'17 AL LB KJ Britt

Kenney Britt has racked up 16 of his 20 scholarship offers within the past month, and he landed his first SEC offer two weeks ago from Tennessee. He’s now ready to take a firsthand look at the Vols.

The three-star junior linebacker from Oxford (Ala.) High School said he plans to visit Tennessee for the first time Saturday to attend its junior day, and he’s looking forward to seeing for himself what the Vols have to offer.

“It’ll be my first time up there,” said Britt, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 669 overall prospect and No. 23 outside linebacker in the 247Sports Composite for the 2017 class.

“(Linebackers) coach (Tommy) Thigpen was telling me how everything is laid out up there. It sounded pretty good when he was talking to me about the campus and all that stuff, and the fans and all that, so I thought I’d come up there on the 5th and check it out.”

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound Britt has added offers from Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Louisville, N.C. State and Wake Forest since getting his offer from Tennessee on Feb. 18.

Reactions: 1 person
The recruitment of Oxford, Alabama linebacker K.J. Britt has taken off immensely in recent weeks.

He's up to 20 offers and was in Knoxville on Saturday, but what did he think of Tennessee?

"That's a family here," Britt said. "The coaching staff was nice. The facilities were nice. Today was way better than I thought it was going to be. I love it here at Tennessee. They are high. I haven't narrowed it down to who is my leader but they are high."

With double digit offers in the last few weeks, it's been a whirlwind for Britt. Tennessee has liked the Alabama product for sometime and he thinks highly of the Vol program.

"It's been pretty crazy," Britt said. "I'm just learning to adapt to it. Tennessee was my first SEC offer and they gave me a chance and I'm giving them a chance first. I'm just doing whatever is in God's plan. I can't be traditional. I'm just going where God leads me."

Loving up Britt has been linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen who has an eye for talented guys that can shore up the middle of the defense. The two have been forging a relationship that Britt is enjoying each time they talk.

"He is cool and he keeps it real with you," Britt said. "He tells you why he offered so he is really cool. I talked to him one-on-one and he told me he isn't taking that many linebackers, but that he would take me easy.

"I want to make it back to one of their practices to see how coach Thig coaches and how coach Jones coaches. I'm going to come back, because I know I'm high on their priority list."

And during Junior day, Britt and several other prospects spoke about a gold helmet with the word "Swag" written on the side. It's another recruiting tool for Butch Jones and his coaching staff.

"It was pretty," Britt said. "When they pulled it out we were like, 'oooooh' because you think of Tennessee you don't expect a gold helmet to have SWAG on it."

"I'm just going enjoy the recruiting process and take all of my visits," Britt said. "Once I make my decision I'm not going to be de-committing or anything."

Britt plans on visiting Tennessee again as well as trips to Alabama, Auburn and possibly Georgia this Spring.Rivals.com ranks Britt as a 3-star linebacker in the class of 2017.
-VQ.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back