Recruiting Forum: Official Arkansas Pre-Game/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Two teams with high pre-season expectations, currently falling short. Arkansas comes to Tennessee as the Vols next opponent:

Keys to Victory:

1. Fold or Fight: The Vols certainly have the talent to win this game, but will they be there mentally, or will they give up? It's hard to imagine, four games into the season, but the frustration level with the fans is at a fever pitch, and we're not sure how the team is responding behind closed doors. Quite simply, the Vols have to "want" to win this game, or they have no chance. The same can be said for Arkansas, who has dropped 3 of their first 4.

2. Tennessee Rush: On paper, Arkansas has an excellent rush defense, giving up just 93.8 yards per game. However, none of their opponents have had a rush oriented offense, and they have still averaged 3.57 yards per carry. The Vols will obviously rely on the running game, and will probably need to rush for 250+ to win. Personally, I think the Vols can get it done here.

3. Game Management: Coaches, don't do stupid stuff.

4. Dare to Pass: Arkansas is 99th in the nation in pass defense. In 3 losses, the Piggies have given up an average of 279 yards per game. Passing is kind of important in football, and this will likely be a weekly "key to victory" until we actually start to attempt forward passes to wide receivers on a regular basis. Try it... it's fun.

5. Defend for 4: The Tennessee defense has played pretty well this year... until the 4th quarter. It is certainly not the entire picture, but the Vols have given up points in the 4th quarter of Oklahoma and Florida... especially on 4th downs, that would have ended the opponents comeback. Brandon Allen is a very efficient QB. Alex Collins is a great running back, and they have weapons at WR. If the Vols let the Piggies hang around, they have the horses to mount another back breaking comeback. They have to be ready to bring it for 4 quarters.

Prediction: Somewhat of a "do or die" for both teams. It should be very interesting to see how this one plays out, and I think the motivation and team morale of each squad is the biggest key, and completely unknown variable. I think the Vols come to play, and do enough to win.

TN 35
ARK 24

Reactions: 7 people
Really wanted to go to this game. This is my Bama after living there for 5 years. Nothing would make me happier than to stomp Arky!

I wanted to get this out of the way. Going to avoid the negativity for a while and probably post a bit less. Either my post count goes up 10X, trying to convince people to let the season play out, or I drop below the radar and let the storm pass over.

I've decided to let everybody have their fun. :)

Reactions: 4 people
I wanted to get this out of the way. Going to avoid the negativity for a while and probably post a bit less. Either my post count goes up 10X, trying to convince people to let the season play out, or I drop below the radar and let the storm pass over.

I've decided to let everybody have their fun. :)

Coward! :)

Reactions: 1 person
Hate to say it but the hogs win this one. One thing our opponents learned this past week is they can go for it on fourth downs and more that likely get a fresh set of downs. Look for Arky to go for it on several occasions and this will make the difference in the game. Flame away.

UT 35
Ar-Kansas 24

Think we control this one from start to finish. Arkansas is one dimensional and their defense isn't nearly the same caliber as UF's or even OU's. Dobbs will look like a legitimate SEC QB and the WRs will have big days finally.

UT 35
Ar-Kansas 24

Think we control this one from start to finish. Arkansas is one dimensional and their defense isn't nearly the same caliber as UF's or even OU's. Dobbs will look like a legitimate SEC QB and the WRs will have big days finally.

Everybody assumes that the rest of our opponents are better than us suddenly. We are the better team, and I simply hope we don't get into "out coached" moments :)

Everybody assumes that the rest of our opponents are better than us suddenly. We are the better team, and I simply hope we don't get into "out coached" moments :)

Bielema is probably capable of outcoaching Butch, but they don't really have the pieces to do anything. Their run game isn't that big of a strength now and Brandon Allen is mistake-prone.

We are the better team, as we have been all year. I know the coaches don't do well with in-game adjustments, but I do think they are learning and attempting to scheme based on what they have learned.

I think we get to close this one out 45-31, UT.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Arkansas will do like all the teams have done and stack the box and dare us to throw down field. The question is, does ARK have beef up front to stop us? I think they do for sure on the first string. But as we saw against FL, depth is a huge issue for opponents as the three yards and a cloud of dust started wearing down the Gators defense. If you look at our first half offense, our scores came primarily from trick plays. Florida's D was fairly successful against us whereas in the second half those 1 & 2 yard runs became 3 & 4 yard runs. I don't think we can count on trick plays as AR will be ready. Arkansa's defense is a good defense as if you can hold TA&M as AR did you've got to be doing something right.

On the defensive side of the ball, I think AR has much more offense than people give them credit for. They moved the ball between the 20's (typical Chavis fashion) but didn't have much success inside the red zone. The huge question I have here is the health of this defense. Is Cam out? How serious is Barnett's
Knee? What about Williams?

I think we see more of the same from the Vols, live or die on the legs of Dobbs and Hurd (and Daniel's as Butch will try to win field position). I think we see a back and forth down the field moving the ball between the 20's with little scoring type game. Field goals will be at a premium so Medley needs to bring his "A" game.
This game could go either way but right now I've got AR winning in another close one somewhere around 20-17.

Going to be interesting. We will try to open the pass game up... Not ready to make a prediction yet

The piggies are in heat and can't wait to arrive in Knoxville via their pig hauler. First freeze pig slaughter comes early this year with a victory!
Tn 32
Little Piggy 17

Reactions: 2 people
All I know is if we come out and play angry and mean we will win pretty easily.

If we come out and act like our season is over and get frustrated we will lose and the wheels of this season will fly off.

Scary game.

VN Store

Back