'17 GA OT Tony Gray

"It was, nice beautiful. I didn't know anything about them. I learned a lot while I was here, though," Gray said. "I learned that the campus is beautiful, I learned about doing work before doing sports and everything else. They put you where you want to be. "I talked to coach (Don Mahoney). I liked it a lot. It felt like home."

Gray has only visited Tennessee and Georgia and comparing the two institutions facilities he said one was clearly better. "I think Georgia had a beautiful facility but I don't think Georgia had a beautiful facility like Tennessee. Tennessee has a good facility," Gray said

-Rivals

Reactions: 12 people
Woody Wommack:
Two hours after winning OL MVP at @RivalsCamp ATL 2017 OT Tony Gray picked up his first offer from Tennessee

CApbpN3WQAArmB6.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
One of the more impressive offensive linemen in a loaded group at the Opening Regional in Atlanta has seen his recruitment blow up in recent days, and the University of Georgia decided to jump in on Monday.

Per his coach, Lawrenceville (Ga.) Central Gwinnett 2017 offensive tackle Tony Gray has been offered by the Bulldogs. Kentucky and Tennessee offered the 6-foot-5, 265-pound rising junior. As for his interest, Dawgs247 was told that he "likes Georgia a lot."

Gray is expected to visit Georgia on Saturday.

-Kipp Adams. 247

One of the more impressive offensive linemen in a loaded group at the Opening Regional in Atlanta has seen his recruitment blow up in recent days, and the University of Georgia decided to jump in on Monday.

Per his coach, Lawrenceville (Ga.) Central Gwinnett 2017 offensive tackle Tony Gray has been offered by the Bulldogs. Kentucky and Tennessee offered the 6-foot-5, 265-pound rising junior. As for his interest, Dawgs247 was told that he "likes Georgia a lot."

Gray is expected to visit Georgia on Saturday.

-Kipp Adams. 247

I think Florida also offered today, per a twitter post

"Tennessee is on top with Georgia (offered last week) now," said Gray. "I had a good talk with the coaches on my visit and I like Tennessee right now.

"I was just at Tennessee the week before, then I got the offer, and it was exciting," said Gray. "Tennessee being first to offer me means a lot to me. It showed me that they were looking at me early and you can say that is does help them some with me."

Scout

Loved our facilities, especially the barber shop. The coaches made him feel special here and that stood out. Originally thought to be a UGA lock, now UT is a strong player and made a huge first impression.

Gray took a visit to Knoxville at the beginning of March and was blown away with the indoor and outdoor facilities Tennessee has to offer.

“The field, it was beautiful. The locker room was beautiful,” Gray said. “The locker room was more better than the Georgia locker room, to be honest. The indoor field is nice and it’s way bigger than Georgia’s.”

Despite his other offers, Tennessee and Georgia are the two schools at the top of his list right now — one because of its close proximity, the other because of the amenities it provides.

Reactions: 2 people
Gray took a visit to Knoxville at the beginning of March and was blown away with the indoor and outdoor facilities Tennessee has to offer.

“The field, it was beautiful. The locker room was beautiful,” Gray said. “The locker room was more better than the Georgia locker room, to be honest. The indoor field is nice and it’s way bigger than Georgia’s.”

Despite his other offers, Tennessee and Georgia are the two schools at the top of his list right now — one because of its close proximity, the other because of the amenities it provides.

He grammars like VN! Vol lock IMO!

Bump. Vols seem to be out front. Recent Rivals video has him as a potential five star candidate for next year. Crazy that just two months ago he had zero offers.

Reactions: 3 people
Gray had an absolutely monster day at the Atlanta RCS camp in March. He arrived at the camp with zero offers but put on a fantastic performance against some of the best defensive linemen in the country and walked away with the OL MVP and the offers started coming quickly with Tennessee being the first. While the offer certainly made an impression, more and more have been coming in, including one from Georgia, who he admittedly grew up liking and is a fan of.

PF

I started to give you a "like" there, Fingers, when I read the part about us being his first offer, but then I saw the part about UGA, and I just couldn't do it. Sorry, buddy.

Reactions: 5 people
Ahh, everyone remembers their first time. This is hilarious.

"It was crazy," Gray said. "Taking off was the worst part. Landing was alright but taking off and going up in the air ... WHEW. I mean, WHEW."

Gray, who was on the plane with the majority of the Georgia contingent, laughed that nobody had to hold his hand.

"Nah, nobody held my hand," Gray said. "Nigel Warrior and Deangelo Gibbs were in the row right behind me and they made it a little easier. But they also decided they wanted to crack jokes on me on the way up."

- Rivals at the 5 star challenge and his first time on a plane

I bumped Tedarrell Slaton's thread but probably should have bumped Tony Gray's instead, as he's a more realistic prospect at this time. Gray fell in the latest 247 ranking update to #165 overall (I believe he was in the 80s beforehand).

Given how OT is arguably the strongest overall position in the 2017 class, I believe it's important to sign 2 elite OTs. Although Gray may end up an OG instead of OT (pure speculation on my part), he would be a great addition to UT's 2017 class.

Getting OT Trey Smith out of Jackson is immensely critical to successfully addressing 2017 OL needs, but he would only fill one of four to five spots designated for the OL this year. After not signing any OGs in 2016, there is a need to sign two this year. Gray might work as an athletic OG, along with Kanan Ray out of CA.

This (free) 247 article does a better job than I could in listing UT's OL targets:

Tennessee Vols' early Class of 2017 targets: Offensive line

Beyond Trey Smith, I would guess that KY OT Jedrick Wills and GA OT/OG Tony Gray are the other two strongest possibilities currently ranked in 247's top 247. Wills is the #7 rated OT on the 247 composite, Smith is #9 (Trey will soon shoot up the composite ranking), and Gray is the #15 ranked OT in the composite.

Reactions: 1 person
Lawrenceville, Ga., offensive lineman Tony Gray already had a pretty good idea about the Vols when he took in Tennessee's junior day on Saturday.

For the 6-4, 275 pound Gray, Saturday's visit to Rocky Top was his third.

“Today was great,” Gray said. “I got a chance to talk with coach Butch (Jones) again. I wanted to get back up here to Tennessee and see what's going on.”

So what is it that keeps bringing the Peach State prospect back to Knoxville?

“It's the environment. It's the people around here. It's a great environment and I like it,” Gray said.

“Coach Mo. I talk with him a lot. Our relationship is really starting to grow. He keeps everything with you very real.”

Gray also is hearing about the Vols from a couple of recent signees including Nigel Warrior who he talks to some. Gray hopes to continue his road trips this spring with a trip to the Magnolia state and a possible return trip to Knoxville.

“I will probably go to see Ole Miss next,” Gray said. “I will be back up here sometime during the spring to watch them practice. That's important. I want to see how everything goes in terms of how they coach you and how the players are, stuff like that.

“I am looking for home. I'm looking for a place with good academics and where players graduate. That's important to me.”

Gray said he has no timeframe for a decision. He is a Rivals 4-star and the 117th ranked player in the country.
-VQ.

Reactions: 11 people

VN Store

Back