'17 GA DE Aaron Sterling

rote

Reactions: 2 people
"Four-star defensive end Aaron Sterling has decommitted from Alabama. He was at NC State this weekend and I think he will take some other trips as well.

Georgia is in the mix and I could see Tennessee trying to be in the mix as well. He's visited a few times and he's familiar with the staff. And given that Tennessee wants to add another defensive end he's someone I think they will go after."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 2 people
"Four-star defensive end Aaron Sterling has decommitted from Alabama. He was at NC State this weekend and I think he will take some other trips as well.

Georgia is in the mix and I could see Tennessee trying to be in the mix as well. He's visited a few times and he's familiar with the staff. And given that Tennessee wants to add another defensive end he's someone I think they will go after."

- Fortenberry

can he play lb though?

Per Hubbs
Defensive end still remains an important spot for this staff as they look to add to an already impressive defensive haul. Butler is a top target and someone to definitely keep an eye on is Aaron Sterling at Tucker High School in Georgia.

Sterling recently de-committed from Alabama and has opened things up and the Vols are in the thick of it at this point. South Carolina and North Carolina State are options as well.

The Vols are also scouting several other options along the defensive line so we wouldn't be shocked if any other new names popped up in the next few weeks, especially as the coaching dominoes begin to fall.

Reactions: 6 people
On the defensive line the two most realistic priorities at defensive end continue to be Matthew Butler and Aaron Sterling. The Vols seem to have some real momentum with Butler at this point and should host him on an official visit in the next six weeks or so.

With Sterling, the priority is to get him on campus. Some believe NC State and South Carolina have the inside track at this point, but the Vols are working to have him on campus in November.

-VQ

Reactions: 1 person
Spoke to a Tucker/UGA alumn who coaches and trains players he said this kid is the real deal and the only thing to know was he's very raw. Also said he's definitely a outside edge pass rush guy who plays the run decently, but speed and athleticism are his strengths.

Man the ratings on this kid are all over the place. 4 star on Rivals, and a low 3-star on 247. We definitely need another legit DE though. I don't get the staff's love for Butler to be honest...comparing him to Vereen? I'd hope we'd do better than a Vereen type, especially with numbers so tight.

Man the ratings on this kid are all over the place. 4 star on Rivals, and a low 3-star on 247. We definitely need another legit DE though. I don't get the staff's love for Butler to be honest...comparing him to Vereen? I'd hope we'd do better than a Vereen type, especially with numbers so tight.

Better than Vereen's don't grow on trees.

Reactions: 3 people
Better than Vereen is what we should be recruiting. He's a solid player but not elite, disappears way too often when he should be feasting.

Vereen has average physical talent but gives superior effort. His value is completely related to character and effort. When it comes to physical attributes, he's a dime a dozen in the SEC.

Watch Vols with MSU commit Deandre Johnson.

Vereen has average physical talent but gives superior effort. His value is completely related to character and effort. When it comes to physical attributes, he's a dime a dozen in the SEC.

He has a great get off, too. If Kongbo fired off the snap like Vereen, he'd have half a dozen sacks to go along with Vereen this year.

But yeah, he doesn't have the physical measurables to be a top flight DE.

Better than Vereen is what we should be recruiting. He's a solid player but not elite, disappears way too often when he should be feasting.

Agreed. Vereen honestly has been disappointing this year. He disappears way too much. He's really struggled to generate any kind of a consistent pass rush and he's really had a difficult time with containment as well.

Agreed. Vereen honestly has been disappointing this year. He disappears way too much. He's really struggled to generate any kind of a consistent pass rush and he's really had a difficult time with containment as well.

I do agree but he's actually been better against the run than as a pass rusher this season. I've seen him in on more tackles on the RB than on the QB. Quite a few more tackles too. :wink:

I do agree but he's actually been better against the run than as a pass rusher this season. I've seen him in on more tackles on the RB than on the QB. Quite a few more tackles too. :wink:

Wait, wait, wait... are you telling me that Vereen has more tackles than sacks??!

Is about to play on the state championship with Tucker.

One of the announcers was discussing this offers from UGA, Bama, and Tennessee.

Chuck Smith is the other announcer and he said "You know he is big time with that Tennessee offer."

The other announcer said "well Georgia and Bama too."

Chuck Smith said "yeah, I guess you can throw those on there too."

Reactions: 14 people

VN Store

Back