'19 TN QB Brandon Wharton II

He is the son of ex Overton High two sport star, and former Vols point guard Brandon Wharton. His dad had football offers as a QB himself to ND and Oklahoma after the conclusion of his junior year, but chose to play basketball instead.

He recently transferred out of Lighthouse Christian (8-man football). There he also played basketball under his grandfather. BW2 is now enrolled and will be playing football/basketball at Nolensville High.

Nolensville High is a brand new school. Outside of one single game vs. a visiting South Gibson team, they will only be playing a JV football schedule this season. That is due to the contest filling a vacancy that was created and left on SGs schedule after the closing of Jackson Central-Merry.

BW2 is the grandson of Vic Wharton, and nephew of VW II. That obviously makes him first cousins with that big time, California Golden Bear STAR WR, and former Vol Vic Wharton III too.

BW2 is already 6'3 and 190 lbs, and it's a fact that he comes from a good, athletic family pedigree. Now that don't necessarily mean that he'll ever amount to anything however. There are no guarantees that he ends up being a legit D1 prospect, much less SEC/UT material.

According to one particular article that I just read, he's starting to pop up on the recruiting radar screens. Even if he turns out to not be all that good, he'll still definitely draw a little attention just because of his families last name, and their past playing careers alone.

I guess he's now just someone else for you die hard, recruiting junkies to keep an eye on over the next couple of years. If he starts to blow up, and especially if UT shows the slightest interest, I figure with him being a legacy he'll get plenty of attention on here. Hopefully he ends up being the type of player that turns this into a 100+ page thread.

Brandon Wharton II, Lighthouse Christian School, Dual-Threat Quarterback

Brandon Wharton II - Hudl

Freshman Varsity Highlights - Brandon Wharton II highlights - Hudl

https://twitter.com/bwhartii

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
My ocd wants to shoot you due to this thread title and op format.

stewie.gif

Reactions: 5 people
If he were going to be a big time recruit, you'd think his transfer would have been to a more legitimate football school. He's at best only going to get 2 years of 11v11 football, and probably on an extremely poor team.

Vic was his own worst enemy if memory serves me correctly. He had a hard time playing well with others, and by all accounts, didn't adhere to coaches' demands and wasn't the best teammate. He attended at least 3 high schools IIRC, and now, 2 colleges.

At some point, he'll have to consider the idea that there's only one common denominator in all those situations.

Reactions: 4 people
If he were going to be a big time recruit, you'd think his transfer would have been to a more legitimate football school. He's at best only going to get 2 years of 11v11 football, and probably on an extremely poor team.

The head football coach at Nolensville is Will Hester, the former head coach at Ravenwood High School. Ravenwood appeared in the Tennessee 6A state championship game the last 2 years - winning it all last season. I think his hiring brought immediate legitimacy to Nolensville High School.

The story I heard is that Vic had multiple complaints of unhappiness with Butch. Claiming Butch lied to him about a range of things stretching from possibly playing time to the number he could wear. Vic was likely to be problematic while at UT. Probably just both for best parties that he went. Sucks because Vic would have found his role in this squad and his favorite jersey number, had he been mature and responsible and patient.

Don't know much about Brandon's son....but the Wharton family has a history of "wanting to get their way" and mulitple transfers have happened within that family. Even in grade and high schools.....

Since Vic seemed to love the Vols and Knoxville I was very hopeful that all the unfavorable stories I'd heard about him and the less than sportsmanlike behavior I'd seen with my own eyes from him were a thing of the past once he got to Knoxville. Clearly that wasn't the case. Curious to see how long he lasts at Cal.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not trying to bash the kid and I hope he matures and it works out for him at Cal. I believe he would have been a star at UT. Unfortuante situation.

Me neither, just honestly discussing the kid. I think you were too.

Vic was a huge part of the 2014 recruiting class coming together. Even though he didn't work out as a player, he will always be remembered for helping turn around the program for what he did in helping recruiting.

Reactions: 1 person
Vic was a huge part of the 2014 recruiting class coming together. Even though he didn't work out as a player, he will always be remembered for helping turn around the program for what he did in helping recruiting.

"Huge" is considerably overstating it IMO. He got the ball rolling by being the first commit and he knew a handful of in state and legacy players but I think it's a myth that he was some type of Pied Piper for that 2014 class. The coaches should get the lionshare of the credit for putting that class together, not a petulant, flaky 3/borderline 4 star player who couldn't get on the field as a freshman.

Reactions: 3 people
"Huge" is considerably overstating it IMO. He got the ball rolling by being the first commit and he knew a handful of in state and legacy players but I think it's a myth that he was some type of Pied Piper for that 2014 class. The coaches should get the lionshare of the credit for putting that class together, not a petulant, flaky 3/borderline 4 star player who couldn't get on the field as a freshman.

Overstating? Do you realize how easily any decent program in the country could come in here and take the best recruits from the previous staff? Alabama, Florida State, & Ole Miss, just to name three were loving it.

Peer recruiting was a huge part of that class, and Butch stated that. So, your insults to Vic are unfair and unwarranted. As to petulant and flaky, you need to check the nearest mirror.

VN Store

Back