'18 OH RB/ATH Jaelen Gill

Jaelen Gill is from the heart of Big Ten country, yet he has a fondness for the SEC — especially Tennessee.

“Oh my goodness, I loved it,” the sophomore running back said when asked about his recent visit to Knoxville.”It’s completely different from the Big Ten atmosphere. It’s kind of hard to explain. Everything is different. I had a blast. The coaches were nice. The fans there treat you like a celebrity. It was just really cool.”

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/ohio-rb-on-tennessee-visit-its-completely-different-from-the-big-ten-atmosphere

Only a sophomore, the 6-0, 175-pound running back for Westerville South accounted for more than half of his team's total yards (3,076), rushing for 1,553 yards and 19 touchdowns on 189 carries and catching seven passes for 224 yards and three scores. He finished with 1,820 all-purpose yards.

Gill, who was named first-team all-district and all-OCC-Cardinal, already has received interest from several Division I colleges, including Ohio State, Arizona State, Michigan State, Penn State and Tennessee.

"Jaelen was a phenomenal player this year," coach Kyle Stout said. "When you go back and watch his plays, you sit there in awe at some of his moves and what he did with the ball. He had a tremendous season and showed true toughness playing most of the season injured."

Olentangy's Haber named Super 25 captain | ThisWeek Community News

Reactions: 2 people
Steve Wilting
Top25 2018 talent Jaelen Gill high on the #Buckeyes #Spartans #PennState #Tennessee & #UCLA Jaelen Gill, Westerville South, All Purpose Back …

CbRBEqAW0AA5UJ8.jpg:small

"I'm hearing the most from Ohio State," Gill said. "I hear a lot from Michigan State, Tennesee and Penn State, and I'm starting to hear more from Michigan now that they offered."

The 6-0, 170-pound Gill totaled 22 touchdowns and 1,777 all-purpose yards this past season. He doubles as a star outfielder for Westerville South and said that scouts from the Pirates, Mariners and Marlins have all inquired. He clocked a 4.47 in the 40-yard dash at the Best of the Midwest.
-Rivals.

"Also, Jaelen Gill, a top 100 running back out of Ohio, will be in Knoxville this week. He likes Tennessee a good bit. He's from Columbus, Ohio, so the Buckeyes will be tough to beat, but he's at least legitimately interested."

- Fortenberry

"Also, Jaelen Gill, a top 100 running back out of Ohio, will be in Knoxville this week. He likes Tennessee a good bit. He's from Columbus, Ohio, so the Buckeyes will be tough to beat, but he's at least legitimately interested."

- Fortenberry

One thing that is different now than in the last decade is just about every top prospect has us on their radar at some point in their recruitment. They at least give us a look. 5 years ago some guys wouldn't have even fooled with making a trip down.

Reactions: 1 person
One thing that is different now than in the last decade is just about every top prospect has us on their radar at some point in their recruitment. They at least give us a look. 5 years ago some guys wouldn't have even fooled with making a trip down.

Thanks Obama

“Today was good,” said Gill, a four-star prospect who’s ranked as the nation’s No. 19 overall player and No. 1 all-purpose back and the No. 1 prospect from Ohio in the 2018 class.
“Since last time I was here for the South Carolina game, I didn’t get to see the whole campus. But today I got to see the whole campus and everything, go in the Thornton (Athletics Student Life Center), get an academic tour of everything, hang out, all that stuff. It was real fun.
“They’re definitely one of my top schools, hands down. They’re definitely one of my top schools. I said that even after the first time I came here — they were one of the top schools — and I just love it here. It feels like home.”
The 6-foot, 172-pound Gill said getting a better feel for everything Tennessee has to offer helped the Vols “a lot.”
“It definitely helped a lot — just the time that they took out just to make sure I had a good visit and everything — and I appreciate it all,” he said. “I mean, just everything about Tennessee, I just love it. I loved it here.”
He said he “liked it all” at Tennessee, including the people he encountered throughout his visit, starting with Vols coach Butch Jones’ staff.
“I like the people a lot, too,” Gill said. “Everybody here is kind of just chill, relaxed and everything. Everybody’s nice. Just the campus and everything itself, everything is just real pretty. The coaching staff, I got to talk to almost everybody today. I could tell that they genuinely love me, and I love them, as well. I like it all here.”
Gill received an early scholarship offer from Tennessee in February 2015, shortly after his freshman season. He now holds offers from Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, UCLA, Notre Dame, Penn State and Southern California, among others.
One of only a small group of prospects in the 2018 class who will be participating in next month’s Nike The Opening Finals in Oregon, Gill said he’s not sure when or where his next visit will be.
“I have nothing set up, really,” he said. “I mean, next time that I’m heading out somewhere, I’ll be going out to Oregon for The Opening. That’s about it.”

Reactions: 1 person
I believe after the big year that Hurd and Kamara will have (I think Kelly will have a pretty good year also as 3rd string.), Gillespie will be a hot coaching commodity next off season. Hopefully they will pay the man to keep him here.

I believe after the big year that Hurd and Kamara will have (I think Kelly will have a pretty good year also as 3rd string.), Gillespie will be a hot coaching commodity next off season. Hopefully they will pay the man to keep him here.

Co-OC and run game coordinator maybe? Maybe mold him to be our full-time OC.

Depends on who replaces him.

I would hate to lose CRG but the more Butch builds a coaching tree the better. That would mean the top young position coaches would be beating down the door to work for Butch and UT benefits.

I feel like that screams he'll stay up north though.

Probably, but it does give UT the added bonus of "getting to play in the SEC" that the rest of his top group can't give him. This is all assuming that group doesn't get any other additions to it as he narrows it down.

VN Store

Back