'18 OH DE Malik Vann

4_4580711.jpg

Malik Vann

4* player, 6'1.5" 249lbs., DE(strong-side), .8962 composite score, junior in high school
Fairfield High School, Fairfield, OH
40-yd dash- 5.30
Class of 2018

247 Sports

Hudl

Scout

Rivals

UT has offered. #9th strong-side DE & #283rd ranked recruit overall in the 2018 class.

"Top247 junior defensive end Malik Vann of Fairfield (Ohio) High School posted on his Twitter account Sunday that he's planning to attend the "Battle at Bristol" between Tennessee and Virginia Tech on Saturday at Bristol Motor Speedway.

"I'll be at Tennessee vs Virginia Tech next week! #VolNation," he tweeted.

The 6-foot-1.5, 249-pound Vann has received scholarship offers from more than 15 schools, including Tennessee, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville, Oregon, West Virginia and Wisconsin."

Reactions: 4 people
"Top247 junior defensive end Malik Vann of Fairfield (Ohio) High School posted on his Twitter account Sunday that he's planning to attend the "Battle at Bristol" between Tennessee and Virginia Tech on Saturday at Bristol Motor Speedway.

"I'll be at Tennessee vs Virginia Tech next week! #VolNation," he tweeted.

The 6-foot-1.5, 249-pound Vann has received scholarship offers from more than 15 schools, including Tennessee, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville, Oregon, West Virginia and Wisconsin."

FWIW, doesn't have an Ohio state offer.

Vann was in Bristol...

"That was the most crazy atmosphere I've ever seen. It was the best college gameday atmosphere I've ever seen, also. I can't wait to see a game in Knoxville."

-VQ

Reactions: 5 people
“i thought it was absolutely amazing. Nothing i’ve seen can compare to that type of atmosphere of 155,000-plus,” said vann, who’s ranked the nation’s no. 277 overall prospect and no. 9 strongside defensive end in the 247sports composite for the 2018 class. “i liked just being amongst the ut fans and them just talking sports and just talking to me like i was apart of their family.”

he went to tennessee’s campus for the first time sunday after attending saturday’s game at bristol motor speedway in bristol, tenn., and he said it turned out to be “probably the most beautiful campus i’ve been on.”

“it was my first time, and (i liked) the facilities. Fell in love with the weight room and their indoor facility,” vann said. “i like the program and the staff. This will most likely be a contender going further in the process.”

Reactions: 2 people
Following up on what Lynx & Ron posted Malik Vann has now placed us in his top 8 schools lists. His favorites right now though are Notre Dame, Michigan State, & Ohio State in which all 3 are not far apart. The other five schools including UT have some work to do it appears.

Following up on what Lynx & Ron posted Malik Vann has now placed us in his top 8 schools lists. His favorites right now though are Notre Dame, Michigan State, & Ohio State in which all 3 are not far apart. The other five schools including UT have some work to do it appears.

FWIW, no osu offer. Maybe at some point, but not sure.

FWIW, no osu offer. Maybe at some point, but not sure.

No, he does not have an offer from OSU yet. Are you talking about Ohio State & not Oklahoma State? He's listed as "warm" from 247 Sports for Ohio State & not even received an offer so something behind the scenes is going on. :wink:

Last edited:
No, he does not have an offer from OSU yet. Are you talking about Ohio State & not Oklahoma State? He's listed as "warm" from 247 Sports for Ohio State & not even received an offer so something behind the scenes is going on. :wink:

Yes, Ohio state. He's from Ohio, that's pretty much why it's listed as "warm" for osu lol.

The four-star junior defensive end from Fairfield (Ohio) High School traveled to Tennessee twice within a span of two weeks, attending two of the Vols’ games, and he said they’re one of a handful of teams recruiting him hardest, along with Notre Dame, Michigan State, Cincinnati and Kentucky.

Vann said after participating in Saturday’s Under Armour Future 50 underclassman combine that he’s planning to make the trip to Tennessee again this spring, perhaps in April to attend one of the Vols’ junior days.

“The first time, after Battle at Bristol, I came and visited on Sunday. And then I went down for the Florida game, and that game was amazing,” said Vann, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 289 overall prospect and No. 12 strongside defensive end in the 2018 class. “When I got to the stadium and I saw how big it is and I saw the checkerboard (pattern in the stands), that was great. That was a great experience.”

“Coach Strip, me and him talk every week,” Vann said. “Me and him are building a closer relationship, and me and Coach Jones are starting to build a closer relationship. We just talk. It’s mostly not even football-related. That’s how good that relationship is getting, so I hope I can continue to develop it as my recruitment goes on.”

While it’s still relatively early in the recruiting process for Vann, he said he’s hoping to decide on a college before his senior season. And he already has made plans to announce his choice on June 26.

- 247 (Callahan)

Reactions: 3 people
- 247 (Callahan)

I think keeping Strip around in some capacity will be vital to DL recruiting going forward. He has built some good relationships and keeping him around can only help.

Reactions: 1 person
4_4580711.jpg

Malik Vann

4* player, 6'1.5" 249lbs., DE(strong-side), .8962 composite score, junior in high school
Fairfield High School, Fairfield, OH
40-yd dash- 5.30
Class of 2018

247 Sports

Hudl

Scout

Rivals

UT has offered. #9th strong-side DE & #283rd ranked recruit overall in the 2018 class.

5.3 in the 40? That has to be a mistake. Andre Smith ran a 5.28.

I think keeping Strip around in some capacity will be vital to DL recruiting going forward. He has built some good relationships and keeping him around can only help.

Strip is probably one of the more underrated recruiters on our staff, at least no one really talks about him like they do gillespie and azz. His players really love him too.

"I'm starting to cut things down, but there's no real official list right now," Vann stated. "Some of the schools I'm looking closely at are LSU, Kentucky, Tennessee and Wisconsin."
scout

Reactions: 3 people
Nice to see him visit. I know at one time the family was very disappointed that Butch's staff didn't offer his brother when he was at Cincy (bro ended up at UCONN). A lot of Michigan State and Wisconsin talk with him right now. I think Cincinnati is a darkhorse, especially if they can land Hawkins.

Malik Vann❕ ✔ @MalikVann7
TOP 6❕ #RollTide 🐘#CinCityPride ⚫️🔴#GoGreen ✅#BoomerSooner ⭕️#GoVols 🍊#OnWisconsin 🔴⚪️

C9LIMAZXgAIbDT9.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
THE LATEST

Vann announced Tuesday night that Alabama, Cincinnati, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Wisconsin were the top six schools heading into what is expected to be the final ten weeks of his recruitment. Vann is planning to announce his final decision on June 26. He has upcoming visits scheduled to Cincinnati for this upcoming Friday, then will head down to Tennessee on April 22.

IN HIS WORDS

“How I feel I would fit into their programs, what they offer academically in my field of study and good football and possible early playing time (were important when narrowing down the list).”

RIVALS’ REACTION

Vann admitted that while June 26 is the planned commitment date, he is starting to feel a decision may come even sooner than that. With the Spring Evaluation Period starting up next week, then, these six schools have to assume they are making their final pitches in the coming weeks. Early in the process Notre Dame was a leader, but the Fighting Irish filled up at his position. Michigan State, which remains in contention, was also named as an early leader, but do not sleep on the hometown Cincinnati Bearcats. Vann seems to be buying into the vision new head coach Luke Fickell is presenting there.

- Josh Helmholdt, Rivals

Vol next weekend?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back