'17 FL OLB Santino Marchiol (Texas A&M commit)

Looks like we are trying to get our foot (and presence) in the door at IMG before Harbaugh and Meatchicken sets up camp this spring.

Reactions: 1 person
Santino Marella

powerwalk.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Despite growing up in the Rocky Mountains, Colorado linebacker Santino Marchiol knew quite a bit about Tennessee.

In fact, the 6-foot-3, 230-pound four-star linebacker was at a Tennessee football game in Neyland Stadium as a child and the experience has stuck with him ever since.

“My mom is from Rocky Mount, North Carolina, and she would always talk about how great Tennessee is,” Marchiol explained. “We went to a Tennessee game when I was younger, maybe 6 or 7-years old, and I remember the atmosphere and the environment. I’ve kind of always liked it from then on. Then, last summer we visited it again and it was awesome.”

Until his trip back to Knoxville last summer, Tennessee was just a memory. But, after visiting and seeing what the program had to offer, the Vols have become real contenders.

“Tennessee has always been one of my dream schools if not the dream school,” Marchiol said. “It’s a beautiful place. I saw it once last summer on a bus tour with other prospects. I fell in love with it. It has a great atmosphere.”

Since then, Tennessee’s coaching staff has been communicating with Marchiol, who will play at IMG Academy his senior season, and he feels like he’s wanted in Knoxville.

“You always want to go to a place that wants you and I can tell with these coaches and how they treat me and how much they want me on this visit, I can tell it’s a place that really wants me,” Marchiol explained. “That’s what you look for. Not just a big name school.

“Plus, I’m graduating early and I want to be able to play early and Tennessee has two linebackers graduating after this year.”

Besides Tennessee, Marchiol is considering offers from Ole Miss, LSU, Ohio State, Stanford, Nebraska, Miami, North Carolina, N.C. State, Mississippi State, UCLA and several others.

His plan is to make an announcement towards the end of his senior season.

“I’m still going to visit a few places and take my official visits,” Marchiol said. “Then, I’ll commit during my football season on senior night.”

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 13 people
Everyone from IMG Academy is a beast. Would love for him to commit here.

That's because they recruit the best kids from all over the country. The FHSAA doesn't even recognize them and they're ineligible to participate in postseason play. Few FL schools are willing to play them as things stand now, thus why they play a national schedule.

That's because they recruit the best kids from all over the country. The FHSAA doesn't even recognize them and they're ineligible to participate in postseason play. Few FL schools are willing to play them as things stand now, thus why they play a national schedule.

What fun is it for the kids to not even be able to play for championships or anything post-season? I guess national exposure to colleges for the future outweighs the importance of that.

What fun is it for the kids to not even be able to play for championships or anything post-season? I guess national exposure to colleges for the future outweighs the importance of that.

More like a business every day, especially for the elite athletes..

“I loved Tennessee. It’s an amazing place. I really like it,” Marchiol said. “I could definitely see it being a home for me one day.”

“I had seen the campus before and the facilities, but you can’t look at a school because of those things because now days a lot of schools have great facilities and cool uniforms and things like that. The things I look at are the quality of the coaching staffs, what the school can offer you, and Tennessee treated me better than any school has treated me on a visit. They gave me the royal treatment. It was an awesome experience.”

“What I’ve figured out to be most important is just that the school actually wants you, legitimately wants you,” Marchiol said. “To know that they’re not just telling you, but that they are showing you they want you and that they need you at the school. That’s what I’m starting to see at a lot of places.”

Also says he's moved his committment date up to the end of the summer.
-VQ

Reactions: 4 people
"Santino Marchiol decided to make the trip to Tennessee this weekend just a few weeks after seeing Tennessee earlier this spring. Could that be a sign that he's close to doing something. He told us earlier this week he intends to wait until the end of the summer but he was very much aware that by then linebacker spots at certain schools could be less available than they are now."

- VQ

Reactions: 11 people
“tennessee was unbelievable,” said marchiol, who’s ranked by 247sports as the nation’s no. 191 overall prospect and no. 14 outside linebacker in the 2017 class. “i just felt really comfortable there with how their coaching staff and everybody there treats me. It’s a fantastic place — knoxville really is. Going back reassured me that it is a great place.

“i only have one more visit left, to ole miss, and then i’m going to make my decision. But tennessee is a pretty spectacular place.”

“they’re my top three, so they’re all standing out to me,” marchiol said. “but tennessee, it’s pretty unbelievable, to be honest. The coaches — (linebackers) coach (tommy) thigpen, coach butch jones, coach (bob) shoop, the d-coordinator — they just all treated me so great this weekend, and it was fantastic getting back up to knoxville to see the support of the fans — 70,000 there in attendance.

Reactions: 15 people

VN Store

Back