anyone remember Josh Swords

wmcovol

a 5* OL from Brentwood Academy in the early 90s. Josh was All-Everything and Fulmer basically passed on him. Stallings at bama committed him early and everyone in the media talked about how bama took a 5* OL from Tennessee.

Facts are I saw him play in HS and wasn't impressed at all. Wasn't quick by any stretch and wasn't aggressive. End of the story is he never saw the field at bama. I don't know if he ever played a meaningful down there.

Morale of the story: Trust your coaches. More often than not, they are right.

Reactions: 1 person
a 5* OL from Brentwood Academy in the early 90s. Josh was All-Everything and Fulmer basically passed on him. Stallings at bama committed him early and everyone in the media talked about how bama took a 5* OL from Tennessee.

Facts are I saw him play in HS and wasn't impressed at all. Wasn't quick by any stretch and wasn't aggressive. End of the story is he never saw the field at bama. I don't know if he ever played a meaningful down there.

Yep I remember that. GBO!

It's 20 years later...hs kids go to so many camps and recruiting is kept up with much more. The sites are correct more often than not. I guess except in the cases of Robert Hubbs and Dontavius Blair.

Reactions: 1 person
It's 20 years later...hs kids go to so many camps and recruiting is kept up with much more. The sites are correct more often than not. I guess except in the cases of Robert Hubbs and Dontavius Blair.

Sometimes the kids are just busts, but I'd argue that more times than not they're just not in good situations. If Blair was in more of a pro-style offense he'd probably see the field more, just not quick enough for this one. Sometimes a 5* struggles at one school then transfers to another and becomes a draftable player like Jeff Driskel.

Bubba played at Tennessee from 92-95, I believe. 97 was about the time Swords came out.

Swords graduated BA in '94. Bubba was also a BA guy, though I'm not sure when he graduated. '91 perhaps?

Yes, I saw Bubba play for Brentwood Academy. There was another super player on that team. Bad memory, but I think his last name was Miller. Corey Miller maybe? He ended up going to Belmont on a basketball scholarship while Bubba played football for Vols.

I do not remember Josh Swords.

Yes, I saw Bubba play for Brentwood Academy. There was another super player on that team. Bad memory, but I think his last name was Miller. Corey Miller maybe? He ended up going to Belmont on a basketball scholarship while Bubba played football for Vols.

I do not remember Josh Swords.

Al Allen

Yes...Al Allen! Sounds like Miller, right? Lol...

Allen was taller than Bubba. When together on defense, they could dominate a game. As I remember, Al had some injury problems his senior year and that factored into his choice of basketball as his college sport.

Is that story somewhat accurate?

Was this really an attempt at a point? Fulmer also signed plenty of guys that did nothing.

I do remember and I also remember a lot of local angst in the late 90's over Fulmer's decision to basically ignore LB Eric Brackins of Gatlinburg-Pittman (signed with and was a 2 year starter for Michigan) and OL Josh Kerr of Anderson County (signed with Georgia but I don't think he played much if at all). Fulmer did not allow proximity to influence his evaluations. He used to pass on a lot of local kids but most of the time, he was right to do so (see also WR Mike Gipson Oak Ridge who signed with Florida and flunked out).

Yes...Al Allen! Sounds like Miller, right? Lol...

Allen was taller than Bubba. When together on defense, they could dominate a game. As I remember, Al had some injury problems his senior year and that factored into his choice of basketball as his college sport.

Is that story somewhat accurate?

Not sure honestly. They were both gone by the time I started school there. Swords was a senior my freshman year.

I do remember and I also remember a lot of local angst in the late 90's over Fulmer's decision to basically ignore LB Eric Brackins of Gatlinburg-Pittman (signed with and was a 2 year starter for Michigan) and OL Josh Kerr of Anderson County (signed with Georgia but I don't think he played much if at all). Fulmer did not allow proximity to influence his evaluations. He used to pass on a lot of local kids but most of the time, he was right to do so (see also WR Mike Gipson Oak Ridge who signed with Florida and flunked out).

As I recall, Phil couldn't picture a position for Randall Cobb. It happens sometimes.

46782873.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Josh is a good kid. He was young while I was at BA. Great family and no need to bash.

Does anyone remember the name of the DL from BA who went to Texas? It was in the 90's. I think.

Does anyone remember the name of the DL from BA who went to Texas? It was in the 90's. I think.

I think they had a OL (he probably also played DL) named Richard Land who I recall went to Texas. We played them junior/senior year (he was my age). He was very tall (maybe 6'7"), but I wasn't that impressed with him.

Randall Cobb. Patrick Willis. Willis literally cried when UT didn't offer.

VN Store

Back