Michigan State taking a page from Vols' recruiting playbook?

Fingers

EAST LANSING — Michigan State's self-styled "Dream Team 16" is gaining momentum since its entry into the social media world, via Twitter on May 6.

"You get early commits or an early guy that's using hash tags and naming the class, that can really get the ball rolling,'' Shurburtt said. "The social media (Twitter) wave kind of had its beginning with those first couple Tennessee classes ... I think a lot of other schools saw it transpire.''

Michigan State's 'Dream Team 16' is taking social media, national team recruiting rankings by storm | MLive.com

lol, Rutgers is trying to do the same thing:

0WMoFa9.png

Lol imitation is the best form of flattery. Go vols

I could go with that but this time next year, those programs will be claiming to have come up with it themselves. And ESPN will back their claim. :)

Reactions: 1 person
I could go with that but this time next year, those programs will be claiming to have come up with it themselves. And ESPN will back their claim. :)

ESPN would say, "Mich. State came up with a new recruiting gimmick this year but Tennessee copied it two years ago."
That's the way they work.
JMO FWIW

Reactions: 15 people
The thought of Rutgers having a "dream team" is a whole lot of lulz

Not really, a class full of low 3 stars would be a dream team to them. Just because their dream team might not be as highly thought of as ours, it doesn't mean it isn't a dream team to them.

We also are not the first to do this. UGA did it in 2011: here is an article headline: Georgia's ‘Dream Team’ recruiting class a mixed bag after three years

Georgia's

Next thing you know Kentucky will be wanting to checkerboard their end zone. Oh wait.....

They aren't talking about the Dream Team moniker being what we started. We started a social media based recruiting revolution. Sure other teams used Twitter a little prior to the 2014 class, but Butch really pushed it as a key part of our recruiting portfolio.

We also are not the first to do this. UGA did it in 2011: here is an article headline: Georgia's ‘Dream Team’ recruiting class a mixed bag after three years

Georgia's

Lol. Georgia wasn't the first to use Dream Team either. People are talking about the recruiting emphasis UT has placed on social media. Jones is the best I've seen at utilizing it as a tool and Volnation is one of the most active fanbases on social media and the internet.

I believe using the Team # to create a team identity and hashtagging it in social media is what they're referring to-- not the use of Dream Team, which OJ made famous.

VN Store

Back