Position NEEDS for Next Year?

armchair

I think two are pretty obvious:

1) Vols need a stud RB. Truth be told, we probably should have signed one this year, as Hurd is gone after 2016 and we have nobody to fill his shoes. I like Fils-Aimee but he seems more like Kamara (which is a good thing) but we need a blue chip every down back. Priority number one.

2) Need to sign a couple of good defensive tackles next year. Missed this year except for the Juco guy--did I mess another DT?---and this is another priority position.

3) Big-time outside LB--maybe two. I see we are in on Foster out of NC. He would be a great start.

4) A pair of good guards. Did not sign any guards this year, unless one of the tackle prospects moves inside. Need interior offensive linemen next year.

5) Pass rushing DE: Need a good one every year!

Reactions: 1 person

1) Vols need a stud RB. Truth be told, we probably should have signed one this year, as Hurd is gone after 2016 and we have nobody to fill his shoes. I like Fils-Aimee but he seems more like Kamara (which is a good thing) but we need a blue chip every down back. Priority number one.

2) Need to sign a couple of good defensive tackles next year. Missed this year except for the Juco guy--did I mess another DT?---and this is another priority position.

3) Big-time outside LB--maybe two. I see we are in on Foster out of NC. He would be a great start.

4) A pair of good guards. Did not sign any guards this year, unless one of the tackle prospects moves inside. Need interior offensive linemen next year.

4 stars, preferably 5 though

DT's will be the biggest need in 2017 considering we missed out on Brown and Daniels.

Reactions: 2 people
RBs 2 0r 3
LBs 3 or 4
DL 4 or 5
OL 3 or 4
WRs 3 or 4
DBs 3 or 4
QBs 1 or 2

Kicker. Medley drove me to drinking last year. Hope he gets his yips cleared up.

There's no guarantee Hurd will be leaving. Who knows, he may love UT so much he decides to stay for his senior year. We saw Cam and JRM do it. I do think Kamara is gone since he was already considering this year. We still have Kelly, Young, and now Carlin. I think even if we miss out on a big time RB and just get a quality one we should still be in good shape. Nice to have a backup plan just in case Hurd does leave though.

Not getting SEC level tackles in every class was a big part of Fulmer's undoing although one obvious improvement is that we're not taking nearly as many tweener athletes as we seemed to be taking back then. I still don't understand how they expected to win with a team full of natural full backs, inside linebackers and tight ends.

RBs 2 0r 3
LBs 3 or 4
DL 4 or 5
OL 3 or 4
WRs 3 or 4
DBs 3 or 4
QBs 1 or 2

RB - 2
DT - 4 w/1 JUCO 3yr eligible if possible
DE - at least 1
OG - 2,3 if one can do center
OT - 2
QB - at least 1
WR - 3?
LB - at least 1 of each position
DB - 2 corner 2 safety
Kicker & punter makes 23

1 QB
2 RB
1 TE
3 DT
2 DE
2 WR
3 LB
2 S
3 CB
1 PK
1 P
4 OL

Assuming they have around 25 spots for 2017.

This season is HUGE in the recruiting battle. I believe if UT can get to 9-10 regular season wins, they could finish in the top 10 with next years class.

If this year has unfortunate outcomes, it could easily go the other way....

BIG SEASON FOR BUTCH AND COMPANY!

Last edited:

Safety- We lost 2 and signed one. Maybe one of the CB we brought in might move to safety, but bringing one or two in with experience, JUCO or HS, might be on the list.

There's no guarantee Hurd will be leaving. Who knows, he may love UT so much he decides to stay for his senior year. We saw Cam and JRM do it. I do think Kamara is gone since he was already considering this year. We still have Kelly, Young, and now Carlin. I think even if we miss out on a big time RB and just get a quality one we should still be in good shape. Nice to have a backup plan just in case Hurd does leave though.

Lets be sober about this. Cam & JRM & Kamara remained at U.T. because their draft projection was not as good as they had hoped. They did not remain here because of their love for U.T. So, my guess is that if Hurd gets a good projection in the draft, then he will leave. Doudt he stays here for the love of U.T.

DT's will be the biggest need in 2017 considering we missed out on Brown and Daniels.

We will have more DTs than RBs going into 2017. We need at least 3 big-fast RBs in addition to the 3 DTs. We always need Lbs and need one QB. We can solve the RB position in State and the DT position in VA. Happy hunting for the VOLS.

Next years class will be smaller than this one's. I counted (15) seniors in this class.

LaTroy Lewis, Croom, JRM, Devin Williams, Joye Rochell, Joe Stocstill, Vereen, Bynum, Wiesman, Blanc, Floger, O Brien, Blair, Sutton & Dobbs.
Of course, Kamara & Barnett could leave early for the NFL. Thus making it (17) slots to fill.

Good list, spot on. Will say that I don't think we should ever target highschool guards. We should (and you kinda mentioned this) always recruit athletic tackles, let them compete, leave the best at tackle and slide the others inside....that way, you have a stable of versatile, athletic OLs. Jmo.

Next years class will be smaller than this one's. I counted (15) seniors in this class.

LaTroy Lewis, Croom, JRM, Devin Williams, Joye Rochell, Joe Stocstill, Vereen, Bynum, Wiesman, Blanc, Floger, O Brien, Blair, Sutton & Dobbs.
Of course, Kamara & Barnett could leave early for the NFL. Thus making it (17) slots to fill.

There is always attrition: injuries and transfers, primarily. I won't say that we will get 25, but I will say the 2017 class will have at least as many as this one, and likely more.

1 QB
2 RB
1 TE
3 DT
2 DE
2 WR
3 LB
2 S
3 CB
1 PK
1 P
4 OL

Asumming they have around 25 spots for 2017.

This season is HUGE in the recruiting battle. I believe is UT can get to 9-10 regular season wins, they could finish in the top 10 with next years class.

If this year has u fortuante outcomes, it could easily go the other way....

BIG SEASON FOR BUTCH AND COMPANY!

10-11 wins and top 5 finish.

10-11 wins and top 5 finish.

I usually chalk Alabama & Florida as automatic losses for us each season; however, with Florida NOT having a super recruiting class this year, we may be able to sneak out a 1 point win this season.
So, I see us losing to Alabama once in the regular season but beating them in the S.E.C. Championship game.

The Florida game is the key to next season. Win that game and we will end the regular season at 11 -1 and head to S.E.C Championship game.
Lose the Florida game and we will need help from other S.E.C. teams in order to get to S.E.C.Championship game. Also, should we lose to Florida & Alabama, we will not get in to the play offs with two losses.
Beat Florida & split with Alabama, then we will have one lose and will get in the play offs.

Williams, Rochell, Stocstill, and Folger are not on scholarship. So we only have 11 seniors graduating with 3-4 possible for the NFL draft.

Assuming 25 is the number I'd go something close to:

HS
QB: 1
RB: 2
OL: 4
WR: 2
TE: 1

DE: 2
DT: 3
LB: 3
CB: 2
S: 1

ATH/BPA/K: 2

JUCO
BPA: 2 (maybe look for a TE, RB, DE, LB)

BPA obviously meanings best player available. We shouldn't need a kicker or punter as both our starters are juniors, and we have a scholarship backup at P. Maybe take a kicker and redshirt behind Medley. I think this year you get really picky on WRs and DBs, we stock up on some DL. I think people are underrating needing DEs. Lewis and Vereen will be graduating after next year and Kongbo and Barnett will be draft eligible. Obviously just a projection, but I'm assuming it will be close to this. Like everyone is saying win and we get a top 5 class. Simple

VN Store

Back