'17 AL DE LaBryan Ray

sanddune50

Per P Fort

It’s hard for any program to head into the state of Alabama these days and pluck a top prospect away from the Crimson Tide and Auburn.

But, Tennessee is trying to do that in its pursuit of Madison, Ala., defensive end LaBryan Ray.

The North Alabama prospect said he wanted to see the Vols again after checking out Rocky Top for a junior day in March. He got the chance to do that at last weekend's Orange Carpet Day.

“I wanted to see the coaches again and talk to them,” Ray said. “I wanted to see the campus again and honestly, I’m just really interested.”

Tennessee only helped themselves with Ray during his most recent time on campus.

“It was good. I got to talk to all the coaches and have a lot of fun,” Ray said. “Just to see the coaches relaxed, it was a good time. It was a good time.”

Ray said a big reason he’s interested in the Vols is because of Tennessee’s defensive line coach, Steve Striplng.

“First off, the coaches. Coach Stripling and those guys,” Ray said. “Then, I wanted to see the campus because it’s one of the best looking ones. That doesn’t hurt, either.

“This is a place I’m really interested in and one of the places I’m really thinking about coming to.

Ray has a number of offers from around the country but Alabama is considered one of the teams recruiting him the hardest. He recently visited Ole Miss and Auburn as well. Mississippi State and Florida could also receive visits this summer.

Ray added that the Vols aren’t too far away, just a little over three hours from his home, and he likes that about Tennessee as well.

"It’s a good enough distance that if I were to come here I could come back home and my parents could come see me play,” Ray said.

While Ray wasn’t one of the eight prospects the Vols landed commitments from on Orange Carpet Day, he did say he could see why they chose the Vols after visiting Tennessee once again.

“It was surprising. But, I can kind of see why,” Ray said, “ And they believed in their heart for them this was it. I guess they are building a great class.”

Reactions: 10 people
4_4303010.jpg

LaBryan Ray, James Clemens, Strong-Side Defensive End
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2520
Labryan Ray, James Clemens HS DE - Scout

For those Interested

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Madison is about 15 minutes from the Tennessee state line. Almost as close to Knoxville as TTown. Lots of transplants in the area so the Bama pull isn't as strong as some other areas of the state.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back