Growth of middle Tennessee as PRIME Recruiting Territory for the Big Orange

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
Despite its publication in the Tennessean, which certainly doesn't qualify as a bastion of Big Orange journalism, this article (Butch Jones: Midstate means 'everything' to UT) illustrates how much Butch has prioritized recruiting middle Tennessee and documents the dramatic growth in the quantity and quality of prospects from the midstate. This development makes it imperative that Butch designate our annual game with the Black and Gold as a "search-and-destroy" mission, thereby making it crystal clear that the obvious destination for elite midstate prospects is Knoxville. Being able to annually sign 5-7 SEC-caliber prospects from the midstate is not something that Butch's predecessors have historically been able to rely upon, and it is a luxury that will consistently tilt the recruiting field a bit more in his favor.

Reactions: 10 people
Nashville is getting freaking huge and knoxville is growing as well. It's slowly getting better.

Nashville is getting freaking huge and knoxville is growing as well. It's slowly getting better.

Friend of mine is a property manager here and he said 85 people per day are moving into Nashville. They can't build new apartment complexes fast enough. Also looked at the tn.gov website recently at the projected population growth for TN over the next decade and the state is expected to grow by 1 million, with the majority moving into Davidson, Rutherford, and Williamson counties. If TSSAA will catch up with the times then maybe TN can be a new hot bed for recruiting.

On the news at the beginning of the summer, it is estimated Nashville will be larger than Denver by 2020.

Reactions: 2 people
According to google it already is larger by population.

Really?

Well I have no idea what they were talking about then. They had several people on there discussing the new Sounds stadium downtown and the possibility of MLB in Nashville. That stat was thrown out there because Denver has NFL, NHL, and MLB teams

Really?

Well I have no idea what they were talking about then. They had several people on there discussing the new Sounds stadium downtown and the possibility of MLB in Nashville. That stat was thrown out there because Denver has NFL, NHL, and MLB teams
Don't forget about their NBA team too... The... um... Niners maybe?

According to google it already is larger by population.

I think Nashville is also larger than Atlanta if you just consider urban population. But metro Denver and metro Atlanta are considerably larger than metro Nashville at this point, both probably by at least 1m. But metro Nashville, which includes M'boro, Franklin, etc., is likely growing at a much faster rate right now than either.

Nashville and Boro are growing at a crazy rate. Housing market is less than 3 mths supply. People selling houses within hours on market at higher than list

I think Nashville is also larger than Atlanta if you just consider urban population. But metro Denver and metro Atlanta are considerably larger than metro Nashville at this point, both probably by at least 1m. But metro Nashville, which includes M'boro, Franklin, etc., is likely growing at a much faster rate right now than either.

Atlanta metro 5.5 million
Denver metro 2.7 million
Nashville metro 1.7 million

Friend of mine is a property manager here and he said 85 people per day are moving into Nashville. They can't build new apartment complexes fast enough. Also looked at the tn.gov website recently at the projected population growth for TN over the next decade and the state is expected to grow by 1 million, with the majority moving into Davidson, Rutherford, and Williamson counties. If TSSAA will catch up with the times then maybe TN can be a new hot bed for recruiting.

I can vouch for the growth here in Mt. Juliet. Just in the past year we have approved over 2,000 new homes and that doesn't touch the new apartments coming on line and other homes already under construction. I was told we are the fastest growing city in the state, though I can't confirm the stats.

As to the point at hand, the general population growth will eventually make the metro Nashville area compare with others like Charlotte, Austin, Denver and other similarly sized cities. Just think about what that means for in-state recruiting. Own the Nashville market as a starting point, and UT will always recruit well.

I can vouch for the growth here in Mt. Juliet. Just in the past year we have approved over 2,000 new homes and that doesn't touch the new apartments coming on line and other homes already under construction. I was told we are the fastest growing city in the state, though I can't confirm the stats.

As to the point at hand, the general population growth will eventually make the metro Nashville area compare with others like Charlotte, Austin, Denver and other similarly sized cities. Just think about what that means for in-state recruiting. Own the Nashville market as a starting point, and UT will always recruit well.

I remember when the Providence exit was a Ruby Tuesday and a Cracker Barrel. Not really that long ago.

Good info guys. But i'm going to take the wheel another direction from this population dynamics discussion.

In the last 2 years alone:

Derek Barnett- 4 star and the best DE in college football...

Jalen Hurd- 5 star Also one of the best young rb's in a conference loaded with young rb's

Josh Malone- 5 star and ready for a breakout soph season

Jashon Robertson- Freshman ALL SEC, All-American

Rashuan Gaulden- Starting nickel back and emerging force on special team

Aaron Medley- One of the best young kicker in the SEC

Kyle Phillips- 5 star! And will contribute on already loaded d-line

Justin Martin- 4 star and might be the best athlete on the team. Probably the fastest on the field ...in the conference.

Jack Jones -4 star and could start already

Jauan Jennings- 4 star dynamic QB turned into possibly dangerous WR

Vincent Perry- very good prospect

Not to mention
Sawyers 4 star
Wharton 4 star
Who were talented but just couldn't cut it.

Who needs to recruit Texas or South Florida when you have talent like this 3 hours away.
Then we have ATL to the south and NC to the East...

We don't even need to go to Miss or Louisiana or Ohio- all states within recruitng range loaded with talent.

Reactions: 4 people
Where is the growth coming from? I have met a lot of people from Michigan, mostly Detroit. Alabama would be second from what I have noticed.

As a middle Tennessee guy that played with Bo Wallace and against Dont'a Hightower (for all four years, it was awful) I was always surprised that a lot more coaches weren't scowering the midstate in search of talent. Nashville is one of the fastest growing areas in the country and I'm happy to see the high school football in middle Tennessee (and the whole state in general) is RAPIDLY improving. Hopefully the upward trend will continue and we can fill our roster with more Tennessee guys. Vandy has about as much chance of being a threat to our recruiting the Nashville area as Mason and Co. have at going undefeated this year, but Ole Miss for whatever reason seems to really like to recruit Music City. If we can keep improving and winning games then I see know reason we can't get whoever we want from the midstate, and that's a VERY good thing.

Nashville is one of the coolest cites in the US. I live in the 12th South area here in Nashville and love it. This town's only going to get bigger and they need to put some type of mass transit rail system in place before the traffic becomes as bad as ATL.

Reactions: 1 person
The Clarksville area north of Nashville is growing fast and produces some talent as well. I grew up in the Antioch area but now live between Nashville and Clarksville. The entire midstate area is really blowing up. Murfreesboro/Hendersonville/ Davidson County/Brentwood/ Franklin/Mt Juliet/ Clarksville are all areas that either are or will produce top shelf talent in the near future....... coaches better forge strong relationships in these areas.

The Clarksville area north of Nashville is growing fast and produces some talent as well. I grew up in the Antioch area but now live between Nashville and Clarksville. The entire midstate area is really blowing up. Murfreesboro/Hendersonville/ Davidson County/Brentwood/ Franklin/Mt Juliet/ Clarksville are all areas that either are or will produce top shelf talent in the near future....... coaches better forge strong relationships in these areas.

UTs coaches already have. We are entrenched in the Mid-state.

There and ATL are our base. And we are also building pipelines to talent producing schools

Memphis University School
Buford GA
Brentwood Academy
Hillsboro
Creekside GA
Havelock NC

Our recruiting is full proof.

Good info guys. But i'm going to take the wheel another direction from this population dynamics discussion.

In the last 2 years alone:

Derek Barnett- 4 star and the best DE in college football...

Jalen Hurd- 5 star Also one of the best young rb's in a conference loaded with young rb's

Josh Malone- 5 star and ready for a breakout soph season

Jashon Robertson- Freshman ALL SEC, All-American

Rashuan Gaulden- Starting nickel back and emerging force on special team

Aaron Medley- One of the best young kicker in the SEC

Kyle Phillips- 5 star! And will contribute on already loaded d-line

Justin Martin- 4 star and might be the best athlete on the team. Probably the fastest on the field ...in the conference.

Jack Jones -4 star and could start already

Jauan Jennings- 4 star dynamic QB turned into possibly dangerous WR

Vincent Perry- very good prospect

Not to mention
Sawyers 4 star
Wharton 4 star
Who were talented but just couldn't cut it.

Who needs to recruit Texas or South Florida when you have talent like this 3 hours away.
Then we have ATL to the south and NC to the East...

We don't even need to go to Miss or Louisiana or Ohio- all states within recruitng range loaded with talent.
Agree and was thinking the same. The need to go into distant states to find talent will certainly lessen. There will always be some exceptions, but being able to concentrate effort on the big metro areas of Nashville, Atlanta and Charlotte, all close to Knoxville, will be huge..

Reactions: 1 person
Live in Cool Springs area, south of Nashville. There are people moving in here from Illinois, Cali, NY, NJ, Georgia and Maryland in my area just in the last month that I am aware of, no telling where else. Growing at a crazy pace around here and also the SoBro/Gulch area in Nashville.

Where is the growth coming from? I have met a lot of people from Michigan, mostly Detroit. Alabama would be second from what I have noticed.

A lot of it is from the Rust Belt. People that grew up in WI, IL, IN, MI, OH, PA are flocking to Nashville for jobs, affordable housing, great weather, and the nightlife...Midstate is following the same path as Charlotte in the early 2000s and Atlanta in the late 90s. This bodes VERY well for Vols Recruiting.

VN Store

Back