How often do recruits get upgraded in their senior year?

Grand Vol

Official VN Armorer
Lab Rat
Legitimate question for those that follow recruiting more closely than I do. I seem to recall a couple of years ago some of our recruits getting a bump from 3 to 4 stars prior to NSD, so I'm wondering how often it happens if they ball out their senior year. Especially for those that are somewhat close to that next level in the rankings as it is.

The question is somewhat related to the 2017 recruiting class, but also a general question for my knowledge.

TIA, SIAP and all that jazz.

Legitimate question for those that follow recruiting more closely than I do. I seem to recall a couple of years ago some of our recruits getting a bump from 3 to 4 stars prior to NSD, so I'm wondering how often it happens if they ball out their senior year. Especially for those that are somewhat close to that next level in the rankings as it is.

The question is somewhat related to the 2017 recruiting class, but also a general question for my knowledge.

TIA, SIAP and all that jazz.

It does happen. Kids get a bump up some get bumped down. A lot stay the same. As fans it's common to point to everyone we get is underrated. You can usually take the guesses on how many deserve a bump and cut it in at least half for what actually happens. My guess? 2-4 at most from the current list. Of course we have to hope those aren't part of the group sent packing.

Very very rare anything changes during the season. The most significant changes will be from off the radar kids or previously injured who show they are back. The only other changes will be some slight movement from kids who attend all star games at the end of the season.

Very unlikely any of the current 3 stars we have bump up to 4 star like so many here always expect or say will happen.

Reactions: 2 people
Very very rare anything changes during the season. The most significant changes will be from off the radar kids or previously injured who show they are back. The only other changes will be some slight movement from kids who attend all star games at the end of the season.

Very unlikely any of the current 3 stars we have bump up to 4 star like so many here always expect or say will happen.

Any? Lol

Reactions: 2 people
I think the big mamma jamma lineman from Kentucky got a late bump a year ago or so. I think he went from a 3* to a 5*. It was some huge bump based off nothing, at least that I saw. Those are rare though.

I think the big mamma jamma lineman from Kentucky got a late bump a year ago or so. I think he went from a 3* to a 5*. It was some huge bump based off nothing, at least that I saw. Those are rare though.

Jedrick Wills? He started going to camps to get noticed. You get named a top performer at a local or regional camp, then get invited to national camps and that's usually good for a bump or two.

Jedrick Wills? He started going to camps to get noticed. You get named a top performer at a local or regional camp, then get invited to national camps and that's usually good for a bump or two.

No Wills is in this class. This kid went like 4 bills I believe after a week on a juice diet. He was a jumbo boy and looked like a hot mess to me talent wise.

There are what 2-3 more updates from each site before signing day? Maybe just two. I know their final one is usually after the all star games. I think

No Wills is in this class. This kid went like 4 bills I believe after a week on a juice diet. He was a jumbo boy and looked like a hot mess to me talent wise.

Ah. Thought you were talking about a '17 recruit. Not sure who that is.

Not sure if serious... Kids get a 3 to 4 star bump pretty frequently during or after their senior seasons.

Reactions: 3 people
How would 17 yr olds not get better at different rates in high school? It would appear to me that it would be the exact time to improve.

Would be useful to have numbers. IE # of Composite 4* at this time last year and # at signing day, but not sure who would have it or how to pull that.

How would 17 yr olds not get better at different rates in high school? It would appear to me that it would be the exact time to improve.

Because the recruiting services put much more weight into what they see in camps than senior film.

Would be useful to have numbers. IE # of Composite 4* at this time last year and # at signing day, but not sure who would have it or how to pull that.

Catbone did a little of that the other day. Not sure which service was used.

July 2015-
7 4*, 6 3*.

July 2016-
3 4* 20 3*

As for last signing day I believe we had 10 4* and 11 3*.

Reactions: 1 person
Catbone did a little of that the other day. Not sure which service was used.

July 2015-
7 4*, 6 3*.

July 2016-
3 4* 20 3*

As for last signing day I believe we had 10 4* and 11 3*.

I am not talking about us, I am talking about total. To see how many players overall get "bumped".

Well without any numbers or facts, I am not sure how we can have an actual discussion concerning the likelihood of players getting bumped.

At least nothing meaningful and just another showing of pessimist versus optimist.

Well without any numbers or facts, I am not sure how we can have an actual discussion concerning the likelihood of players getting bumped.

At least nothing meaningful and just another showing of pessimist versus optimist.

It's a guessing game like a lot of recruiting.

From watching closely the last few years, quite a few get bumped, but there usually is not a substantial change. I believe I read that it 247 tries to keep only 32 (comparable to being a 1st round draft pick) 5* players. It isn't often one makes the jump from a 4* to a 5* since it isn't easy to drop someone that was rated highly throughout the camp process.

I'm the other hand, I do anticipate many of our 3* to be bumped to very low 4*, but again nothing too substantial.

The reason is, if the players haven't already received an invitation to one of the highly touted end of the season all-star games then they most likely won't have another chance to be evaluated and bypass all the talent that will be at those events.

whatever ESPN's Tom Luginbill says is what I go with...gotta trust him...he wears cowboy boots on his job...:)

GO VOLS!

Totally disagree. Early recruiting evaluations are subjective and biased to begin with (they're heavily influenced by coaching relationships, playing time, and which sponsored camps a prospect attends), but, more importantly, you have to keep in mind that these are all still teenagers between 15-18 years old. For a sport that depends so heavily on speed and strength, it's ludicrous to imagine that evaluations "rarely" change for kids who are all still growing - especially lineman and the kind of rangy commits we have like Bembry and Henderson. And yes, looking at actual game tape reveals more about talent than what a kid does running around in shorts at a camp.

Say what you want about Coach Jones, but he and his staff are excellent at evaluating potential. With such a deep roster, I think the coaches have had to take flyers on a lot of high-upside 3-stars that could indeed get bumped in the months to come.

Reactions: 1 person
The analysts at these recruiting sites are NOT keen on admitting they were wrong. IIRC, they leave some space so they can upgrade a few players that weren't noticed or just really impress in summer camps or the season.

But for the most part, if they've looked at a kid and given him a rating.... they don't like to change the rating.

Totally disagree. Early recruiting evaluations are subjective and biased to begin with (they're heavily influenced by coaching relationships, playing time, and which sponsored camps a prospect attends), but, more importantly, you have to keep in mind that these are all still teenagers between 15-18 years old. For a sport that depends so heavily on speed and strength, it's ludicrous to imagine that evaluations "rarely" change for kids who are all still growing - especially lineman and the kind of rangy commits we have like Bembry and Henderson. And yes, looking at actual game tape reveals more about talent than what a kid does running around in shorts at a camp.

Say what you want about Coach Jones, but he and his staff are excellent at evaluating potential. With such a deep roster, I think the coaches have had to take flyers on a lot of high-upside 3-stars that could indeed get bumped in the months to come.

I don't think you understood his post. He wasn't saying that players don't get better or really anything to do with the quality of the player. He was saying they very seldom get bumped up to 4 or 5 stars. Which is a true statement.

VN Store

Back