'19 TN ATH Jashon Watkins

BigVol80

Fulmer for Life
4_4213991.JPG

Nashville, TN (East Nashville Magnet School)
Athlete
Ht 6-4
Wt 185

Hudl

Rivals

Tennessee Offered

Reactions: 1 person
“i was happy. I was really excited,” said watkins, who’s expected to be one of the top prospects from the state of tennessee in the 2019 class. “i kind of knew it was coming, but i just didn’t know when. I thought it was going to come in the spring.

“i think more will come.”

the 6-foot-4, 185-pound watkins never has been to tennessee’s campus, but he said it’s “a school i like,” and he’s now hoping to travel to knoxville this summer to attend one of the vols’ camps.

“that’s a school i like. I like ut,” he said.

“we’ll be going up there this summer. I like their program. They’re very young. They’re in the rebuilding process, so that’s what i like about ut.”

“i think i might be playing safety or corner. That’s what i’d like to play. I like hitting and intercepting the ball,” he said.

Why is there not more talk about this kid? I know he committed to Florida a few months back and then decommitted. Anyone know where his recruitment is right now? Are we still in the picture?

IMO this kid is a must have. He reminds me a lot of Jauan Jennings.

Why is there not more talk about this kid? I know he committed to Florida a few months back and then decommitted. Anyone know where his recruitment is right now? Are we still in the picture?

Don't think he committed to Florida, but they appear to be his favorite.

No where near the Jujuan Jennings mold. That's a once in a lifetime type of guy

From what I've heard I don't think he's one of those guys that is much of a priority for UT at this point. And I'm with de1conley. He's nowhere close to being a JJ level talent.

No where near the Jujuan Jennings mold. That's a once in a lifetime type of guy

Whoa, whoa, whoa...once in a lifetime? Jauan Jennings??? Really? I mean, he's good, but he isn't even a once a year type guy, let alone once in a lifetime. Come on man.

Jujuan Jennings isn't even the best Vol WR this decade. In fact he's like third or fourth this decade.

According to this article Watkins hears regularly from Pruitt
Jashon Watkins Interview – Vol Recruiting Reports

Would really love to see us pull about 10-12 of these core guys in state and then go steal talent from the rest of the states around us.

The above links to an article on a white background with light gray text. Not the easiest to read. Decent article though. Here are some noteworthy tidbits:

Jashon Watkins of East Nashville Magnet is one of the most versatile athletes in the land. He stands at 6’3″ and 195 pounds. His frame accompanied with his speed and agility gives him multiple options of where he can play at the college level.

It does not matter to Watkins however as he states, “I do not have a preference.I would just like to get on the field, whether it’s at corner, safety or wide receiver. I just want to get on the field as soon as possible.” Watkins will likely have this opportunity wherever he lands with the skill set that he brings to the table.

“I’m hearing from a lot from Coach Pruitt, we talk a lot. We just talk about what I can bring to the program and I hear from Vince Lewis (Offensive Assistant) also, we talk almost every day.”

“Coach Pruitt said as soon as I can come I can play on either side of the ball.” The versatile athlete as we have stated previous is willing to play wherever the opportunity is available.There is not much more that a coach can ask for of an athlete as talented Watkins is, to be willing to play wherever the team needs them the most.

In order for Tennessee to land this unselfish athlete they will have their work cut out for them as, Watkins tells us he’s receiving the most love from, “Oklahoma, Florida,Memphis, Missouri, and Alabama just popped up in the picture.”

hmm i'm not sure why it is appearing like that. mine comes up on those guys usual sight. strange.

Watkins, a four-star junior athlete from East Nashville (Tenn.) Magnet High School, returned to Tennessee on Saturday night for the first time since October 2016 for a brief visit with the Vols at the end of their junior day, and they’re now “pretty up there” on his list of college choices.

“It was great, honestly,” said Watkins, who’s ranked the No. 263 overall prospect and No. 20 athlete in the 247Sports Composite for the 2019 class. “I got to talk with most of the coaches. They love me, and they treated me like I was their own.

Watkins said new Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt’s staff reached out to him “as soon as the staff came in,” and his involvement with the Vols picked up “about a month” ago.

“Honestly, I spent the most time with Coach Pruitt as soon as I got there,” Watkins said. “I got there pretty late because I had a tournament, so as soon as I got up there, Coach Pruitt said, ‘I want Jashon up in my office so we can talk.’ I talked with him about 15 or 20 minutes. I talked with the (cornerbacks) coach, coach (Terry) Fair. I really talked with most of the coaches. They wanted me to get back on campus as soon as possible, and also just stay in contact.”

“I honestly believe they can turn things around,” Watkins said. “They showed me lots of love. As soon as I got there, they were saying, ‘Hey, Jashon’s here,’ and all the coaches came up to give me a welcoming handshake. This new staff has really come close to me, so they’re pretty up there.”

Supposed to visit again during the spring to see a practice. No real time table on a decision.

Reactions: 5 people
Coach Jeremy Pruitt has done a good job of impressing prospects when they get on campus. Last weekend was generally a positive junior day for the staff. In-state athlete Jashon Watkins noticed the difference between Pruitt’s staff and Butch Jones’ staff.

“It’s a different atmosphere,” Watkins told SEC Country. “I really have a connection with these coaches. Last year, I had an alright connection. These coaches are recruiting me more, they are really interested in me more than the last coaches.”

This was Watkins’ first trip to Knoxville with Pruitt in charge. He came to campus from Nashville, Tenn., two or three times in the past year to visit with Jones’ staff.

The trip was good enough for Watkins to think about taking another trip back, although nothing is set.

“It was great,” Watkins said. “I got to meet with some of the coaches and talk with them. Overall, it was great.

“The attention the coaches gave me [was the best part].”

“The DB coach and the offensive coach are fighting over me right now,” Watkins said. “They really don’t know. It’s up for grabs if I go there.”

Watkins feels he plays both positions well. If he comes to Tennessee, he has the size and athleticism Pruitt values.

“Score and lock people up,” Watkins said. “[I’m effective] with my size, length and speed.”

Watkins hears from the Tennessee staff regularly, and that might be what separates the Vols from other suitors.

“Coaches taking time out of their day to really recruit me,” Watkins said of what would be a deciding factor in his recruitment. “And if I really enjoy the school. What I can offer the program and the school.”

The previous coaching staff had success with some in-state prospects by inspiring them to play for their in-state school. This idea is not lost on Watkins, although it likely won’t be the ultimate determinant.

“I would take pride in playing in-state because it’s where I’m from,” Watkins said. “I would like to put on for my state.”

A decision likely won’t be coming any time soon, but Watkins wants to narrow his list in the coming months.

“Probably going into senior year,” Watkins said. “I want to narrow down the list to a few schools to focus on and worry about the season.”

— SEC Country

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back