'17 VA RB Khalan Laborn

Justin Rowland ‏@RowlandRIVALS

Four-star '17 back Khalan Laborn eyeing trips to #FSU #RockyTop #OhioState & others sometime this summer.

CITcWXUUwAQgBgq.jpg

Last spring, Khalan Laborn’s recruitment exploded. Now, he has offers from across the country.

The list includes Alabama, Auburn, Arizona State, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Ohio State, NC State, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Penn State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Tennessee and Rutgers among others.

”I’m still wide open with my recruiting,” said the 5-foot-9, 195-pound Laborn. “I don’t have any favorites right now.”

Over the summer, the four-star running back visited Georgia, Florida State, Tennessee and Virginia Tech.
Laborn’s third visit was Tennessee.

”Tennessee is a great place and I like their facilities,” he said. “The coaches really care about you and make you feel like family. My favorite part of the visit was talking to Butch Jones. He told me if I kept working hard, I’d do great things.”

Update to the first post. He transferred to Ocean Lakes for his junior year and will take over the majority of the rushing attempts for Jaason Lewis.

Corrected to Ocean Lakes HS...Thanks NochNoch...go Vols!

Dude looks like a bowling ball of muscle. Would love for him to be UT bound but Richardson and Chandler should def be option 1a and 1b.

My guess is this kid ends up at FSU in the end. They pull so many of the best kids out of that area each year.

Dude looks like a bowling ball of muscle. Would love for him to be UT bound but Richardson and Chandler should def be option 1a and 1b.

My guess is this kid ends up at FSU in the end. They pull so many of the best kids out of that area each year.

Probably the most likely scenario at this point but getting Mitchell, Laborn, and Gaddy all on campus is a nice first step. Gaddy transferred beforehand but now both Labron and Mitchell have followed the new coach to Bishop Sullivan, and they probably aren't going to be the only ones. Getting traction at that school would be a very good thing.

Reactions: 1 person
Underclassman Eval

STRENGTHS: Flashes a quick first step and has enough speed to get the edge. Strong, well balanced runner with good vision and anticipation. Shows good patience and the lateral agility to make quick cuts and elude defenders in space. Shows very good ball skills out of the backfield.

AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT: Lacks elite top end speed. Short, but not small. Lacks sudden speed and explosiveness. Is a one gear guy.

BOTTOM LINE: Laborn is the type of guy who will not wow you with any particular skill, but he is one darn good football player. He will need to add bulk, but he has the athleticism, savvy and power to be a solid back at the next level.

-ESPN Scouting Report

Reactions: 1 person
VA RB Khalan Laborn fell in the latest 247 rankings to #62 overall (from the lower 40s). As recruitniks know, Ocean Lakes is loaded with talent each year. This year, three from that school are important targets in 2017: Laborn, DT Eric Crosby, and WR Tahj Capehart. Importantly, one of UT's top targets in 2018 is also at Ocean Lakes: Teradja Mitchell, a top 50 talent who could end up a 5* if he does not outgrow the LB position.

Nochnoch, correct me if I'm wrong about Mitchell being at Ocean Lakes. Did he transfer to Bishop Sullivan? Where was Laborn before the transfer? Was he at the same school Jordan Williams attends, which is also in Virginia Beach (Frank W. Cox)? Perhaps you can clear up the confusion on the connection between these VA players...

Recruiting in VA will be very critical this cycle. UT is after 10 of the top 11 rated players in VA: (1) RB Khalan Laborn, (2) Vilain, (3) Williams, (4) ATH Devon Hunter, (5) Matos, (6) Ewell, (7) Crosby, (8) Gaddy, (10) Garbutt, (11) WR Tahj Capehart

It is interesting to note that the talent in VA this year is not nearly as strong as the talent in TN -- which s quite unusual. Actually, while the talent in TN is up dramatically this year, the opposite could be said for the talent in VA (only 3 in the top 100 in 2017 and Laborn is the only one in the top 75). Perhaps several VA players will experience a boost to their rating after their senior year...

Nochnoch, correct me if I'm wrong about Mitchell being at Ocean Lakes. Did he transfer to Bishop Sullivan? Where was Laborn before the transfer? Was he at the same school Jordan Williams attends, which is also in Virginia Beach (Frank W. Cox)? Perhaps you can clear up the confusion on the connection between these VA players...

You are correct. Two years ago he was at Cox and then last year he had moved over to Ocean Lakes. Now that the Oc. La. coach has moved along to Sullivan, Laborn followed him there and will play at BS in 16.

The top-100 junior running back from Ocean Lakes High School in Virginia Beach, Va., said he expects to return to Tennessee “sometime in March,” and while his “options are open” as he continues exploring his lengthy list of college choices, he’s giving the Vols strong consideration.

Laborn, who claims offers from 26 schools, said he was impressed during his trips to Tennessee last year for one of its camps and its home game Sept. 12 against Oklahoma.

He said he also likes what he has continued to hear from Vols coach Butch Jones’ staff in recent months.

“What stands out is their coaches. I can tell they take care of their players,” said Laborn, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 43 overall prospect and No. 2 all-purpose back in the 247Sports Composite for the 2017 class. “I know it’s like a family at Tennessee — just, like, how the coaches are to the players and how close the players are to their coaches and stuff.

“All my options are open, but Tennessee is a school that I could consider.”

The 5-foot-10, 195-pound Laborn said he was blown away by the atmosphere inside Neyland Stadium during his latest trip to Tennessee more than five months ago for the Vols’ loss to the Sooners.

“The fans are crazy,” he said. “They are some loyal, wild fans. I had that in mind about their fans, but I didn’t know it was like that.”

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back