'18 NC DE K.J. Henry

The top-100 sophomore defensive end from West Forsyth High School in Clemmons, N.C., said he attended one of Tennessee’s camps last summer and returned in September for the Vols’ home game against Oklahoma, and they made a strong impression on him during both visits.

“I went to watch them play Oklahoma, which was a very exciting game,” Henry said during last week’s Nike The Opening Regional at Charlotte’s Mallard Creek High School. “Loud atmosphere — crazy. It was a good time.”

“One of the guys in my conference, (Tennessee defensive tackle) Shy Tuttle, played at North Davidson. I wanted to go see him,” said Henry, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 37 overall prospect and No. 2 weakside defensive end in the 2018 class. “And I went over there for camp the summer before, so I had a good talk with (former Vols tight ends) coach (Mark) Elder. He’s with Eastern Kentucky now, but I had a good talk with him. I got over to the camp and then came back for a visit.”

Henry said “just the fans” at Tennessee made a lasting impression on him.

“Honestly, that was probably the loudest game I’ve been to in a while, and that was really cool. Just the whole atmosphere was exciting, and the team looked good, so it was a fun time,” he said. “It was nice. It was a good place. I liked how they’ve got that Tennessee feel. Everybody’s for everybody. It was a good time.”

“Hopefully, after this season, I can get me a little list down and take a couple official visits, and we’ll go from there,” he said. “Honestly, I told my dad, if I get to make one of the All-America games, I might try to (announce my decision) during that, as long as that’s not too late. I don’t want to keep those coaches waiting too long.

- 247 (Callahan)

Reactions: 6 people
“I don’t think it was this past season, but the season before, I went down to a game. … it was a good one. In that atmosphere with those fans, it was really fun,” said Henry, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 20 overall prospect and No. 2 weakside defensive end in the 247Sports Composite for the 2018 class.

“I do remember it was a close game. I think they lost at the end. But it was definitely fun. I think they broke a record for how loud it was that day, so just being a part of that, seeing what they do for that state was definitely pretty cool,” he said. “And they lost, but they definitely showed up for that game, gave them a run for their money. And seeing that defensive line work was definitely cool.”

“I think them being close to home, I guess, always keeps them in the hunt, and them being a great school, also,” he said of Tennessee. I get some visits from different coaches here and there. But as far as contact, I don’t hear too much from them.

"I’m getting into this list of schools. I’d like to see if they start hitting me up again before I make my list. I definitely had a great time when I was over there, so talking to my parents, I’ll definitely, when I can, try and get back over there again.”

“It’ll definitely be sometime around my senior season, whether it’s during it, before it, after it,” he said. “I haven’t really thought about that yet. But I’m going to try to get a list down this upcoming spring and then just go from there.”

- 247 (Callahan)

Sounds like he'd be more interested if we stepped our communication with him.

VN Store

Back