'17 NC DE Matthew Butler (UT Signee)

Is it just me or does it seem like we're mostly pursuing the SDE types this year and not as many WDEs?

Is it just me or does it seem like we're mostly pursuing the SDE types this year and not as many WDEs?

Since 2015 it's seemed like their trend is to take OLB/DE hybrid types and try to turn them into WDEs. Case in point being Taylor, Bituli, and possibly Smith.

Was at Tennessee on Thursday

“Now I’ve talked to Coach (Butch) Jones even more. I’ve talked to Coach Strip (defensive line coach Steve Stripling) even more. I’ve talked to (defensive graduate assistant Nathan) Ollie even more. The defensive side of the ball, I’m really getting a feel for. I feel comfortable here, so they’re near the top.”

“I’m looking into the in-state schools, as far as the ACC, in Duke and N.C. State. But I’m getting an SEC feel, just as far as the SEC’s the best conference,” Butler said.

“There’s a few schools on the back burner that are recruiting me pretty hard. (I am) looking into them. But I would say, if I had a (group of) top schools, those would be the top schools.”
RC

I just Crystal Balled Butler to Tennessee, too. Been on the verge of doing it for a few days now. I don't think anything is imminent, but I do think the Vols are in pretty good shape right now. Sounds like he wants to take a few visits this fall before making a decision.

I do think Tennessee would take Butler right now. He's higher on the Vols' board than a lot of people probably would think.

-RC

Reactions: 1 person
Definitely fits Butch's Recruiting Profile for this year. We probably have a good shot for this guy.

Is the size and speed shown in profile accurate? If so then even if he hasn't got a lot of stars he's a stud.

His Hudl highlights show a really good motor also. In that respect he reminds me a little bit of Barnett. Saw him run down a lot of smaller guys and never give up on a play.

Granted, you'd never put a play where you do give up on film in the first place.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back