'17 AL LB Monty Rice

Just two days after Monty Rice received a scholarship offer from Tennessee, he decided to visit the Vols earlier this month for the first time.
Three-star junior linebacker Monty Rice of James Clemens High School in Madison, Ala., is ranked as the nation's No. 647 overall prospect and No. 24 inside linebacker in the 2017 class.
It probably won’t be his last time there.
The three-star junior linebacker from James Clemens High School in Madison, Ala., said he enjoyed his first look at the Vols on March 5 during their latest junior day, and Tennessee is one of at least a half-dozen teams that currently are standing out to him.
“Their facilities were nice, and I got to meet (Tennessee quarterback) Josh Dobbs, so it was pretty good,” said Rice, who’s ranked as the nation’s No. 647 overall prospect and No. 24 inside linebacker in the 2017 class.
“I didn’t know much about it (before the visit). I was just going up there to check everything out. It was pretty good.”
The 6-foot-1, 227-pound Rice said Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Michigan and Auburn also are among the teams currently standing out to him, and he “probably” will visit the Vols again at some point.
“I’ll definitely consider Tennessee. I just liked it,” said Rice, who holds offers from at least 15 schools, including Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky and Louisville.
“I didn’t know how nice it was. I didn’t know it was that nice. (I liked) just everything. … I may go to a camp (at Tennessee), and then I’ll probably go to some games.”
Rice said he has been talking with the Vols’ coaches since “a few days” before they extended an offer to him earlier this month, and he enjoyed talking with Tennessee coach Butch Jones’ staff — including linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen — while he was on campus.
“A lot of people were there, so I didn’t get a lot of one-on-one time with them,” Rice said. “But I did talk to Thigpen, and he was like, ‘We love your film,’ and all that. I was about to meet with (Jones), but then I had to leave.”
Rice currently in no hurry to decide on a college, but he said it’s possible that he could be ready to end his recruitment by the end of the summer.
“I’m graduating early, so maybe before my senior season,” he said.

Tennessee could be a factor for Monty Rice out of the Huntsville, Ala., area, too. Leonard Warner is someone the Vols are trying to get in on. Both could see a visit from Thigpen as well.

-VQ

Reactions: 2 people
Wanted to bump this up as I just caught up on some threads and saw some discussion on Burnam and Henderson and their future as commits and who else we may be targeting. I remember reading that we might be turning the heat up on Rice and he may be an option. Also Leonard Warner as mentioned above in that post from Ron.

Last edited:
Further proof that it's only a matter of time before Burnam is gone.

Wanted to bump this up as I just caught up on some threads and saw some discussion on Burnham and Henderson and their future as commits and who else we may be targeting. I remember reading that we might be turning the heat up on Rice and he may be an option. Also Leonard Warner as mentioned above in that post from Ron.

Henderson is a take all the way IMO. Solid player who fits what we want to do on D. Burnam probably ends up elsewhere. Just my best guess ATP.

Has offers from LSU, auburn, alabama, UGA, FSU, among others. 5* offer list. Wonder why he's ranked so low on the normal 247 rankings

Wow, that came out of nowhere. I really like his game. I think he's one of those guys who is going to make a huge jump in the rankings.

I guess all the injuries had a funny way of helping show kids there is still opportunity at certain positions to play early

Tennessee is in good shape right now with Rice. I work with a guy whose son is good friends with Monty and he told him yesterday the Vols lead for him and Ignont. Now are we done at linebacker? That's a question but it wouldn't surprise me if we parted ways with Burnham. Monty is 220 and FAST. Best of all he's a great kid. Hope he is a take. He likes a few others as well and that recruitment isn't done.

-Brad Shephard

-Brad Shephard

Interesting stuff. I hadn't heard much with him and Tennessee. I'd say he'd be a definite upgrade over our 3 original LB commits. He has a ton of big-time offers from teams that are actively pursuing him. I think he's taking an OV to Florida State this weekend.

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting stuff. I hadn't heard much with him and Tennessee. I'd say he'd be a definite upgrade over our 3 original LB commits. He has a ton of big-time offers from teams that are actively pursuing him. I think he's taking an OV to Florida State this weekend.

Yup kind of came out of nowhere. Brad lives in that area brought some good nuggets last night.

Good player.

Ignont and Rice could replace Solon Page and Burnham.

Not sure we would let page walk. They like his potential accdg to 247

Yeah Page is a pretty solid prospect.

But between Rice, Henderson, and Page, i think they would let Page go. I know rice is a Mlb.

Imo, we need LBs like Ignont skill or above. Bama just isn't slowing down.

Think about how far the Vols have come over 3 years and then Bama just kicks us down like they did.

But between Rice, Henderson, and Page, i think they would let Page go. I know rice is a Mlb.

Think about how far the Vols have come over 3 years and then Bama just kicks us down like they did.

This is true, but Bama was relatively healthy and Tennessee was far, far from it. I don't think the end result of that game was a true barometer of the talent differential between the two programs right now. Perhaps an accurate portrayal of our lack of depth still, but I'd like to see both teams head-to-head at full strength. Bama is still more talented in a vacuum, but the gap is closer than that game showed IMO.

Reactions: 3 people

Based on recent comments on TOS Henderson might be the one who gets dropped if we can land another big-time LB.

VN Store

Back