'16 KS DT Alexis Johnson (UT commit 6/16/15)

Does he have an offer rote? Interesting if we took JUCO DT.. But he's a player and plays with good technique for the most part

Reactions: 1 person
Does he have an offer rote? Interesting if we took JUCO DT.. But he's a player and plays with good technique for the most part

If you are going JuCo on defense, DL can provide you with some serious game changers in the right scheme. Look at Aubrey Franklin, Grady Jackson, Tommy Kelly, Leonard Little (Played LB Here), Rob Ninkovich, Sheldon Richardson, Bruce Irvin, Jesse Williams, John Jenkins, Demarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Za'Darius Smith, Sylvester Williams, etc... All Juco players. You can strike gold in JuCo if you find guys that fit your system.

If you are going JuCo on defense, DL can provide you with some serious game changers in the right scheme. Look at Aubrey Franklin, Grady Jackson, Tommy Kelly, Leonard Little (Played LB Here), Rob Ninkovich, Sheldon Richardson, Bruce Irvin, Jesse Williams, John Jenkins, Demarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Za'Darius Smith, Sylvester Williams, etc... All Juco players. You can strike gold in JuCo if you find guys that fit your system.

Sounds like what we say for every juco guy haha

Reactions: 5 people
Sounds like what we say for every juco guy haha

Yeap. It's really bad when you strike out on JuCo players and have zero depth behind them. Dooley recruited JuCo very well, but when they didn't pan out we were done for because he never recruited high schools very well. At least with Butch, if the JuCo guys don't work out he can replace them with very good high school talent. Richmond, Hall, and Jones are living proof of this. It makes taking JuCo players a whole lot less risky.

Yeap. It's really bad when you strike out on JuCo players and have zero depth behind them. Dooley recruited JuCo very well, but when they didn't pan out we were done for because he never recruited high schools very well. At least with Butch, if the JuCo guys don't work out he can replace them with very good high school talent. Richmond, Hall, and Jones are living proof of this. It makes taking JuCo players a whole lot less risky.

True. And we have to continue to recruit JUCO but with numbers tight this class would he have a spot especially with some of the hs DL talent were in on now?

True. And we have to continue to recruit JUCO but with numbers tight this class would he have a spot especially with some of the hs DL talent were in on now?

I am no insider, but Butch seams to cover all bases of recruiting. This seams like a fall back option at the moment, but then again, you never know. I no longer worry about recruiting. Butch has it covered. My concern comes in about 16 weeks or so when we kick off. We are approaching that time where there's no more room for excuses for poor play. I love the direction Butch has taken our program, and I'm excited to see what Butch has in store for us.

Who is Aubrey Franklin? I couldn't find him on internet search. Does OP mean Aubrayo Franklin out of Johnson City Science Hill? If he did mistake the names, did Franklin go JUCO before UT? Again, a cursarory search did not show JUCO for Aubrayo Franklin. A good UT player who showed more talent in the NFL and now shows promise as a coach.

Best of luck Aubrayo from a native Tri Citian (sp). Virginia High, class of 87.

Last edited:
Who is Aubrey Franklin? I couldn't find him on internet search. Does OP mean Aubrayo Franklin out of Johnson City Science Hill? If he did mistake the names, did Franklin go JUCO before UT? Again, a cursarory search did not show JUCO for Aubrayo Franklin. A good UT player who showed more talent in the NFL and now shows promise as a coach.

Best of luck Aubrayo from a native Tri Citian (sp). Virginia High, class of 87.

He went to a community college in Mississippi called Itawamba Community College.

NFL Players who Attended Itawamba Community College - databaseFootball.com

And yes, I made a typo on his name. My bad guys :hi:

Last edited:

You lost me at "Dooley recruited."

Reactions: 10 people
Don't see a big reason to take a JUCO DT next year. We will have so much depth there. But Coach Jones and Strippling are paid the big bucks (well at least one of them) to make those decisions.

Don't see a big reason to take a JUCO DT next year. We will have so much depth there. But Coach Jones and Strippling are paid the big bucks (well at least one of them) to make those decisions.

We lose 3 DT this year don't we? I'm thinking Obrien, williams, and saulsberry

Reactions: 2 people
We lose 3 DT this year don't we? I'm thinking Obrien, williams, and saulsberry

Obrien Is a RS Jr and nobody Saulsberry's career might as well be over already anyway. We'll be lucky to get a couple games out of him this season. Rumors are floating around that he may not play at all.

So for all intents and purposes, we're only losing Williams.

Obrien Is a RS Jr and nobody Saulsberry's career might as well be over already anyway. We'll be lucky to get a couple games out of him this season. Rumors are floating around that he may not play at all.

So for all intents and purposes, we're only losing Williams.

Don't forget about Vickers either. He'll give us solid depth at the 3 tech

VN Store

Back