'16 TN QB DJ Vanderwerf

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
CEUuCq5WIAA093j.jpg

‏@Rivals
A prosthetic leg hasn't geld Tennessee QB DJ Vanderwerf back one bit http://rvls.co/1F4qrvD

Good story. He had his leg amputated when he was nine months old. Plays for Sweetwater and is expected to start this season after going 3-1 as a starter last year. Rivals interviewed him at the Rivals QB challenge in Cincinnati.

Reactions: 24 people
Awesome story. My dad had his arm cut off at work, and never let that stop him from doing anything, including sports. I can't imagine playing QB on a prosthetic leg.

I guarantee you this young man wants NO sympathy from anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
This young man rocks! My Grandad had a prosthetic leg. His favorite saying was "Can't never did do nothing." My Dad always says "How were supposed to tell a man with half a leg you couldn't do something."

Reactions: 1 person
I think by now the governing bodies have also waken up to this lack of limitations. When I played ball on the d-line with my prosthetic they were more worried about the other players getting hurt. I think it was an excuse out of fear. But I still played and started.

Reactions: 2 people
Wasn't there a DL recruit a few years ago with half a foot or something like that? He was pretty highly recruited if I remember.

I recall a player from San Jose state a few years back with a prosthetic leg. Played on special teams quite a bit.

Sorry, can't resist. I think this kid is totally awesome though! :)

2fd2af59d1f4fdc04d1f1b30ebaee2bc.jpg

Last edited:
I would be afraid to to tackle the guy bc it might break. I'm not sure how that works.

CEUuCq5WIAA093j.jpg

Good story. He had his leg amputated when he was nine months old. Plays for Sweetwater and is expected to start this season after going 3-1 as a starter last year. Rivals interviewed him at the Rivals QB challenge in Cincinnati.

I coach at Sequoyah (basketball and baseball) which is Sweetwater's biggest rival and have the upmost respect for this kid. Not only is he the starting QB, but he also is their best pitcher on the baseball team, and plays varsity basketball too. He is a great kid with a outstanding attitude, and true competitor. Truly inspirational when you think about what he has had to overcome in order to play the games he loves.

As a rival coach, you're never supposed to pull for your biggest rival, but whenever this kid makes a good play, or has a good game even against us, I'm grinning ear to ear on the inside because of the respect I have for DJ. Always do our best to beat them at all costs, but always want to see this kid play well.

Reactions: 18 people
I coach at Sequoyah (basketball and baseball) which is Sweetwater's biggest rival and have the upmost respect for this kid. Not only is he the starting QB, but he also is their best pitcher on the baseball team, and plays varsity basketball too. He is a great kid with a outstanding attitude, and true competitor. Truly inspirational when you think about what he has had to overcome in order to play the games he loves.

As a rival coach, you're never supposed to pull for your biggest rival, but whenever this kid makes a good play, or has a good game even against us, I'm grinning ear to ear on the inside because of the respect I have for DJ. Always do our best to beat them at all costs, but always want to see this kid play well.

Great post VonoreVol. Thanks for sharing. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Not to take away from him or any athlete with a disability, but look up Clay Dyer on YouTube. Very inspirational what these people are capable of when they set out to do something.

Not to take away from him or any athlete with a disability, but look up Clay Dyer on YouTube. Very inspirational what these people are capable of when they set out to do something.

What do you mean "these people"?
tumblr_lx1chfY2Ax1qkxlolo1_r2_250.gif

Reactions: 3 people
Can we take "(with prosthetic leg)" out of the title and treat him like a normal person...

Can we take "(with prosthetic leg)" out of the title and treat him like a normal person...

Sure. I didn't mean it be be offensive. Just pointing out his accomplishment.

VN Store

Back