a prototypical dual-threat. If the DL can get pressure on him, sacks and interceptions could turn this game around in the Vols favor.

5. Cupcake central: Florida has not been tested... not even close, this season. Their first 3 opponents (UMASS, KY, North Texas) are among the worst in college football. CBS ranks them 123, 95, 127 out of 128 teams. TN has played 44, 55, 88.

The fact is, there defense is likely as good as advertised, but I suspect their offense is benefiting from that cupcake boost. Tennessee would have the same type of effect, if we actually attempted to score against App and Ohio, but I digress.

6. Establish the ground game: This scares me. Florida has a strong front 7, and our offensive line is more like offensive lyin'. More often than not, the team that rushes for the most yards wins this game. Hurd will be grinding away between the tackles for 3 ypc, Kamara will probably only get 4 carries, so a lot falls on Dobbs to carry the run game. Whether scrambling for his life, which you can count on, or a designed run, he needs to will this team to victory.

For Florida, the run game goes through Jordan Scarlett and Lamical Perine, though they have relied heavily on the injured Del Rio's passing till now. Depending on how much McElwain trusts Appleby, Florida may really press their running game hard, and the TN DL, and whatever humans we can find to put at LB need to be ready to keep them from getting through to the 3rd level. Tennessee has been gouged for 152 yards per game rushing, finally stiffening up this week against Ohio.

Prediction: I'm having a really hard time with this one. On one hand, I want to believe that the coaches and team will be lights out ready for the biggest game of the season, and previous performances reflect that they have indeed been looking ahead. On the other hand, the team has mostly performed as though the lights haven't even come on for most of the season.

ESPN's FPI has TN with a whopping 75.9% chance of winning this game. The talent is there. The game is in Neyland. The only question is, "Have we seen the real Tennessee this season?" If we have, then this is a loss. If they are the team we thought they were, all off-season, then they will win comfortably, get the monkey off their backs, and set the mood for the rest of the season. I'm not sure what the truth is... but I'm choosing to believe in hope this week.

TN 14
FL 13

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
I'd feel a lot better about this game if we didn't have a history of making heroes out of opponent back up QB's. Only reason I give us a chance is if we bring our 12th man environment like OK game last year...yes, I know we lost, but FL isn't OK, and after reading the ex-OK players article this week...should make it tough on a QB with his first SEC start.

I'd feel a lot better about this game if we didn't have a history of making heroes out of opponent back up QB's. Only reason I give us a chance is if we bring our 12th man environment like OK game last year...yes, I know we lost, but FL isn't OK, and after reading the ex-OK players article this week...should make it tough on a QB with his first SEC start.

Neyland is going to be savage. 14 years in the making. It's a shame they couldn't have thrashed Ohio to build the hype with the fans even more. I think everyone is nervous going in, but getting the lead early would do wonders.

Appleby is going to be interesting to watch. He hasn't done much, and I can't wait to see how Shoop approaches this.

Reactions: 1 person
“There’s no experience like game experience. I’ve played in the big stadiums before. It’s not going to be new to me,” Appleby said.

That's what they all say, before coming to Neyland. Just ask Oklahoma.

Reactions: 5 people
If App state and Ohio's DL's manhandled UT's O line, I don't want to even imagine what the Florida DL will do to one of the most pathetic O Lines I've ever seen at UT. That is where the outcome of the game will be decided, UF's DL vs. UT OL : Advantage UF

Gators 24
Vols 10

Butch should bring Inky, VFL34, and some other VFLs to come in and give some pregame motivation. Get these guys fired up to play. Inky would have them ready to tear some heads off.

That's what they all say, before coming to Neyland. Just ask Oklahoma.

Can someone get the local news to blast that out on TV? It did wonders when OU made the same statement and the news reported it and put fans on blast to make OU regret that statement.

I am surprisingly confident, which may lend itself to a meltdown of epic proportions of this goes the other way.

But I see our OL doing good enough to allow Jalen and Alvin to keep the gator D honest and we run, run, run Dobbs mixing in some creative passes off the run looks.

We score around 17ish offensive points but must PROTECT THE FOOTBALL.

On D, even with Cam out I think we have a feast session as long as JRM plays. Our DL would have rattled Del Rio it definitely will AA. I am seeing 4 Gator turnovers one of which will be returned for a TD.

24-20 Vols

I have to believe. Otherwise, the prospect is just too depressing. Someone will step up. Someone we were not expecting.

Vols 24

UF 19

Butch should bring Inky, VFL34, and some other VFLs to come in and give some pregame motivation. Get these guys fired up to play. Inky would have them ready to tear some heads off.

It's Florida...if we need pre-game motivation for this one, then go ahead and chalk it up as a loss. No one should have to say a word to these guys.

Reactions: 3 people
OL show a pulse! Shoop be Shoop. Butch, please turn your offense loose, especially Dobbs with the rushing attack. Run a lot of plays with the split back look of Hurd and Kamara. Bring the slot in motion (Byrd especially), and use him as another option to hand the football with the zone read. Play loose, aggressive, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, PLAY TO WIN!!

Prediction: JUST WIN

LET US GO!!!

If App state and Ohio's DL's manhandled UT's O line, I don't want to even imagine what the Florida DL will do to one of the most pathetic O Lines I've ever seen at UT. That is where the outcome of the game will be decided, UF's DL vs. UT OL : Advantage UF

Gators 24
Vols 10

Top concern, for sure

True but I'd be pulling out all the stops. We've been fired up for this game for the last 11 years.

That's the thing is I wouldn't want to go too much outside the norm. These guys know exactly what this game means. There's no reason to do anything to add any extra pressure.

That's the thing is I wouldn't want to go too much outside the norm. These guys know exactly what this game means. There's no reason to do anything to add any extra pressure.

I wasn't thinking extra pressure. I was thinking one of those Inky speeches that make you want to go run through a brick wall. Lol

I just can't bring myself to predict a loss but it is going to be ugly.

UT 17
UF 10

Gators 24
Vols 10

Ohio's DL didn't manhandle us. We ran for 200 yards. Sure, Dobbs was sacked a couple of times, but he also could have stepped up in one. Florida will certainly be better, but play calling and execution hindered more scoring against Ohio.

Good job as always, Nick. Thank you.

I think the scoring will resemble Ohio's game. Ohio scored 5 times, but only one was a touchdown. It would have been a great blackjack hand.

Vols 24 (yes, Volatil, a short field goal early in the game)
Gators: 16

VN Store

Back