Tyler Taylor
Buford, GA (Lanier)
Inside LB
6-1, 213

Tyler Taylor, Lanier, Inside Linebacker
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/183597
Tyler Taylor - Hudl
Tyler Taylor, Lanier High School OLB - Scout

The three-star junior linebacker from Lanier High School in Buford, Ga., said he picked up an offer from Tennessee on Monday night, and he’s now planning to visit the Vols for the first time Saturday to attend their junior day.

“It surprised me a lot,” said Taylor, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 586 overall prospect and No. 20 inside linebacker in the 247Sports Composite for the 2017 class. “I had to reread the text more than once.”

“I want to visit them because of the kind of school the Vols are. The Vols are one of the powerhouse schools in college football history and always will be,” Taylor said via text message.

Reactions: 12 people
Considering his height and weight would he be more of a true OLB once in the program or more of the "star" position Shoop likes to use? I'll hang up and listen...

Considering his height and weight would he be more of a true OLB once in the program or more of the "star" position Shoop likes to use? I'll hang up and listen...

I'd bet he adds some strength/weight if he comes here, and he's still a fit at ILB. Kirkland is 6'1" as well.

I like the star position, IMO it will really help our defense keep teams honest. I used to get so frustrated watching our LB's trying to cover slot guys and getting burnt laterally, but with these quick, tough hybrid LB/DB types will really be able to minimize those quick underneath routes.

So Kell and Lanier are both Longhorns? Seems like an odd mascot for Georgia teams and close to each other at that.

So Kell and Lanier are both Longhorns? Seems like an odd mascot for Georgia teams and close to each other at that.

There's a ton of schools around here in general. They're pretty far away from each other for metro Atlanta standards.

We're talking 2+ hours away with traffic

Last edited:
Tennessee always makes the state of Georgia important on the recruiting trail and that's no different in 2017. Sugar Hill, Georgia linebacker Tyler Taylor continues to collect offers like he does tackles on Friday nights and visited Tennessee earlier this month. On that visit, it was the Vols extending the chance to play.

"It was a great experience," Taylor said. "Tennessee is a top notch program and they will always be a top notch program. I was happy and surprised to get an offer from Tennessee. They just have everything I'm looking for."

One thing you get from most prospects is the family atmosphere that resonates at Tennessee. That was the case again with Taylor who felt a good vibe in Knoxville.

"Some schools say it's like family when it's not really like family," Taylor said. "I feel like with Tennessee, they are being nice out of their own kindness and not just because they want to get me here to play football. That says a lot to me."

Also impression the Peach state product was the facilities on Rocky Top. He really felt like they were second to none.

"The indoor facility is the best one I've seen," Taylor said. "It had so much room. Some of them have just the field and that's it. But it had plenty of room on the outside where people could be inside at the same time."

Taylor has a versatile game and he loves contact. Linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen really likes his game and made sure he knew it.

"People tell me I can play inside and outside linebacker," Taylor said. "I'm a sideline to sideline player. Tennessee told me they need me because they need linebackers. Coach Thigpen is an in your face, but he's not screaming and yelling. He said they really like my film."
-VQ.

Reactions: 7 people
Any new commitments coming soon?

"I don't know. They have some guys on campus this weekend and I think a guy like Tyler Taylor is close out of Georgia."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 8 people
"Tennessee will have a couple of kids on campus this weekend. Both Colin Anderson and Tyler Taylor will be in Knoxville. With Wooten's recent commitment to Auburn, Taylor has moved up the board. Tennessee has made a move as of late with him."

- Austin Price

Reactions: 4 people
The four-star rising senior linebacker from Lanier High School in Buford, Ga., visited the Vols on Saturday for the second time in less than three months, and he admitted he expects Tennessee to be “a top school” on his list following his latest trip to Knoxville.
“It went good. I like Tennessee a lot,” said Taylor, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 306 overall prospect and No. 10 inside linebacker in the 2017 class.
“I think they’ll be a top school. I haven’t really finalized all that yet. I’ll be doing that in a few days, but I think Tennessee will be up there.”
The 6-foot-1, 213-pound Taylor previously had been to Tennessee in early March for one of its junior days. He returned there Saturday with his mother for a visit that allowed him to spend more one-on-one time with linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen and a few other members of the Vols’ staff.
“I went with my mom. That was her first time seeing it,” Taylor said. “She really liked Tennessee. She liked the campus. She thinks it’s a nice program and all that. And I’m pretty sure that she liked Coach Thigpen.”
Taylor said he watched film with Thigpen during the visit, and Thigpen took the opportunity to teach Taylor a few things and give him a better idea of the challenges that await him at the next level.
“He was just showing me how college speed is a lot different,” said Taylor, who holds scholarship offers from at least 25 schools. “He was basically telling me that I could play as a freshman, but there’s a lot to learn. You’ve got to learn all the calls and all that.
“One thing I thought was cool: He had, like, a blow horn and four or five of the girls that help (host recruits) and all that, they had whistles in their mouths. I had to read plays while he was blowing the horn and the whistles, and if I got a play wrong, he would blow the horn. That was pretty loud.”
Taylor said Thigpen has made a good impression on him since Tennessee extended an offer to him in late February.
“I really like Coach Thig,” Taylor said. “He’s just a cool person. I mean, he’s in-your-face. I think I like the way he coaches. He’s going to push you to get the best out of you on and off the field.”

VN Store

Back