'16 TN LB Tyrel Dodson

has been in constant contact with coach Thigpen. Kid was slowed this off season by a minor knee issue, but has since been cleaned up by surgery. Sunday at camp this kid was absolutely a show stopper at LB. TD had a strong day from the linebacker spot and while he's best suited for playing against the run, he also had a good day in pass coverage. He had a chance to work with the starting MLB from the TN Titans Avery Williamson and UT signee DKJ. TD took home the over all camp MVP

we gonna offer or what?

They have been wanting to since right after signing day. Like I said he was playing throughout the playoffs and regular season with a lingering knee issue. On several occasions Thig has asked about and been in town talking to him. This is one big, athletic, thick, and physical kid. Plays RB on offense too. I noticed him and invited him to NPA immediately following the game in which they lost the 1st time to Centennial. Coach Shawn Jefferson and I were on the sidelines and he said Juan sign that kid up. This was from a NFL coach who was once a team mate of Jr. Seau. Also with us was Quentin Groves right there and said that kid has the ability to play on Sundays if he keeps working. So I immediately called Thig and he was on the way to town. I spoke on the name and he was headed to the school already. It's a developing situation and who knows what is going to happen.

Reactions: 9 people
I like this kids game. He's big, athletic and has a nose for the ball. Very physical too!

I think this kid will develop and make a good college LB, but I'm not sure he has the foot speed to play LB in the SEC? The one and only knock I have on him. Jmo

Reactions: savannahfan
May be a dumb question but..Do we need more LBs at the moment?

I like this kids game. He's big, athletic and has a nose for the ball. Very physical too!

I think this kid will develop and make a good college LB, but I'm not sure he has the foot speed to play LB in the SEC? The one and only knock I have on him. Jmo

Honestly, the kid looks faster than most of our current linebackers on roster save Maggit/Maybin. His running back highlights should show you all you need. He's plenty fast.

for the record he ran a 4.6 at camp on Sunday and his fluidity in drills and 1 on 1s was that of a SEC LB.

Reactions: 3 people
Honestly, the kid looks faster than most of our current linebackers on roster save Maggit/Maybin. His running back highlights should show you all you need. He's plenty fast.

He's playing against hs kids and no he's not a burner. Not knocking the kid at all, but go watch Darren Kirklands highlights.

I'm not even sure what clips you are watching. What I see is a ILB with decent enough speed. Did you expect LB's to have WR speed?

He's playing against hs kids and no he's not a burner. Not knocking the kid at all, but go watch Darren Kirklands highlights.

Pacer do you realize 1. he's also in hs, 2. DKJ is a one in a million LB with elite speed? Out of 20 LBs from coast to coast you'll be lucky to find 1 per every 20 with sideline to sideline speed. That is a is rarity Pacer. TD is a natural run stopper with above avg speed. So to make a fair comparison AJJ with better speed and coverage skills. Before any conclusions are made I'm speaking specifically on his game type not those 2 literally with AJJ being the taller, longer player.

Last edited:
Pacer do you realize 1. he's also in hs, 2. DKJ is a one in a million LB with elite speed? Out of 20 LBs from coast to coast you'll be lucky to find 1 per every 20 with sideline to sideline speed. That is a is rarity Pacer. TD is a natural run stopper with above avg speed. So to make a fair comparison AJJ with better speed and coverage skills. Before any conclusions are made I'm speaking specifically on his game type not those 2 literally with AJJ being the taller, longer player.

Look, I said before that I like his game a lot and I'll say it again. I've seen this kid play in person. He's a baller. I'll leave it at that.. :hi:

Look, I said before that I like his game a lot and I'll say it again. I've seen this kid play in person. He's a baller. I'll leave it at that.. :hi:

Conely wasn't coming down on you.

So what if you haven't seen him in person?
People make me laugh with that stuff...

Conely wasn't coming down on you.

So what if you haven't seen him in person?
People make me laugh with that stuff...

Laugh all you want. It makes a difference....do you think schools throw out schollys to kids based on tape alone? Come on man..

De1, from past camps.... The camp MVP's, how have they fared at the next level. Do you have any specific success stories? Just curious.

My son "grew up" with Ty through elementary and middle school in SpringHill until he moved up to Franklin in 7th grade. Great kid, outstanding athlete, was wondering when he was gonna show up in the forum. My boy saw him play last year and said he was dominant, an absolute beast on both sides of the ball.

Kirkland is a one in a million linebacker? Prone to hyperbole much?

Reactions: 3 people
Kirkland is a one in a million linebacker? Prone to hyperbole much?

Hasn't played one game at the collegiate level yet, so there's no argument either way. He may end up being the best MLB to ever play the game...he may end up a bust. Since we are all Vol fans here, he will be the best ever until he's not.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back