'17 CT QB CJ Lewis (Former TN commit 7/23/16)

"After talking to a few people today it sounds like CJ Lewis was the MVP of the camp. He won the most accurate arm award and ran in the 4.5 range in the 40 while measuring in at 6-3, 205.

I just got off the phone with him and he was really excited about his performance. He said coach Jones pulled him to the side and let him know he did, 'A hell of a job.'

He said the coaches told him the only reason they didn't offer today is they have a few more camps moving forward and want to go through those before pulling the trigger on anyone.

But, I think it's easy to say Lewis moved up the board today with his performance."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 5 people
CJ Lewis has been on Tennessee’s radar for months, and he visited the Vols for the second time Saturday to attend their arsenal camp in hopes of landing a scholarship offer from them.
He might have moved one step closer to getting it.
The three-star rising senior quarterback from Cheshire (Conn.) Academy said he won the “accurate-arm award” during Tennessee’s quarterback camp, and Vols coach Butch Jones let him know that he “moved a lot higher on the board” with his performance Saturday afternoon.
Lewis, whose only offer is from home-state school Connecticut, said he was timed at 4.56 seconds in the 40-yard dash during the camp, and he’s hoping that Tennessee could extend an offer to him in the coming weeks.
“I guess I tested well in the 40 — ran a 4.56. I won accurate-arm award for the camp, and Coach Jones, after he pulled me aside and we threw in the stadium, he told me that I’d moved a lot higher on the board, and I should hear something after he’s done with camps over in Tennessee,” said Lewis, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 36 dual-threat quarterback in the 2017 class.
“They were pretty excited about everything. The only thing they said was that sometimes my front shoulder rises when I throw, so the ball sailed on me. But everything else, they liked. They liked my feet. I have a comfortable base, and I have a great release and stuff like that.”
The 6-foot-3.5, 205-pound Lewis, who also attended Tennessee’s spring-ending Orange and White Game in April, said he enjoyed working with Vols offensive coordinator Mike DeBord and offensive quality control assistant Nick Sheridan throughout the camp.
“He’s very enthusiastic and outgoing and uptempo all the time,” Lewis said of DeBord. “He really pays attention to the little things, which I need to become great. I think that’s what I’m looking for in the process. There’s not a lot of coaches like him. Every coach has their own different style of teaching, and Coach DeBord’s is a way that I like.
“I spent a lot of time with Coach Sheridan. He put me through tests. Every time I would throw, he would say, ‘Go again,’ and tell me to fix things. He wanted to do it his way, and that’s what he wanted to see, so I was working with him a lot.”
Lewis said he also was able to talk extensively with Tennessee starting quarterback Joshua Dobbs, one of several current Vols who helped with the camp.
“He said that I’m smooth, and he said, ‘The only thing that you need to work on a little is to be a little urgent because, when you play in the SEC, it’s a lot faster.’ He said to be urgent,” Lewis said of Dobbs.
“We didn’t really talk about football. We just talked about life — where I’m from, how’s school going? And I asked him about how Tennessee is, how the fans are and stuff like that. We just talked a little bit about everything. He said it’s a great place. He said it’s family first there. The football is amazing. The coaches are top-notch. It’s everything you can ask for, honestly.”
After visiting Tennessee twice, Lewis admitted he would have a hard time turning down the Vols if they extend an offer to him.
“That would be one that would be hard to pass up after what I’ve seen when I’ve visited,” he said. “It’s a great school. If they choose me over the people that camp there in the next couple of weeks, that shows me something that they really want me at the school, so that’s something to think about when I make a decision.”
He said Syracuse, Rutgers, Boston College and Wisconsin are among the other schools that have shown interest in him. But with some of them already having quarterback commitments, a few teams have shown interest in recruiting him as an athlete. Temple, Coastal Carolina and Buffalo are among the other teams still recruiting him as a quarterback.
Lewis said Connecticut is “pushing me to commit,” and he admitted he doesn’t plan to wait too long to end his recruitment. But he added that he wants to take the time necessary “to make the right decision and know in my heart that that’s the place for me.”
“I’m probably going to commit before the season,” he said. “That’s my goal. If something happens where I don’t, I’m going to commit as early as I can. I just want to get it out of the way so I can be committed to one team, talk to the players that are committed there and just build a relationship with the coaches.”

Reactions: 4 people
I got to watch him at the camp....great athlete, quick feet, erratic passer.

Reactions: 2 people
Must have been pretty poor competition then since he won the accurate arm award. Seems like the coaches liked him

This is third year weve gone to the camp. Those awards go to the guys who are invited and being looked at. It's predetermined.

This was not a particularly strong year, no.

Reactions: 4 people
This is third year weve gone to the camp. Those awards go to the guys who are invited and being looked at. It's predetermined.

This was not a particularly strong year, no.

Well just my opinion, but I do not like that they do the camp that way.

Well just my opinion, but I do not like that they do the camp that way.

This is the first year the invitees have thrown with regular attendees. In previous years they've been around, but never shared reps with the other campers

Sounds like he's ours if we want him. Truthfully, I think anyone would be crazy to sign with anybody else. If Tennessee offers you to play QB, you would be crazy to not commit. (Orange glasses)

Sounds like he's ours if we want him. Truthfully, I think anyone would be crazy to sign with anybody else. If Tennessee offers you to play QB, you would be crazy to not commit. (Orange glasses)

This is not the quarterback you seek.

Reactions: 1 person
"I think he will be the guy. And I think something could happen soon."

- Fortenberry

Film looks ok. Everyone knows he's coming as a depth guy between JG and Jones. Who knows, he could develop into a great player. He moves a lot like Dobbs. can't ever have too many quarterbacks

If he is worthy of playing meaningful snaps if need be, otherwise, no as I believe it gives us the edge with Jones.

If he is worthy of playing meaningful snaps if need be, otherwise, no as I believe it gives us the edge with Jones.

Might be related to where the staff feels they are with Jones. He did just visit before heading to OSU.

Or Jones was told about Lewis while on campus and seemed fine with it.

VN Store

Back