Reason why recruiting is down a bit compared to previous 2 classes

VOLorNuttin

What do you guys suspect is the MAIN reason why our recruiting class thus far is way behind where it was the past 2 years?

Me, personally...I'm sure numbers (we can't take as many as we did) has something to do with it, but I think the primary reason is because the top tier recruits are taking a "wait and see" approach to the Vols.

If we do take the SEC E crown, I think we will have another stellar class, despite lower numbers. But if we just pull off a decent season, we will only have a decent class. I think Butch was able to sell both playing time and his record at Cincinnati, for the last 2 classes, but there hasn't been much proof on the field...yet, that this program will be a successful one.

That's why I really think this is sort of a make or break year for the whole staff, in terms of recruiting momentum. An average season after 2 stellar classes will stunt the momentum they have had. But a stellar season will take recruiting to another level. I think the 5* recruits like Gary, Davis, Feaster, Little and others are keeping an eye on the team to see where it's trajectory is.

What say ye?

Reactions: 6 people
I think it is because we are going after higher quality players. They can afford to take their time. This has happened in the past also. Furthermore, some of them like the attention and drag out announcements.

Reactions: 11 people
It's early. I think they are deliberately slowing down and being more selective due to the numbers. I think it also possible to have a stellar class and not be ranked all that high nationally .

Reactions: 23 people
It's early. I think they are deliberately slowing down and being more selective due to the numbers. I think it also possible to have a stellar class and not be ranked all that high nationally .

This all day long.

Most important thing is to sign players that best fill our positions of need.

Reactions: 3 people
Numbers. Plus, O lineman don't have the big splash ratings.
The staff is making sure we have spots for '17. Lots of instate talent.
Lastly, plenty of our guys will get bumps throughout the year. Another bowl game and win, and our class will be top notch

Probably because it's just about time to shut up and start winning. Maybe they're waiting on that. I know most Vol fans are ready.. Tired of sucking.

Reactions: 5 people
I think it is because we are going after higher quality players. They can afford to take their time. This has happened in the past also. Furthermore, some of them like the attention and drag out announcements.

If we're going after higher quality players because we have limited numbers, then why are we taking the commitments of primarily 3 star/lower rated players to this point? Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
we won't sign 30 kids again this year. 18-20 likely. we're being very choosy. which also means we'll have a lot of competition for the ones we really want. it was bound to happen. can't recruit 30 kids every year. we're gonna be fine this year, it just won't have the sticker shock of the last two years' classes.

Well,we can't sell playing time so I think were selling "come and be part of something special" and to sell that you have to win on the field.If we win they will come.

I think they are deliberately slowing down and being more selective due to the numbers. I think it also possible to have a stellar class and not be ranked all that high nationally .

All this. It will be a great DB, Oline, WR, and QB class but I think we'll end at 18 to 19 recruits.

If we're going after higher quality players because we have limited numbers, then why are we taking the commitments of primarily 3 star/lower rated players to this point? Doesn't make sense.

Until Butch gives me a reason to doubt him, I for one am going to trust that he knows what he is doing. He seems to have a better than average eye for talent. His 2 and 3 star players he has found perform at a much higher level than their star ratings would indicate. E. Moseley, Cam Sutton, etc.

Reactions: 7 people
Butch had 2 great years but needs to keep it up.
Saban does it every year so we know it's possible.

We have 12 kids committed. I wouldn't say we're recruiting very slow just slower than last year when we had about 4 more kids in the class by this point.

Reactions: 1 person

Some will be bumped to higher stars when re-evaluated. And some will be bumped for other players. And some are just good, undervalued finds by the staff that fit the needs of the team.

Of the 8 3*s:
  • Banks will be gone
  • Pope and Henderson could be bumped to 4*
  • George and Johnson may or may not be bumped, but both are top JuCo guys at their positions
  • Brooks won't be bumped because of sitting out with injury, but he's a highly touted TE.
  • I don't know much about Marshall, but he has 22 offers including Bama, so I'd say he'll be a good contributer.
  • Hart is an instate, versatile LB that provides depth.

Personally, I don't see any problems with our class thus far.

Butch had 2 great years but needs to keep it up.
Saban does it every year so we know it's possible.

We need some of these for that theory to work:

Lays-ChampionChips-1.jpg

we won't sign 30 kids again this year. 18-20 likely. we're being very choosy. which also means we'll have a lot of competition for the ones we really want. it was bound to happen. can't recruit 30 kids every year. we're gonna be fine this year, it just won't have the sticker shock of the last two years' classes.

Define choosy. It appears that Butch is accepting the commitments of players he thinks fit the program and his recruiting profile. Clearly, to this point, a player's 24/7 or Rivals rating doesn't square with him being "choosy". At the end of the day, I believe we'll see this class finish with several higher rates players than the collective rating of the players we currently have committed. However, saying we're being choosy to this point as a reason for why our class is currently rated much lower than at this point each of the last 2 years just doesn't make sense.

Butch does not have to win the recruiting services hype wars this year. He won it 2 years in a row with a decimated program and loaded the roster up. A class of less than 20 will not deliver big hype, it will deliver quality football players in positions of need to round out an already strong roster. We know he stages commitments out over time anyway.

Time to win.

It's pretty obvious we aren't getting the bump from legacies this cycle like we did the previous two classes. That's a huge difference maker.

in '14 we got tkjr, berry twins, and bates and in '15 our top recruit and only consensus 5* in KMac.

VN Store

Back