'18 GA OG Dylan Wonnum

Dylan Wonnum came to Tennessee hoping for an offer, but he didn't necessarily expect one. The class of 2018 offensive lineman already secured scholarship invitations from schools like Illinois, Kentucky and Wake Forest without thinking too much about snagging one from Butch Jones' program.
When Jones extended the offer, Wonnum was shocked.
"It was a surprise," Wonnum said. "It's just great. I was hoping to get an offer but I didn't know they were going to offer me right on the spot like that."
The trip was the Stone Mountain, Georgia, native's second visit to Knoxville and first outside of a game day. Wonnum toured the facilities, spoke with the coaching staff and met with other recruits who are also considering committing to the Vols. After seeing what Tennessee had to offer, he received one.
"They surpassed everything," Wonnum said. "I really liked the locker room and everything”
The 6-foot-5, 289-pound rising junior also had the opportunity to sit down with offensive line coach Don Mahoney to go over where his skill set would fit along Tennessee's future line.

Reactions: 1 person
Quick notes on OT Dylan Wonnum

The offensive lineman from Tucker (Ga.) will take an OV to Tennessee in January. Vols maybe late to the party but Will Friend has told Wonnum he's a priority. Auburn and South Carolina (where his bother DJ plays) are the favorites. Interestingly, Wonnum is very close with Bryan McClendon as SC.

-Simonton

Reactions: 4 people
ORLANDO, Fla. — After inking four offensive lineman during the early signing period, Tennessee to continues to target the position as a priory for its 2018 class. New Vols offensive line coach Will Friend recently reached out to 4-star offensive tackle Dylan Wonnum, reiterating to the Tucker (Ga.) product that he still had a standing scholarship at Tennessee.

"My interest (in Tennessee) has definitely gone back up since the coaching change," Wonnum told VolQuest.com. "It's new, but coach (Friend) let me know that I still have an offer and he sees me as an offensive tackle. ... That I could come in and compete right away."

Wonnum holds more than a dozen offers, with signifiant interest from Auburn and South Carolina. His brother D.J. is a talented pass rusher for the Gamecocks, while the 6-foot-5, 293-pounder has been on The Plains a bunch.

Wonnum will officially visit Auburn, South Carolina and LSU in January, and the Vols were recently added to the schedule, too. "Early in my recruitment I actually really did like Tennessee, but it went down after the season and the coaching change. I didn't hear from nobody, but now, it went back up. I don't have any set dates (yet) but I'll get up there."

While Tennessee is late to the party for the 4-star offensive tackle, Wonnum admits he's intrigued by the depth chart and is eager to checkout Rocky Top next month.

-VQ

Reactions: 9 people
SC fans would be super butthurt if we stole this kid

Would make it all the sweeter.

USCe getting a little too big for their britches just because they beat us a few times recently.

I imagine it'd be real hard to steal him this late in the game, especially considering his brother plays there, but if anyone can do it... Pruitt and co. can.

Reactions: 3 people
Would make it all the sweeter.

USCe getting a little too big for their britches just because they beat us a few times recently.

I imagine it'd be real hard to steal him this late in the game, especially considering his brother plays there, but if anyone can do it... Pruitt and co. can.
If we get McClendon I think we can do it. As simonton pointed out he’s close to him and I’ve heard that he’s not deadset on playing with his brother

Reactions: 2 people
Always makes me wonder when the in state school is not chasing a highly ranked recruit. Its not as if he's not being recruited by major P5 teams so what gives? Is he not good enough or not a fit for them? GA trolls welcome to respond

Always makes me wonder when the in state school is not chasing a highly ranked recruit. Its not as if he's not being recruited by major P5 teams so what gives? Is he not good enough or not a fit for them? GA trolls welcome to respond

Not a Georgia troll, but how can they? Georgia isn't like Tennessee, Alabama, the Carolinas, According to247 the state of Georgia produced 31 4 and 5* kids for the 18 class and they can't sign all of them even if they didn't recruit a single kid from out of state.

As of today they are signed/committe to Clemson-3, South Carolina-2, Auburn-6, Michigan, FSU, Miami, Minn., Miami, ND and Bama all have 1 each, UF has 3, Georgia-7 with 4 undecided

Reactions: 1 person

Better tread lightly with that last sentence

I see they have 5 highly ranked Ol and their lowest being a 3 from OK. He's 6-7 so probably has a nice upside. GA pisses me off.

VN Store

Back