'16 TN TE/LB Austin Pope (UT commit 6/15/15)

de1conley

Tight end
Knoxville, Tennessee
Christian Academy Of Knoxville
View Map
Ht:6'4"
Wt:218 lbs
40:4.62 secs
Bench Max:275
Squat Max:380
Shuttle:4.41
Vertical:32 inches
Class:2016 (High School)

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1768995

https://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/NPA-Camp-Highlights-1134627

(Volquest)
Austin Pope, the Christian Academy of Knoxville TE/LB had a really good day today at NPA camp as a slot receiver (he's 6-4, 220 and can move. He'll camp at Tennessee in June and is excited about that. Jancek came by his school last week to see practice and he's talked to Butch Jones over the phone and it sounds like there's a chance Tennessee gets involved there.

They may not be the only ones as Southern Cal, Missouri and several others have turned up the interest here recently.

Not much more new out of the even than that, but some guys really had good days like Pope.

He's had a lot of interest from several schools since the Nebraska offer and today he showed why he's deserving. He's a big target that knows how to use his body and he can catch the ball really well away from his body and knows how to high-point the ball. Because he's more of a slot receiver I'm not sure he can block but I think he's athletic enough to play at a Big 5 conference school so I'll be really interested to see what happens with him and if Tennessee finds a spot for him in this class.

I think if this was last year or the year before and Tennessee is taking 30+, then he's a take no doubt.

-Might I add to this that the match up between him and Tyrel Dodson was a one to see.

Attachments

• Austin Pope.jpg
    Austin Pope.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,881
Reactions: 6 people
I know we said we didn't want as many developemental players this cycle but this kid has potential on both sides.. Tight End more or less

How many seniors do we have leaving after this season?

Not to go all "Leb" here, but we only have 13 scholarship seniors (Matt Giampapa and Max Arnold would make 14 and 15 if they are/were awarded scholarships at some point). We'll end up signing more recruits than that due attrition of course, but (barring an unforeseen mass exodus) it will be a considerably smaller class than the last 2 years.

Not to go all "Leb" here, but we only have 13 scholarship seniors (Matt Giampapa and Max Arnold would make 14 and 15 if they are/were awarded scholarships at some point). We'll end up signing more recruits than that due attrition of course, but (barring an unforeseen mass exodus) it will be a considerably smaller class than the last 2 years.

lol I was going for a Leb joke when I asked the question.

"We can only sign 13 commits, 13 is the number IMO"

-LebVol

Reactions: 1 person

Time Bomb

This award goes to the player that's about to blow up on the recruiting trail and Pope fits that bill perfectly. He already has a handful of offers, including a recent one courtesy of Nebraska, his first Power Five offer to date. But if Pope performs in camps as he did on Sunday, the Huskers won't be alone for long. The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder has terrific hands, runs great routes and has football speed. He will need to add some weight to handle the rigors of tight end in college, but has the frame to add bulk without losing any speed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I think Austin would be a solid pick-up but with Devante Brooks already committed and this being a smaller class I just don't see us taking him, at best he would be a back-up if Brooks went elsewhere which I really don't see happening. Maybe if we miss on some other positions but that's it

Devante tore his ACL again, same knee. I think we need another TE just in case.

I could see us taking him if Kyle Oliver doesn't look like a significant upgrade over what is on the current roster, or unless the younger Wolfe is one of the biggest surprises of this class. After the Helm transfer, we currently only have 1 quality SEC caliber TE on the depth chart. Oliver is a developmental type, but I hope he really surprises immediately.

VN Store

Back