Best high school player/team/game you've ever seen...

illvol

Eternal optimist
I was talking to a friend of mine today and he reminded me of our high school days. One thing that I remember so vividly was a football game I saw in 1992 between the Bettendorf (Iowa) Bulldogs and the Iowa City (Iowa) Little Hawks. Tavian Banks was the all everything running back/kick & punt returner for Bettendorf and Tim Dwight played the same role for Iowa City, both went on to be standouts at Iowa and have NFL careers. Bettendorf won 31-28 behind Banks' 245 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns while Dwight scored all four touchdowns for Iowa City. It was the most amazing heavyweight type fight I've ever seen.

Which brings me to my question. What's the most impressive game, single player or team you've ever witnessed?

Reactions: 1 person
I watched Cadillac Williams run all over my little brother's team when he was in high school. He gave my bro a concussion that night. Poor bastard hasn't been right since

also Rob Pate disassembled my team in the playoffs. He was a 4 year starter at Safety for Aubarn for those that don't recognize the name

When I was in high school we played Jackson Central Merry in 94, they had a player named Al Wilson and my gosh was he awesome to watch...BTW we got spanked

Reactions: 3 people
I was playing running back in high school and got the hand off to the right and was immediately introduced to Brandon Spikes.

I threw a summer league fastball to Ken Griffey Jr when I was 15 and he proceeded to hit it off the right field wall so hard that it made contact with the wall before I could turn my head to watch it.

Reactions: 5 people
Bw846WRCMAAckxj.jpg:large

If only Coach had put him in.

Reactions: 8 people
I watched Jalen Hurd (Beech High School) vs Jalen Reeves-Maybin (Clarksville Northeast) go back and forth all night long in a state playoff game, that was a classic in 12. Hurd may be the most dominate player Ive seen in HS since I saw Reggie White, (79) ..

Reactions: 4 people
Jason Witten playing for Elizabethton against Greeneville. He was absolutely a man amongst boys. On offense no one could tackle him. On defense Greeneville's QB never had a chance to breathe. He was unreal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I've seen a lot of really good teams in GA. The most dominant was Washington County that have Terrence Edwards and Takeo Spikes. They just crushed people.

I had a chance to go back to the old stomping grounds back in the day and watch "Little Man" play a few games. Dude was a beast.

Watching Riverdale back in the mid 90's with Fernando Bryant, Antron Peebles, Alvin Duke, Gerald Griffin, Eric Locke... all those dudes were studs. Had a pretty good coach then too. Still one of the best games Ive ever watched was Lebanon vs Riverdale in 93. Lebanon won 6-0 I believe it was.

I watched Bobby Boucher completely dominate a game after he showed up at halftime during the Bourbon Bowl. Greatest performance I have ever seen. It was because he didn't hold anything back

Reactions: 15 people
Knox Central vs. Morristown West back in the early 1990s. Todd Helton was QB for Central, and Little Man Stewart was RB for West. It went back-and-forth until the 4th quarter, when Central finally pulled away, 50-26.

Reactions: 3 people
Dont'a Hightower was the best I've ever been on the same field with. I think it was 07, Marshall County @ Jackson South Side. We couldn't stop him. Their offense was simple, toss sweep to Hightower and watch him run.

Also S/O to Jabari Greer! He came back to the school after his Super Bowl win with the Saints. A truly great guy!!

Reactions: 2 people
Best performance would be Little Man Stewart against my old school, Dobyns Bennett in a playoff game.. He wrecked us.. He literally never left the field.. Also saw Witten, man amongst boys.. Todd Collins for Jeff County back in the 80's, he was a beast..

Played against:
DaRick Rogers
Nash Nance
Senorise Perry (4 year starting RB at Louisville)
Vic Beasley(Clemson, top ten draft pick last year)

But the one guy who dropped my jaw the most was Adam Griffith, Kicker, currently at Alabama. Watched him kick 60 yarders like they were extra points

Mikal Smith, Bearden 1993 and 94. He was a beast.Michael Bush for Male HS in Louisville and the game where they played Trinity and Brian Brohm. It was insane.

Best performance would be Little Man Stewart against my old school, Dobyns Bennett in a playoff game.. He wrecked us.. He literally never left the field.. Also saw Witten, man amongst boys.. Todd Collins for Jeff County back in the 80's, he was a beast..

Haha my Oakland team full of nobodys went to Jefferson County and beat the number one team in the nation.

Corey Fleming at Stratford with Joe Campbell was the toughest duo we faced.

Dwayne Dotson (Hendersonville) was probably the best player I remember playing against.

JJ was fun to watch for 2 years.

I'm telling y'all right now, Jacoby Stevens is one if the best HS players I've ever seen.

Watched Southwest Dekalb 1995 state championship run. The QB was Quincy Carter and they lost one game. To Douglas High and a running back named Jamal Lewis.

Wish I could have seen the matchup between Creekside and Westlake High. The QB's were Eric Berry and Cam Newton

I watched Corey Clement score 6 rushing td's in the first half against the high school I went to. They ending up winning 59 - 0. Dude is a beast, he didn't even play the 2nd half. Obviously it wasn't the best game I've ever seen but watching him run was cool.

Saw Maplewood High play in the Clinic Bowl in 1976 with E.J. Junior and Preston Brown who both went to the NFL. E.J. was a man amongst boys that year.

VN Store

Back