Recruiting concerns?

MDBJJC

Recruiting is fun
I strongly believe that we have to recruit well into the top 10 every single year to compete. We have a smaller class to fill this year but that means we should be choosier so to speak. It doesn't look like we are getting a ton of the studs right now at our most needed positions.

I'm hoping for a strong close out and that we finish 7 or 8. Need some more fours and fives. Yes stars do matter

Reactions: 2 people
I strongly believe that we have to recruit well into the top 10 every single year to compete. We have a smaller class to fill this year but that means we should be choosier so to speak. It doesn't look like we are getting a ton of the studs right now at our most needed positions.

I'm hoping for a strong close out and that we finish 7 or 8. Need some more fours and fives. Yes stars do matter

Two things.

1. Its November

2. Butch has his shortcomings as a coach. However, recruiting isnt one of them.

Reactions: 5 people
One thing:

1) Best recruiting advantage for Butch and staff right now is focusing on winning out with perhaps a bowl win. Reach 8/9 wins this year and they are selling where the program is headed. This should be their main and only concern right now. WIN THESE REMAINING GAMES!!!!

Reactions: 16 people
We'll end up with a good class. Probably in the 9 - 14 range. Remember that we can't take as many this year because of numbers so that will affect the rankings quite a bit. Just look at our star average on NSD and if it's about 3.5 then we are good to go.

Reactions: 1 person
There are several 4/5 star guys looking at us right now. It's only November. A great finish to the season and a good bowl will help with recruiting. I wouldn't worry about recruiting. Butch has shown an amazing ability to recruit and develop.

Keep in mind, that just because they aren't a 5 star doesn't mean anything. Cam Sutton was only a 3 star.. so trust Butch's ability to recruit. He's one of the best there is.

Reactions: 2 people
The lower rated guys we have committed are talented and underrated. Butch has two great scouters of talent in the "Bob's". I'll never question Butch when it comes to recruiting. He is really good at that but the coaching part is still in the judgement process.

Remember that we can't take as many this year because of numbers

This appears to have been repeated so many times that folks are taking it as fact. While anything can happen, I'll be highly surprised if we don't sign >20 and expect it to be closer to 23-25. There has been attrition each season under CBJ, no reason to think there won't be after the 2015 season. 25 is the max allowable without blue, grey, rainbow shirts.

OP has a valid point. Last 2 years we've had some impressive recruits committed at this point in the cycle. Like the OP, I'm wondering what has changed this recruiting cycle. Based on past results, CBJ deserves the benefit of the doubt, but it's still concerning IMHO, JMO, TIFWIW.

Still need linemen and would be happy with another WR and CB with the injuries we continue to have.

Also, someone help me out - where do Tadarryl Marshall and Corey Henderson project at Tenn? They are both listed as athletes.

Also, someone help me out - where do Tadarryl Marshall and Corey Henderson project at Tenn? They are both listed as athletes.

Corey Henderson is projected WR all the way. The way Marshall is playing his senior year, there will be a circle of life between Willie Martinez and Tee Martin to decide that. :)

Reactions: 3 people
This appears to have been repeated so many times that folks are taking it as fact. While anything can happen, I'll be highly surprised if we don't sign >20 and expect it to be closer to 23-25. There has been attrition each season under CBJ, no reason to think there won't be after the 2015 season. 25 is the max allowable without blue, grey, rainbow shirts.

OP has a valid point. Last 2 years we've had some impressive recruits committed at this point in the cycle. Like the OP, I'm wondering what has changed this recruiting cycle. Based on past results, CBJ deserves the benefit of the doubt, but it's still concerning IMHO, JMO, TIFWIW.

2 things:

1. Several have said 20 is the ceiling because of blue shirts. I know joc Bruce was one, so that may move a little.

2. We got 99 problems, but recruiting ain't one of 'em.

It is only November for LSU, UGA, Bama and OSU too, but they seem to be doing much better.:blink:

Again............

One thing:

1) Best recruiting advantage for Butch and staff right now is focusing on winning out with perhaps a bowl win. Reach 8/9 wins this year and they are selling where the program is headed. This should be their main and only concern right now. WIN THESE REMAINING GAMES!!!!

Alabama is currently ranked 12 on Rivals and Tennessee ranked 19.

I certainly think Alabama should be concerned and should waste NO time firing Saban over this. They should be completely shaking in the knees over where a meaningless internet site has them ranked. They should surely make a knee jerk reaction based off of these pathetic websites opinions................

I would like for the team to get to a point of taking the best players available instead of having to focus on positions of need. Yes, we have recruited well recently, but we still have to fill key holes in our dept'h chart.

BTW, neither TCU nor Baylor have finished in the top 25 in recruiting for any year since 2008 (per rivals.com ratings). I am sure the same holds for both schools even further back than that. These are not the gold standard for football programs, but both have been fairly successful over the past few years. TCU is 7th in total wins in the last 10 years with 100. Alabama, in the same time period won 107 (College football’s winningest teams over the past 10 years: RANKED! | For The Win). Are there differences in the two conferences? Yes, but TCU and Baylor would be very difficult teams for us to play against.

Recruiting is critical in the SEC, but so are recruiting for need and recruiting to play your offensive and defensive systems. As another poster indicated, we just need to keep winning. Butch has done wonders recruiting without the wins to show for it. If we get the wins to back it up, then we will be on the way to championships.

There aren't as many elite recruits in 2016, so the competition is more intense. Furthermore, the elite recruits are taking their time deciding, with some stating they're going to wait until NSD. Nigel Warrior, Derrick Brown, Kyle Davis, Mecole Hardman, and probably a few others, are strongly considering us, but have yet to decide. There are several highly-ranked olinemen who are considering us as well.

Carlin Fils-Aime and Alexis Johnson are expected to get ratings boosts.

In any case, whatever we don't get in 2016, we'll easily make up for it with the 2017 class.

It is good to have a strong recruiting class BUT it is not a death sentence if we don't have one. Boise State does not have strong recruiting classes and they do just fine.
Also, look at years past, when we had strong recruiting classes and notice that a couple of years later, many left the program or were performing well under their potential. That leaves us with just a few that actually performed well and stayed on the team through four years of eligibility.

Yes, you always want a strong recruiting class but not getting one is not the be all end all......

I thought this was a Bball thread...my bad. Wait... this still would apply,right?

There aren't as many elite recruits in 2016, so the competition is more intense. Furthermore, the elite recruits are taking their time deciding, with some stating they're going to wait until NSD. Nigel Warrior, Derrick Brown, Kyle Davis, Mecole Hardman, and probably a few others, are strongly considering us, but have yet to decide. There are several highly-ranked olinemen who are considering us as well.

Carlin Fils-Aime and Alexis Johnson are expected to get ratings boosts.

In any case, whatever we don't get in 2016, we'll easily make up for it with the 2017 class.

Not to mention, that with the turmoil that is going on right now in Athens, that these recruits you have mentioned are possibly waiting to see which coaches are retained at UGA for next season. Fall out in the Georgia coaching staff could mean that all these recruits that list UT and UGA as 1 and 2 could swing the way of the Vols if the person that recruited them at UGA is let go. Also, this is one of the better classes that the state of Georgia has put out in a while, and that is saying something considering how strong that state has become in recruiting. All the problems at Georgia couldn't have come at a worse time for them and many teams including Tennessee could take advantage.

We have JG rated 95.64 composite #1 Dual QB

Daniel Bituli 93 247

Marquill Osborne 92 247

These 3 are elite prospects already committed to TN.

Fills-aime,Ryan Johnson, Okonya,Jeff George, and Brandon Johnson are all rated 4 stars by atleast 1 recruiting service.

That's 8 players already committed that are 4 star recruits, plus JG would have been a 5 star if he played his whole senior year.

Plus being in on some top guys makes this a good start imo.

VN Store

Back