DT) KS 5* Alexis Johnson (JUCO)
DE) GA 4* Chidi Okonya
DE) TN 4* Emmitt Gooden
LB) TN 4* Daniel Bituli
LB) TN 3* Tim Hart
DB) GA 5* Nigel Warrior
DB) TN 4* JoeJuan Williams
DB) NC 4* Marquill Osborne

Total Commits: 20 (Offense:11 & Defense:9).
5*: 4
4*: 13
3*: 3

Final National Rankings: 7th

In this scenario Devante Brooks is a blueshirt prospect & BJ Emmons likely heads to JUCO. Banks & Henderson don't make the final cut. That would be an almost perfect close to the class, but in reality most of those additions are very possible. The biggest long shot on the list would be Derrick Brown. I think he really likes the Vols though and UGA can't sign every 5* DT in the country.

I strongly believe BJ Emmons is a silent commit. The real question is, will he make the grades to get in or have to go the JUCO route?

UT seemingly leads or co-leads with about 10+ elite WR prospects. Kyle Davis, Mecole Hardman, Donnie Corley, Diondre Overton, Binjimen Victor, etc. I'm not sure how it will shake out but TN will end up signing some very good WRs. I think Davis & Corley decides to be Vols. Hardman is likely UGA.

The defense is mostly already set besides Brown & some DB prospects. Gooden wants to be a Vol but also wants all the fame & attention. If there is room on NSD I think he will sign with UT. Nigel Warrior will be a Vol. Butch will not miss on a 5* legacy prospect. His track record speaks for itself. I also believe JoeJuan Williams is a silent commit & will announce at the All-Star games.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 2 people
Assuming we can take 20, it would be amazing to have a top 10 class with limited numbers. Great looking list! I guess I'm still hoping against hope for Hardman.

Also, looks like Guarantano isn't going to be able to pull any of his NJ guys according to your list.

Last edited:
QB) NJ 4* Jarrett Guarantano
RB) NC 4* BJ Emmons
WR) GA 5* Kyle Davis
WR) MI 4* Donnie Corley
WR) CA 4* Jeff George (JUCO)
TE) DC 4* Devante Brooks
TE) TN 3* Austin Pope
OL) TN 4* Bryce Marthews
OL) TN 4* Ryan Johnson
OL) NC 4* Landon Dickerson
ATH) TN 3* Dillon Mitchell

DT) GA 5* Derrick Brown
DE) GA 4* Chidi Okonya
DE) TN 4* Emmitt Gooden
LB) TN 4* Daniel Bituli
LB) TN 3* Tim Hart
DB) GA 5* Nigel Warrior

In this scenario Devante Brooks is a blueshirt prospect & BJ Emmons likely heads to JUCO. Banks & Henderson don't make the final cut. That would be an almost perfect close to the class, but in reality most of those additions are very possible. The biggest long shot on the list would be Derrick Brown. I think he really likes the Vols though and UGA can't sign every 5* DT in the country.

I strongly believe BJ Emmons is a silent commit. The real question is, will he make the grades to get in or have to go the JUCO route?

UT seemingly leads or co-leads with about 10+ elite WR prospects. Kyle Davis, Mecole Hardman, Donnie Corley, Diondre Overton, Binjimen Victor, etc. I'm not sure how it will shake out but TN will end up signing some very good WRs. I think Davis & Corley decides to be Vols. Hardman is likely UGA.

The defense is mostly already set besides Brown & some DB prospects. Gooden wants to be a Vol but also wants all the fame & attention. If there is room on NSD I think he will sign with UT. Nigel Warrior will be a Vol. Butch will not miss on a 5* legacy prospect. His track record speaks for itself. I also believe JoeJuan Williams is a silent commit & will announce at the All-Star games.

Thoughts?

No way this happens. Can't take Emmons unless he can qualify. UT needs more quality depth at RB in this class. Probably need to take 2 good RBs in this class, in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 person
QB) NJ 4* Jarrett Guarantano
RB) NC 4* BJ Emmons
WR) GA 5* Kyle Davis
WR) MI 4* Donnie Corley
WR) CA 4* Jeff George (JUCO)
TE) DC 4* Devante Brooks
TE) TN 3* Austin Pope
OL) TN 4* Bryce Marthews
OL) TN 4* Ryan Johnson
OL) NC 4* Landon Dickerson
ATH) TN 3* Dillon Mitchell

DT) GA 5* Derrick Brown
DE) GA 4* Chidi Okonya
DE) TN 4* Emmitt Gooden
LB) TN 4* Daniel Bituli
LB) TN 3* Tim Hart
DB) GA 5* Nigel Warrior

Thoughts?

Are you assuming TaDarryl Marshall doesn't make the final cut?

I just don't see how / why we take 2 TEs this cycle.

I agree with you on Banks & Henderson. Marshall possibly as well.

Still holding out hope on Mecole :)

I don't see Donte Vaughn on the list. There is no way this staff passes on a 4* in state kid if he decides to commit.

I don't see Donte Vaughn on the list. There is no way this staff passes on a 4* in state kid if he decides to commit.

"No way"???

We are only taking 17-18 this cycle.
What if an out of state 5 Star DB wants in? Tell him no?

I think they make room for both. Butch would find a way.

At least a couple of our insiders have stated that the class will in fact be small, and very tight. Butch & Staff appear to have no interest in reducing slots for the '17 class.

I can't imagine that they would look to "make room" for a fringe 4 Star, even an instate one.

Let me ask you this; If we only take 3 DB's this cycle, which of these 3 would you cut for Vaughn?

Nigel Warrior
JoeJuan Williams
Marquill Osborne

Would you take Vaughn over Nigel Knott?

"No way"???

We are only taking 17-18 this cycle.
What if an out of state 5 Star DB wants in? Tell him no?

I have been watching recruiting since the '70's. We almost always take more than it looks like in July. I am not looking for 30 or anything, but don't be surprised if it is somewhere in the low twenty's.

I have been watching recruiting since the '70's. We almost always take more than it looks like in July. I am not looking for 30 or anything, but don't be surprised if it is somewhere in the low twenty's.

Oh I won't be surprised if the number goes up. Good chance there is some attrition that pushes it northward.

That 18 just happens to be a number referenced by multiple insiders and media guys.

It's not like we're going off a number thrown up by Leb :)

:hi:

At least a couple of our insiders have stated that the class will in fact be small, and very tight. Butch & Staff appear to have no interest in reducing slots for the '17 class.

I can't imagine that they would look to "make room" for a fringe 4 Star, even an instate one.

Let me ask you this; If we only take 3 DB's this cycle, which of these 3 would you cut for Vaughn?

Nigel Warrior
JoeJuan Williams
Marquill Osborne

Would you take Vaughn over Nigel Knott?

It's not up to me, it's the coaching staff that makes decisions. As much as Butch talks about locking down the state, and keeping the top talent at home, I just can't see them passing on Donte. Jmo.

It's not up to me, it's the coaching staff that makes decisions. As much as Butch talks about locking down the state, and keeping the top talent at home, I just can't see them passing on Donte. Jmo.

I guess we would have differing definitions of what "top talent" is

I take it you're from Memphis?

There have been several 4* in-state players that the staff hasn't heavily pursued since they arrived here.

There have been several 4* in-state players that the staff hasn't heavily pursued since they arrived here.

Yep.

This staff is after the best players period, not simply the best players in the state.

If some of the best players happen to be instate, that's just an added bonus.

Check out his offer list and get back to me on if he is a top talent.

It's a nice list for sure. Certainly not what I would consider "elite" though.

Go check out Nigel Warrior's & Nigel Knott's offer lists. Those are what elite offer lists look like.

Question still stands. Would you take Vaughn over:

Nigel Warrior
JoeJuan Williams
Marquill Osborne
Nigel Knott

The more I look at this class and who we're in on, I think the average star rating on Rivals will actually be higher than 4* when the ink dries.

Okonya and Marshall are both candidates for 4* bumps, and if Hart lives up to his potential, he's a candidate as well. Austin Pope may be the only true 3* who signs in Feb., but he's fighting an uphill battle for a bump due to being a Knoxville kid.

Guarantano has a small chance of being bumped to 5* with a huge senior season, while Alexis Johnson looks like a lock to be a 5* (Rivals hinted heavily that he will be).

Then we're also in great shape to add Warrior (who is right on the edge of being a 5*) and in the mix for Brown.

Add to that the fact that everyone we add from here on out will likely be a 4* and the class average rating could be somewhere in the range of 4.1 or 4.2, which would be one of the highest in recent history for a class with more than 15 commitments.

It's a nice list for sure. Certainly not what I would consider "elite" though.

Go check out Nigel Warrior's & Nigel Knott's offer lists. Those are what elite offer lists look like.

Question still stands. Would you take Vaughn over:

Nigel Warrior
JoeJuan Williams
Marquill Osborne
Nigel Knott

I'm not a coach or recruiter, so I'm not qualified to say who I would take. Every staff looks at potential and ability differently. Obviously, a lot of coaches feel good about all of these players. My only point is, that if he wants to commit, I don't see him being turned away.

I'm not a coach or recruiter, so I'm not qualified to say who I would take. Every staff looks at potential and ability differently. Obviously, a lot of coaches feel good about all of these players. My only point is, that if he wants to commit, I don't see him being turned away.

At this point, I would disagree.

We already know that multiple players, both instate & out of state, have tried to commit and been told no.

Can't take every 4 Star kid that wants to commit.

:hi:

Taking the number we've heard the insiders throw around being 17, it'll be curious to see how much the commit list changes. My guess is 9 on offense, 8 on defense-

QB- J Guarantano
RB- BJ Emmons
WR- D Corley
WR- K Davis
WR- M Hardman
TE- A Pope
OL- R Johnson
OL- L Dickerson
OL- B Mathews

DL- C Okonya
DL- A Johnson
DL- D Brown
LB- D Bituli
LB- T Hart
DB- N Warrior
DB- M Osborne
DB- N Knott

If it's a choice between Knott and Donte, it would be a no brainier in favor of Knott.

VN Store

Back