2016 Commits - Top 5 Offers

VolinArizona

not in Arizona anymore
I really like looking at the commits we have and compare who their 5 best offers were. This can potentially show sleepers and overrated guys. We all expected Cam Sutton to be a baller because he had a 4-5* offer list.

Nigel Warrior - Composite 4*

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Florida State
LSU

Jarrett Guarantano - Composite 4*

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Oklahoma
LSU

Jonathan Kongbo - Composite 4*

Alabama
Ohio State
Florida State
Oklahoma
Ole Miss

Tyler Byrd - Composite 4*

Ole Miss
Georgia
Florida
USC
Miami

Marquez Callaway - Composite 4*

Alabama
Florida State
Michigan State
Ole Miss
Notre Dame

Daniel Bituli - Composite 4*

Ohio State
Oklahoma
LSU
Ole Miss
Notre Dame

Ryan Johnson - Composite 4*

Alabama
Clemson
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Kansas State

Carlin Fils-Aime - Composite 4*

Alabama
Ohio State
Georgia
Michigan
Florida

Marcus Tatum - Composite 3*

Alabama
Ole Miss
Florida
Auburn
Miami

Brandon Johnson - Composite 3*

Clemson
Ole Miss
LSU
Georgia
Wisconsin

Ja'Quain Blakely - Composite 3*

Michigan State
Florida
Michigan
Iowa
Mississippi State

Corey Henderson - Composite 3*

TCU
Miami
Arizona State
Utah
Arkansas
(Ohio State would've if he visited)

Austin Pope - Composite 3*

Mississippi State
Arkansas
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma State

Devante Brooks - Composite 3*

Michigan
Iowa
Nebraska
Virginia Tech
North Carolina

Baylen Buchanan - Composite 3*

Oklahoma
Ohio State
Georgia
Wisconsin
Iowa

Latrell Williams - Composite 3*

Miami
Virginia Tech
Indiana
South Florida
East Carolina

Nathan Niehaus - Composite 3*

Louisville
Cincinnati
Illinois
West Virginia
Bowling Green

Marquill Osborne - Composite 4*

Clemson
Ohio State
LSU
Michigan
Florida

Alexis Johnson - Composite 4*

Alabama
Florida State
Baylor
Auburn
Arizona

Jeff George - Composite 3*

Mississippi State
Arizona State
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Southern Miss

DJ Henderson - Composite 3*

Colorado State
Utah State
UAB
North Texas

Reactions: 24 people
I don't really pay much attention to offers anymore. Like UT, most schools offers are meaningless. An offer doesn't mean they will take you. It really means we are evaluating you. An offer isn't what it use to be.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't really pay much attention to offers anymore. Like UT, most schools offers are meaningless. An offer doesn't mean they will take you. It really means we are evaluating you. An offer isn't what it use to be.

I highly disagree. Alabama isn't offering someone a scholarship unless they see that player potentially being on their team. I nearly value offers as much as stars.

Reactions: 5 people
Sometimes the offer means something, sometimes it doesn't. For example, UGA offered CFA but didn't give him the time of day when he visited.

Thank you for putting this together OP. It's very eye opening seeing a list like this. It shows me that TN is winning a lot of the recruiting battles for some big time players. Ignore the haters. Good job man. GBO :good!:

Reactions: 3 people

It means more than "we're evaluating you". Yanking offers happens, but no that much.

Reactions: 2 people
It means more than "we're evaluating you". Yanking offers happens, but no that much.

Not really. Tennessee extended over 300 offers to fill 21 spots. In state they extended 24 offers and took 3 of those guys.

The day the offer is made I'd guess probably around 90% of them are noncommittable. So what does that offer mean if you aren't a take? Not much. Its not only UT. A lot of schools did it. It's just increased substantially the last 10 years or so. Some schools do still value what an offer use to mean. Some schools take their 25 while extending less than 75-100 offers. If a kid accepts the offer when made, he's in that class. It's rare, but some do.

You changed your name, but you could have come back with a new attitude.

Reactions: 5 people

That would be true if a recruit were showing offers from Utah State, Weber State, and then Alabama thrown in there as listing an "offer" but not when you have virtually every other major school as having offered then he is not being "evaluated" as you suggest.

And yes dozens of offers are extended because you have to recruit to your needs and fill positions. No school lands every recruit they target, not even Alabama so you have to have fall back options. It's simple math. If you land 25% of the guys you target then you have extend upwards of 100 offers to get the guys you need. That does not mean they just extend offers to everyone with a pulse like you suggest.

Many recruits are evaluated for several years before an offer is made, it's not as if they are just beginning the evaluating process at the time of the offer and use the offer as a means to get more time to evaluate a recruit.

That would be true if a recruit were showing offers from Utah State, Weber State, and then Alabama thrown in there as listing an "offer" but not when you have virtually every other major school as having offered then he is not being "evaluated" as you suggest.

Very few offers are truly committable the day they are made coming from UT. In fact with Butch taking commitments then dropping them later on, maybe there should be even fewer. Yeah it happened to Hary, Okonya, and Marshall. Guys like Victor and Dickerson had offers early as well. After being evaluated, they were not takes. All while having great offer lists.

Very few offers are truly committable the day they are made coming from UT. In fact with Butch taking commitments then dropping them later on, maybe there should be even fewer. Yeah it happened to Hary, Okonya, and Marshall. Guys like Victor and Dickerson had offers early as well. After being evaluated, they were not takes. All while having great offer lists.

You do realize that there are over a dozen schools in the SEC alone who recruit roughly the same or similar groups of players? That means during any given recruiting cycle in the SEC nearly 300 players are signed. Of course the SEC isn't going to win them all, therefore thousands of guys will receive offers. You are making this way too complicated.

Reactions: 1 person
The same can be applied to an athlete's commitment

Nor is a commitment

I'd be very much in favor of Butch telling recruits do not commit unless you're shutting it down. No more trips, no more OVs. In turn Butch would have to GUARANTEE the kids spot. To me, you then have a commitment. Some schools do still do things this way. When the coach time and time again drops commitments, selling a recruit on the idea of commitment kind of goes out the window.

In a sense, I agree. But the top schools are not going to waste their time offering someone they aren't sure will help them - and most of the time - help them immediately. Also, "offers" from other schools can be used by opposing/competing schools to dissuade potential recruits from gaining interest in the offering school. You have a point, but the knife does cut both ways and the coaches know it. For this reason, I'm tempted to place more emphasis on offer lists.

Bold prediction: Baylen Buchanan is Cam Sutton 2.0 - both from GA, similar measurables, and also a pretty good offer list and a 3*. I think he redshirts a year and then becomes a star for us.

You do realize that there are over a dozen schools in the SEC alone who recruit roughly the same or similar groups of players? That means during any given recruiting cycle in the SEC nearly 300 players are signed. Of course the SEC isn't going to win them all, therefore thousands of guys will receive offers. You are making this way too complicated.

I'm not making it complicated at all. I'm just saying an offer doesn't mean much now a day's for most kids getting them. I mean it's cool they can claim one on Twitter, but if you can't commit, how is it any different than a kid who didn't get one? Would all 24 kids from TN been able to commit the day they received those offers? Of course not. Most were meaningless. Its not complicated at all. Its simple actually.

Get offer.
Can I commit?
No or not yet.
Worthless.

Simple.

I'd be very much in favor of Butch telling recruits do not commit unless you're shutting it down. No more trips, no more OVs. In turn Butch would have to GUARANTEE the kids spot. To me, you then have a commitment. Some schools do still do things this way. When the coach time and time again drops commitments, selling a recruit on the idea of commitment kind of goes out the window.

You refer to Jones as if this is an isolated issue. I am confident that most, if not all 127 FBS programs and certainly all P 5 programs operate in this manner and recruits are far from innocent, with a good percentage of those highly regarded just as culpable

You refer to Jones as if this is an isolated issue. I am confident that most, if not all 127 FBS programs and certainly all P 5 programs operate in this manner and recruits are far from innocent, with a good percentage of those highly regarded just as culpable

I know other schools do it. That doesn't mean I have to be ok with it. I can still have an opinion against the practice. There are some schools who still look at a commitment as such, both coach and player. Its rare, but still some who do. IMO that sort of change in recruiting has to be started by the coach. The recruits can't do it. Especially if the coach has proven to drop commitments in every class.

Could Butch go to something like that and make it work? I think so. Think about it. It's as simple as him not taking Hart, Okonya, and Marshall early. All three considered borderline SEC talent the day they were taken. Had Butch just waited on those 3, what I'd like to see recruiting wise is met. No negative articles. No recruits talking to USA today. Other schools not pointing out how Butch did it again to another kid.

2017 class has no commitments. Butch has a fresh slate. I'd like to see him be sure before taking a commitment then seeing those he takes through. When Butch shows he'll stick with his promise, so will those kids. As I've said. I'd set a no visit after committing rule. If a kid decides to take one, he's gone. If you have set rules and have followed through, there will be no negative backlash. Recruits would respect the process more imo.

Last edited:
Can't believe I'm agreeing with Crunchy... but those offers don't mean jack for a majority of the players.

Is this based on protecting the true meaning on "offer". Or is this based on signing the actual 25 best players for your program? If it's the former, then that's not Butch's job. If the reason is the latter, then it's worth discussion.

The word "Offer" alone does not require an interpretation as "Commit now and you have a scholly to UT". It has come to mean an "Offer" to work toward an agreement to sign a scholly.

This concept is exactly the same in the business world. Where contracts are signed for both parties. One offers a prod/svc while the other agrees to pay for it. Many times the contract is "broken" before completion. That doesn't mean that the one "breaking" it has committed a moral wrong. It just means that they will be legally bound to the consequences of that decision. The same contract that says XY&Z for this much $$$, ALSO includes failure to perform clauses with results and punishments when / if either party decides to break the original intent of said contract.

In essence, there's a whole lotta grey before the ink dries on the NSD fax when it comes to "offer" and "commit".

Is this based on protecting the true meaning on "offer". Or is this based on signing the actual 25 best players for your program? If it's the former, then that's not Butch's job. If the reason is the latter, then it's worth discussion.

The word "Offer" alone does not require an interpretation as "Commit now and you have a scholly to UT". It has come to mean an "Offer" to work toward an agreement to sign a scholly.

This concept is exactly the same in the business world. Where contracts are signed for both parties. One offers a prod/svc while the other agrees to pay for it. Many times the contract is "broken" before completion. That doesn't mean that the one "breaking" it has committed a moral wrong. It just means that they will be legally bound to the consequences of that decision. The same contract that says XY&Z for this much $$$, ALSO includes failure to perform clauses with results and punishments when / if either party decides to break the original intent of said contract.

In essence, there's a whole lotta grey before the ink dries on the NSD fax when it comes to "offer" and "commit".

I can handle the offers. I get that if Butch didn't put out the early offers then we would be playing from behind as other schools aren't going to follow suit without being forced to. Of course that doesn't change my stance on almost all those offers being worthless. The only thing that will eliminate the negative pushback stuff we see yearly when we cut a commitment loose after they have committed is stop doing it. If they are a borderline talent, have grade issues, if they haven't been on campus, if they still want to take visits and enjoy the process, that's fine. Just don't take their commitment in June or July. Wait. Evaluate. Make sure when you give that kid the green light to commit, you will honor it. Kids will learn. They will know if you pick UT, make sure you're done with recruiting. If you decide to take a visit in Dec, Butch will replace you. I don't think it would end up being bad for our signing classes at all.

We're not far off imo. Butch told Buchanan not to make that late trip. If Butch was not dumping commitments, I'd feel a lot better about Butch and the Buchanan move. Our 17 commitments were solid and not taking OVs. Imo, what we want. Now Butch needs to do away with taking kids then dumping them.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back