'16 FL DE Jordan Woods (Georgia Tech commit)

“I didn’t get to go up there this week, but my coach called me on my phone and he told me, ‘You got an offer from Tennessee,’” said Woods, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 311 overall prospect and No. 18 strong side defensive end in the 247Sports Composite for the 2016 class. “It was definitely a blessing that I got that offer.”

“He (Jancek) was just telling me, ‘You’d be a great fit in the system. That’s what we want up here. Obviously, we really want to get you up here because we’re building something special, and we really want you to be a part of it,’” Woods said.

“I’m definitely going to try to visit there when I get a chance to. I think it would be a good school,” Woods said.

“I like what they’re doing and who they’re bringing in and how much better they’re getting over the years, especially under Butch Jones. He’s really a great coach, and since he first got there, he’s improved the team and he’s been preaching that their time is coming. I really like that about him. He doesn’t know that yet, but I’m going to tell him when I get a chance. “I really think Tennessee can be a wild card in this recruiting cycle.”

Woods said he’s also aware that Swain is high on Tennessee, and he’s hoping to talk with Swain soon about his trip to Knoxville on Sunday.

“He hasn’t mentioned why he likes them, but he has mentioned to me that he likes Rocky Top,” Woods said. “I’ll talk to him about it and how everything transpired there on his visit and try to get a feel for it from another person’s point of view.”

Also says that he could wait to announce on NSD, but he could potentially announce as early as three months from now.

Reactions: 5 people
Tennessee: "Just like Louisville and West Virginia they are on the up and getting better and better. I like their progression."

He said he 'may' visit West Virginia and Tennessee as well prior to making his late summer college choice.

"Everybody has a chance," Woods said. "I want to give everyone a real shot. There's no real leader."

247 Ryan Bartow

Vols make final six

Tennessee: "I love what the head coach is doing. These past couple of seasons he's making Tennessee more of a contender. Growing up thirty minutes from Gainesville, it's a tradition for them to beat Tennessee very year. These past couple of years it seems like Tennessee has a chance of beating Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. They can line up against every team and be a competitor. It's a great school and I like the direction they're moving and the attitude they have about themselves."

Rivals

Reactions: 5 people
Per Hubbs

Finally, add another name to the defensive end board with Jordan Woods. He's someone that could be worth remembering depending on how the Vols' class shapes out at defensive line over the next few months.

Reactions: 1 person
Per P Fort

Also, I talked to Jordan Woods out of Ocala, Fla., and he has a couple of teammates that really like the Vols, in Freddie Swain and 2017 offensive lineman Blake Vinson. Woods, like Polite, said he's planning on taking an official visit to Knoxville. He has tentative plans to commit before the season, Florida are the heavy favorites, but said he will still take visits afterwards. He has a top six of Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, West Virginia, Miami and Louisville. He said he could possibly wait to do something when Swain does something in October. Speaking of Swain, hearing it's a Florida-Tennessee battle right now.

If he is waiting on Swain that can't be good for us. Im starting to think HG is right and think he is leaning towards Florida. We will see what happens hopefully he will be a VOL. ( talking about Swain)

I need you to come through with a "drive by" Trojan princess and give us an update. LOL.

I like Swain and think he could be Hardmans replacement. Maybe not as good at this moment but a college training progam and who knows what will happen he could end up better who knows.

If he is waiting on Swain that can't be good for us. Im starting to think HG is right and think he is leaning towards Florida. We will see what happens hopefully he will be a VOL. ( talking about Swain)

I need you to come through with a "drive by" Trojan princess and give us an update. LOL.

I like Swain and think he could be Hardmans replacement. Maybe not as good at this moment but a college training progam and who knows what will happen he could end up better who knows.

Agree. HG knows whats up on the Florida guys among others.

Tiger woods?

James Woods?

latest

Reactions: 3 people
Vols are in line to receive an OV from this Florida DE

Jordan Woods, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound defensive lineman out of Citra (Fla.) Marion, knows of four official visits for the fall and Tennessee is one of those schools. His teammate and Scout 100 wide receiver, Freddie Swain, is high on the Vols and will take an official visit in the fall as well. Tons of big-time talent at North Marion.

“i hear it’s a great place,” said woods, who’s ranked the nation’s no. 343 overall prospect and no. 18 strongside defensive end in the 247sports composite for the 2016 class. “it’s a chill-type deal. They have a big football program. They like football in tennessee. They say some great things about rocky top.

“ever since coach jones got up there, they’ve really just been stepping up every year.”

Reactions: 2 people
Per P Fort

"Being from Florida you just don't know a lot about the other Southern states if you don't visit them," Woods explained. "I had this idea of Tennessee and it was this way and when I got there I was feeling the vibe from when I jumped off the van to when I left.

"The fans up there, like seeing them and talking to them after the 'Vol Walk,' you could tell there was something special and some real excitement about the place. There was something different about them. It surpassed everything I thought about them. What I thought about them it was totally different.

"Tennessee came into the picture late. They were an option, but there wasn't anything big. But, everybody was telling me I need to think about Tennessee so I said, 'Ok, I'll try it out.'

"So, I tried it out and it became fun. It felt like home. It felt like I was back in North Marion playing a game."

"I asked coach Jones, 'What separates Tennessee from other schools?' Because everybody has good facilities and everybody has tutors, what is that makes them different. He said it was the people around you.

"They are the place like Waffle House that has their regulars and they know what you're going to get and how you like it every time you walk in.

"Like, when I was walking the streets after the game and they saw my tag and they would tell me about why they came to Tennessee and why they love it. Not just, 'We want you to come play football.'

"Like coach Jones was talking about, the power of Tennessee Football is the people. Just the vibe, the whole city there."

Woods was able to spend a good deal of time with Jones and defensive line coach Steve Stripling over the weekend and said he felt comfortable around both coaches.

"One thing about me, I can pick up on vibes, quick. I can pickup on people's personalities quick," Woods said. "When I met coach Jones and coach Strip -- people are going to be coaches and try to recruit you, but you can feel the inner part of them. You can see what they do differently. I know that any coach is going to coach me hard. But, I could feel that they were good persons and they liked to joke around and laugh and that was cool. That was a good feeling with them."

"They are definitely firmly in the mix," Woods said. "Like, my mom was saying let's go ahead and get this official visit over with. But, now Tennessee moved up in her mind. She likes Tennessee now, she likes what they're doing. My brother, same thing. We were out on the streets and he saw Josh Dobbs and he said, 'Josh Dobbs is my favorite quarterback now.'

"Everybody's minds were changed about Tennessee. We didn't know Rocky Top could be like that."

Reactions: 19 people
Those are some pretty strong statements. I think (could be wrong though) that maybe, just maybe, he and his family enjoyed their trip to Knoxville.

VN Store

Back