Project how this class finishes

Fingers

It's been a slow recruiting year, but how do you think Tennessee closes out this class (players/position) and where do you think it will end up ranked nationally?

I don't see how the numbers thing really factors in. I am pretty sure rivals only counts the top 20 in their rankings, not sure about the others. Most people think we'll sign at least 20.

15-20

Low numbers and we don't have very much momentum this year with kids. Not a lot of the peer recruiting in this class. There is a ways to go but unfortunately this season has provided more questions than answers.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not buying the doom and gloom. I think we'll finish strong on the field and in recruiting. Butch closed last year with Phillips and Richmond (guys no one thought we were getting in December).

We'll probably see a couple of current commits replaced with bigger names between now and Feb. We'll also see some of our current commits get bumped up in the rankings, and we'll likely have a chance to benefit from the fallout and chaos of the coaching carousel, which promises to be unparalleled this year.

Right now I'd guess we'll end up in the 10-15 range nationally and may sneak into the top 10 overall. But I'd be willing to bet we'll be top 10 when you look at 247's average composite star ranking, which takes the number of signees out of the equation and gives a good indication of how the talent we've signed is perceived to stack up against the competition.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm going with GFW. We should have a signing day surprise or two. 10-12 sounds about right. Sign 22.

Reactions: 2 people
Playing with the 247 class calculator, I added the following

Kongbo DE
Dickerson OL
Velus Jones WR
Jordan Woods DE
Warrior DB
Callaway ATH
J Williams DB

That puts us at 22 total (removed T.Marshall and C.Henderson just to make #'s closer to 20 in this example) with 254 points and assumes no recruits will receive a bump. I expect some will ex, Christmas-Giles, Fils-Aime etc

254 would currently be good for 4th and would have been 14th in 2015. Depending on some of the bumps current recruits receive I could see us coming in around 12th to 15th with an outside shot at the top 10 at least on 247.

Edit: IMO, top 5 would take landing some combo including Derrick Brown, the Simmons kid, Mecole/Davis and maybe one of Corely/McKinley/Overton at WR

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
20 has been the number most often discussed. I believe we get the typical minor roster changes with the final number being around 22. I think at least 2 OL (Dickerson and Tatum), 1 CB (Williams), 1 S (Warrior), and 1-2 DEs (Kongbo and ?). I'm still concerned about WR. The 2015 class is hopefully the last driven by critical holes in depth. 2017 should be the normal balanced class.

Last edited:
I am not really worried about where we finish numbers wise. Top 15 is fine with me as long as we fill the "Needs" this team has. We need OL, LB, & Receivers that can get open.

Reactions: 3 people
With all the coaching changes, I think we poach three or four 4* or better players committed to other schools.

Also Georgia has a very strong class right now and if they lose another to GTECH, then Richt starts to lose some talent too. Plus the turnover of his coaches who are prime recruiters will mean more disruption. Wheels are coming off the Gus Bus too!

So we can make a late surge for that Georgia talent.

Reactions: 1 person
It's been a slow recruiting year, but how do you think Tennessee closes out this class (players/position) and where do you think it will end up ranked nationally?

We won't finish as high as we have recently. The past few years, the staff could sell "Immediate Playing Time" to the recruits. Now, most of the positions are already filled with starters.
What 5* or 4* wants to come to U.T. and sit behind Todd Kelly or Josh Malone?????????

The way it looks right now around 15th, most of these don't have to come in and play like the last few years maybe we can red shirt 12 to 14 of them, but we do need to add another top 5 class in 17, the 17 class looks like it could be better than the 15 class if that happens then we are back for a while this is why we have to win these last 3 games and go 10 and 2 in 16 if that happens our 17 class will be special.

20 has been the number most often discussed. I believe we get the typical minor roster changes with the final number being around 22. I think at least 2 OL (Dickerson and Tatum), 1 CB (Williams), 1 S (Warrior), and 1-2 DEs (Kongbo and ?). I'm still concerned about WR. The 2015 class is hopefully the last driven by critical holes in depth. 2017 should be the normal balanced class.

I wish we could get a top RB that could run behind our OL in 17, the OL in 17 will be one of the best in the SEC.

I'll take a stab:

QB

Jarrett Guarantano

RB

Carlin Fils-aime

WR

Jeff George
Corey Henderson
Brandon Johnson

TE

Austin Pope

OL

Ryan Johnson
Landon Dickerson

DL

Devante Brooks
Chidi Okonya
Mykelle McDaniel
Alexis Johnson

LB

Tim Hart
Daniel Bituli
Ja'Quain Blakely

DB

Marquill Osborne
DJ Henderson
Joejuan Williams

ATH

TaDarryl Marshall

I'll take a stab:

QB

Jarrett Guarantano

RB

Carlin Fils-aime

WR

Jeff George
Corey Henderson
Brandon Johnson

TE

Austin Pope

OL

Ryan Johnson
Landon Dickerson

DL

Devante Brooks
Chidi Okonya
Mykelle McDaniel
Alexis Johnson

LB

Tim Hart
Daniel Bituli
Ja'Quain Blakely

DB

Marquill Osborne
DJ Henderson
Joejuan Williams

ATH

TaDarryl Marshall

I think we take a few more than 19. Maybe another WR, OL, and DL

Top 15 IMO. We will not make it into the top ten this year in recruiting. I do feel really good though about some of our underrated kids. Should take 20 to 21 commitments.

I think we'll take 21. Zach Stewart will probably count towards this class as a grayshirt. Maybe 1 blueshirt to get it above that 20 number.

17 current commits, probably lose a couple of those and sign 5 or 6 more, IMO.

I'd say right around 15th is probably right. Optimistic we can close with some studs-

Landon Dickerson
Marcus Tatum
Nigel Warrior
Velus Jones
Derrick Brown
Jonathan Kongbo
Jordan Bonner
Jeffery Simmons
Jamarcus King

Would love to close with a couple of the current "long-shots"-

Mecole Hardman
Kyle Davis
EJ Price
Nigel Knott

I think we'll take 21. Zach Stewart will probably count towards this class as a grayshirt. Maybe 1 blueshirt to get it above that 20 number.

17 current commits, probably lose a couple of those and sign 5 or 6 more, IMO.

I'd say right around 15th is probably right. Optimistic we can close with some studs-

Landon Dickerson
Marcus Tatum
Nigel Warrior
Velus Jones
Derrick Brown
Jonathan Kongbo
Jordan Bonner
Jeffery Simmons
Jamarcus King

Would love to close with a couple of the current "long-shots"-

Mecole Hardman
Kyle Davis
EJ Price
Nigel Knott

Kyle Davis is no longer considering us per Orange Venom.

VN Store

Back