'18 GA DE John Mincey (Tennessee signee)

1601769.jpg

John Mincey

3* player, 6'5" 210 lbs., DE(weak-side) .8333 composite score, Clinch County High School, Homerville, GA
40-yd dash- 4.75
Bench Press 335
29 reps- 185
Vertical- 33"
Class of 2018

247 Sports

Hudl

Scout

Rivals

UT & Georgia are on only two schools to show interest in this recruit to date with neither one making official scholarship offers to date. #29th weak-side DE & #713th ranked recruit overall in the 2018 class.

I am hearing...

John Mincey, a SDE out of Georgia who decommitted from Arkansas earlier today is going to release a new top group of schools soon.

Tennessee is a school he likes a lot I am told. He visited Knoxville during the season for an unofficial visit and he likes the new staff I am told.

Just a name to keep an eye on moving forward.

-Chad Simmons

Rivals.com

Reactions: 2 people
UT was his first offer, FWIW. Listed at 255-265 depending on source, definitely looks at least that:

5a2235f1d8963.image.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Clinch is a really good football school in the lower classes. They were Class A champs this year.

OV to UT this weekend...

The Vols will also host 3-star defensive lineman John Mincey, a former Arkansas commit with interest from Tennessee, South Carolina and Florida State. Tennessee's staff visited with the South Georgia defensive lineman last Friday.

-VQ

Reactions: 5 people
OV to UT this weekend...

“I got offered by Tennessee the summer of my junior year, so I kind of have a favorite in Tennessee,” said Mincey, “South Carolina, before I committed, they were in touch a little bit. And Florida State, they’ve been the same.” Former Tennessee coach Butch Jones’ staff hosted Mincey for a camp “going into my junior year,” MIncey said, and he received a scholarship offer from the Vols in March 2016. He said he’s looking forward to taking another look at Tennessee this weekend. “I’ve been up there for a camp or whatever. When I went, I liked what I saw and all that,” Mincey said. “I really don’t know much about it. … I saw the practice facilities and the game field and all that (last time). I didn’t really see, like, everything.”

“They told me they need me and told me where my fit would be in the defense and all that,” Mincey said. “They said I’d be kind of a hybrid. I’ll play on the outside some, and on pass-rush downs I can move to the inside and rush the quarterback and stuff like that.”

Vols defensive line coach Tracy Rocker and defensive coordinator Kevin Sherrer, who previously recruited him at Georgia, met with Mincey and discussed what he can expect during this weekend’s visit. “They just said I’m going to have a real good time,” Mincey said. “I’m going to like everything I see. I’m going to like the facilities and (head) coach (Jeremy) Pruitt, and it’s going to be a good time.” Mincey said “kind of the whole staff” at Tennessee has been in contact with him, including Sherrer, Rocker, co-defensive coordinator Chris Rumph and Charles Kelly, the Vols’ safeties coach and special teams coordinator, along with defensive graduate assistant Nathan Ollie.

He said he’s interested in Tennessee for multiple reasons, including his familiarity with multiple coaches on the Vols’ staff and their tradition. “They used to be, like, the team to beat back then,” Mincey said. “They said they beat Alabama, like, nine years in a row before Nick Saban got there, so I feel like I can help them get back to where they were.”

Reactions: 18 people
I think Tennessee envisions him getting a bit bigger and ultimately being a defensive lineman — most likely a 3-4 defensive end who perhaps could slide inside to defensive tackle on passing downs when the Vols might be in nickel packages with four-man fronts. He currently weighs around 255, but he apparently played closer to 270 during football season, so it's not a stretch at all to envision him being a 280-pound defensive end in time.

I don't know exactly where the Vols would rank him if they were ranking every player in the nation — they probably couldn't tell you, either — but, yeah, I think Tennessee values him more than that 247Sports Composite ranking might suggest. He looks like one of the Vols' best remaining options at DE.

-Callahan

Reactions: 1 person
[twitter]https://twitter.com/danharralson/status/954900148664061952[/twitter]

[twitter]https://twitter.com/JdcMincey/status/954897937573826560[/twitter]

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back